Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

every journey begins with a single step..

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
every journey begins with a single step..

here goes my step..
I dont know jack diddly about rock crawling. I read a few articles and tutorials on the subject but the majority of what I was reading was over my head. I need to know the basics. My knowledge of gears is limited. I have a 94 ext. cab 4x4 and I would like to upgrade this little truck to perform better offroad. I use the truck as a daily driver but it is off road a good deal of the time. What is the ideal set up for both worlds-daily driver and off road? If there is a handy link someone has to pass on I would appreciate it very much.
thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well...welcome to the journey! i wish i new of a concise place to pick up all the bits of info you will need to help you get started, but its just not that simple. first, i would spend several days getting lost on this forum. if you have any questions about abbreviations, google them. if they don't show up there, ask on the thread. people are usually pretty good about helping out with that sort of stuff. a lot of the questions you will have have already been answered elsewhere, so be careful not to repeat questions. use the search feature of the forum first. then check a few other sites (like the ones i've linked at the bottom). if you still dont have your answer, start a thread about it. chances are you'll get directions to a thread that answers your question or someone will answer it right there. as far as places to start besides this forum (including the wiki pages):

http://www.4x4wire.com/index.php?opt...-faq&Itemid=53

www.marlincrawler.com

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/ (start at the bottom of the page and work upwards.)

hope this gets you started. plenty of reading to do here.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you dont see snow.. you could upgrade the gears in your tcase.. this would give you the same high gear but in low you could crawl over rocks.. gonna want to lock the rear atleast.. air or elock are the best but cost the most.. lock rite or aussie work good for smaller size tires...