86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First truck questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First truck questions

Hey all, how does the truck look? http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4542292749.html

It will be my first toyota, I've looked up a lot about this engine (3.0 v6) sounds like some head gasket problems, looks like this one has been replaced.

Any thoughts? I will be using it to pull a quad on a small trailer, and to do some easy 4x4ing with, and probably a daily driver around town.

Look like a good deal or nahh? Let me know, any input is appreciated! Thanks.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good from what is shown. Driver side seat may be worn out as it has a seat cover on it.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Looks good from what is shown. Driver side seat may be worn out as it has a seat cover on it.
Yeah I noticed that, not to worried about it, but everything motor wise sounds good? Like the repairs/replaced parts. the only thing I've seen wrong with these years is the head gasket, but it looks like this one has already been done.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to take a look at it and check it out. The ad gives the impression it is in good condition and maintained at a reasonable.

Test drive it.....kick the tires so to speak before coming to terms on a price.

Last edited by rworegon; 06-27-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Like the others said, check it out, test drive it to see if stuff rattles and/or smells burnt with smoke. Check the oil dipstick if any metal shavings are present. Same for the transmission fluid if automatic, power steering and brake fluid. Good luck
Old 06-28-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

My question do you have the needed skills to wrench on this as needed or do you need to pay someone to do all the work??

I did not see the mention that the timing belt was done .Oversight or this is why the truck is for sale??

Then we have all seen the list of new parts that were installed 3 years ago so all should be good.

Take it for a good ride check and make sure the 4x4 system works good both Hi and Low range

The more things you can find wrong the less of a offer to make.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:45 AM

The price is reasonable for the mileage, recent work done, and apparently well-cared for condition. Make sure that there is some kind of paper work for the timing work because you won't sleep well if cant be sure. A lot of stuff is said to have been done, here, so just ask for proof.

The truck seems likely to have led a comfortable existence. The owner(s) have favored looks over function, implying that the truck hasn't been worked hard. Which leads me to:

This is my own bias, but I'm put off by some of the aftermarket stuff. Smittybuilt bumper and lightbar kind of indicate a superficial approach to building the vehicle. But, like I said, just my prejudice.

Things I like: shiny paint; nice interior (minus torn seat, which is super common); low miles; smaller tires (less likely to have been hammered off-road).

Things I don't like: automatic transmission (makes the 3.slo even slower); kind of silly bling.

Things to check:

look online for a list of things to check on used cars.

check all of the bushings. If ALL of them are shot then you might have a truck that has been kept pretty but not mechanically maintained. These are easy to locate and examine.

look for significant build up of oil or grease under the vehicle. Even a very large amount could be a seeping power steering rez, so try to locate the source(s). Valve gaskets and main seals are common culprits.

After purchasing please post your proud pictures on this site
Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, going to look at it today.. Got a good list of things to check. And I do most of my own work unless it's major motor stuff,so I should be good to go, will post later what I find
Old 06-28-2014, 07:51 PM

Ok, well the guy sold the truck out from under me.. I don't see why people do that..

What you all think of this one, http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4535506641.html

I talked the guy down to $6500, which still seems a little high, but it has pretty low miles, and looks in good shape, said he bought it from his grandpa 2 yrs back, and has been restoring/upgrading since then. Hog been done, no leaks, but I will inspect..

Any input, thanks all again
Old 06-28-2014, 08:23 PM

I'd knock him down little more I bought my 93 bone stock from original owner with 107k original miles. I'm in oregon so we have close to the same price wise these pickups go around here. I laid $5600 for mine but I didn't have engine work done and I've put in 3k-4k so far with lift and tires and random things. It's worth how ever much you think it is. Does have extras. Find out if timing, water pump, clutch , and headgasket have been replaced.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks good but you need to see it in person and do all the checks suggested above. I was looking for oil drips beneath the truck in the photos where he has it in the garage but none. Engine looks clean which is a good sign. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Motodmast
Ok, well the guy sold the truck out from under me.. I don't see why people do that..

What you all think of this one, http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4535506641.html

I talked the guy down to $6500, which still seems a little high, but it has pretty low miles, and looks in good shape, said he bought it from his grandpa 2 yrs back, and has been restoring/upgrading since then. Hog been done, no leaks, but I will inspect..

Any input, thanks all again
Sigh...I never see trucks with the low mileage you are finding. One thought, at the prices you are looking at you are getting close to the cost of a later model Toyota. There are pros and cons for each, but it's something to consider. Case in point:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4543972256.html

3.4 with supercharger! And factory E-locker...