86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine off - temp sky rockets

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
The temp overshoot only happens if you have your heater on. It's because of the way the piping is designed and how the return from the heater core is attached. Just in case you have a different perception on the actual issue.

If you have to turn the heater on to eliminate the problem, then the overshoot isn't what's causing it.
the issue your talking about is completely unrelated to the one I started this thread about, BUT I do have the one your talking about where it overheats if I turn the heater on. I meant I don't even touch the AC/heater/temp adjusters so as not to accidentally piss off the ol Turd On Wheels.

What I'm tryin to fix now is simply overheating in stop and go traffic, and what is apparently referred to as "heat soak".

Oooh! I almost forgot to mention, I tried feeling the radiator hoses by squeezing them when my engine was overheating and the were squishy not hard with built up pressure like I expected. That's not normal right? Bottom hose is new, and both look ok.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot
I have found over the years that there are a lot of bad thermostats. I have also found that getting a "good" one is a hit or miss affair. I used to replace them every year just before it got cold because they stuck open and I had no heat for winter. I knew they were bad because the engine never got warm in the summer. I think I went through a dozen 'stant' brand units before I found one that actually works like its supposed to. It stays closed a little on the long side so the engine gets hotter but then you can see the gauge drop and know it opened and I have not had a problem with it so far.

Thermostats are cheap, keep a spare & replace whenever.
Good to know! I'm kind of weary of replacing my t-stat if I don't have to for sure cuz the last time I did, one of the bolts broke off inside the intake chamber and it went from being as easy a job as changing oil to a friggin nightmare. This is the first truck I've worked on myself so Im literally learning as I go. Thank God for YotaTech...cuz Chilton is a worthless A-hole
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 PM

FOLLOW UP: I know I know, it's been long since but I figure I hate it when people don't follow up with whatever the solution ended up being so this is for anyone who is searching with the same problem. skypilot was right. it was just a faulty t-stat. friggin pos caused me all that. popped a new one in which took all of 2 minutes (literally an over exaggeration) and presto. purring like a kitten again.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Actually it should have a little resistance when it's cold. And it should sound like a plane when it first starts. If it doesn't there is no resistance in it enough once it reaches op temp that the clutch doesn't engage.

That's the funny thing with these clutches if it's bone cold it's enough to actually engage the clutch for a very short period of time.
yep... u are correct sir! My bad! Note to self... put keyboard down, after picking up beer

Originally Posted by mapple83
FOLLOW UP: I know I know, it's been long since but I figure I hate it when people don't follow up with whatever the solution ended up being so this is for anyone who is searching with the same problem. skypilot was right. it was just a faulty t-stat. friggin pos caused me all that. popped a new one in which took all of 2 minutes (literally an over exaggeration) and presto. purring like a kitten again.
Good deal!! And thanks for posting up the solution... too many threads go unresolved...