Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Excuses, exuses....hehehe.

Just kidding.... No point in paddling up stream with the weather.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update...I took a vacation day off today so I could change the bad motor mount....what a pita that was!!.....it's not as easy as I thought there is no room to work in that area!....mt goat you have the right idea putting the motor mounts on before you set the engine in.

I also had a a surprise today wasn't expecting to change the passenger side cv drive shaft but it was leaking lube bad and throwing it up around the and all over.I sure didn't plan on changing that out today but I had no choice.The cv shaft is a pita to get out also just like the drivers side was last summer but not as much room there either.I think I spend more time on removing the cv from the axle than removing the motor mount.

I would like to know is there any tricks to getting the cv flange past and below the studs on the wheel bearing hub i guess it's called on the front axel?...I didn't think I was going to get around the studs but after a lot of wrestling with it I finally got it out.

I put the new cv drive shaft in and buttoned every thing up and went for a test drive and the 4runner does feel different with the new mount and rides smoother with the new cv in.

but believe it or not I still have a vibration in my auto shifter and it still is worse when accelerating and when the O.D. is in the off position.I know it's coming from some ware else but it is only felt through the shifter and I can here it.

Well I think I'm going to call it quits for now I have added all my receipts up on all the parts I have replaced chasing this vibration and they total....$1,976.82....not to mention that I paid $2,400.00 for the runner so I have way more money in it than it's worth?

I going to just take a break for a while and think about my next move...I have tried every thing I know to do to resolve this issue except replacing the motor or transmission and I can't afford that........with the economy being bad all all....maybe something will break or blow up and then I'll now what is going on...hope not... but if it ant broke don't fix it my dad would say...so I'll wait until then to move on...
*****Thanks for all the help friends.****...but I don't know where to go from here so I'm going to relax for a while like thook and do some other things I need to do....I'll be around....and I still have a copy of that Toyota Head Recall Information if someone would like it just P.M. me with your email address and I'll send it to you just give me a few days depending on how many request I have
Good Luck All.........I still would like to know the easy way to change the cv drive shafts....
Thanks
Dwayne

Last edited by buckz6319; 03-06-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by buckz6319

I would like to know is there any tricks to getting the cv flange past and below the studs on the wheel bearing hub i guess it's called on the front axel?...I didn't think I was going to get around the studs but after a lot of wrestling with it I finally got it out.
The trick is to knock out or press out the studs and replace them with bolts. Or instead of bolts you can reuse the studs by filing or grinding off the shoulder nubs.

Sorry to hear about the vib

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-07-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 AM

thanks mt goat for the information about the cv studs.I would never thought about knocking out the studs and replacing them with bolts...do they make something that will press them out when there still on the front axle hub?

now the vibration thing...i'm lost on that...doesn't seem like any of the shops around here know where it's coming from either....I do know that when I hauled the used A340H I purchased to get some parts from...the 4runner vibration was really bad because of the heavy load in the cargo area.I think maybe something in the transmission is going out because that's where I here it coming from and maybe it's not a vibrations maybe a bearing going bad in there it's hard to tell maybe a crank shaft main bearing or something
thanks
Dwayne
Old 03-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by buckz6319
...do they make something that will press them out when there still on the front axle hub?
I used a strong C-clamp on mine. I just did them one at a time from under the truck, I've never even taken off the CV yet. I did it to make a trail replacement easier. I carry a spare, but (knock on wood) have never needed it yet.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:51 PM

mt goat...good information... and I'll do that next time I have to change a cv axle...have a good weekend
Old 08-05-2009, 08:17 AM

Deleted moved to a new thread for quick response

Last edited by buckz6319; 08-06-2009 at 04:40 PM.