Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Dual T-case install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
What about the torque though in double low?
very true. The biggest difference between torque and horsepower is that torque is multipliable(which is what were all doing when we change gears) and horsepower is not.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This mod keeps getting more and more expensive.

On that note how do I measure for drive line changes? Can I just add the 6 1/2 inches to the front shaft and subtract that much from the rear?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
This mod keeps getting more and more expensive.
They all do.

You can save some pennies building a square front DS. I had one, worked okay but pretty ghetto. Very strong though.

Name:  Driveshaft01-1.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  45.3 KB

Originally Posted by Junkers88
On that note how do I measure for drive line changes? Can I just add the 6 1/2 inches to the front shaft and subtract that much from the rear?
You are on the right track, but honestly it would be best to have the dual assembly at least built if not actually installed before you start measuring for new driveshafts.

By the way, have we established whether you have a V6 or a 4CYL... because that will change everything...
Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how did you build that front shaft???? and would it be ok to use it in the rear if its that strong? just asking cause i have 3 trasfercases out back and plaing on using all three and need some strong stuff
Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by just a 22re
how did you build that front shaft???? and would it be ok to use it in the rear if its that strong? just asking cause i have 3 trasfercases out back and plaing on using all three and need some strong stuff
Sure it would work...as long as you dont go over about 15 mph.....

my main beef with square shafts (besides the god-awful racket and inability to balance) is the fact they when they hit a rock ...they dont slide over it like a round tube...they push the shaft over the rock or break it This put a butt load of stress on the t-case bearings and output shaft and seals creating leaks and/or other problems
Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ah ok then i guess i wont be doing anything like that then thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What abut it?

In double low, I never get above about 1000 to 1500 RPM, so I'd imagine that my torque even multiplied as it is, is not strong enough to rip out my mounts.

I have a gutless, torqueless motor. I'm not worried about any of my driveline mounts.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
What abut it?

In double low, I never get above about 1000 to 1500 RPM, so I'd imagine that my torque even multiplied as it is, is not strong enough to rip out my mounts.

I have a gutless, torqueless motor. I'm not worried about any of my driveline mounts.
4Crawler has ya' covered:
http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/MotorMount.shtml
and it's not the engine torque that's the problem, it's the torque of the driveline, multiplied by the low gear ratios.
think about it- 95 lbs torque, multiplied by a 4:1 ratio= 380 lbs. some of that torque is absorbed by the engine/trans mounts, the rest goes to your tires. if the tires bind, the torque has to be absorbed by the mounts. weak mounts = broke mounts.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-26-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
how did you build that front shaft????
Just search "square shaft" and you'll get a lot of info. It's basically two pieces of trailer hitch stock mated to Toyota ends.

Would it be ok to use it in the rear if its that strong? just asking cause i have 3 transfercases out back and plan on using all three and need some strong stuff
The square shaft is strong in regards to impacts. I suppose it would be stronger under torque load as well, but generally stock Toyota joints are used so a square shaft has similar weaknesses to a "stock" round shaft.

Sure it would work...as long as you dont go over about 15 miles per hour.....
That is a very true statement. I never could get mine to be just right. Your speed is limited and noise is high. I have heard that some have better luck however. It's the cost (under $50) for a burly front DS with over 12" of slip that attracts most to the idea.

My main beef with square shafts (besides the god-awful racket and inability to balance) is the fact they when they hit a rock ...they dont slide over it like a round tube...they push the shaft over the rock or break it This put a butt load of stress on the t-case bearings and output shaft and seals creating leaks and/or other problems
One could probably add some tube to round it off if they were so inclined. I personally view the square DS as a temporary cost effective solution to dual cases or after a SAS. Once you save up some more funds, a conventional well made shaft is really the only way to go.

Name:  DriveShaft01.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  70.7 KB
Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota-erik
I would be careful here. I have seen several trans/tcase housing split because everything wasnt allowed to flex at the same rate, ie...different material used for motor mounts and tcase mounts or solid motor mounts and factory style tcase mounts(or chained down motors). This phenomenon is exaggerated as the distance between the mounts is greater and the gear ratio is lowered. It is also worth mentioning that those flexy mounts help absorb driveline shock.
just my .02
Interesting, I've never heard of that happening. I was most worried about breaking the mounting bolts that go into the block or the block itself. I am using 2 transfer case mounts (one on each case) so that should help spread to forces and stiffen it up at that end.

On the motor end, the chains do have enough slack that the rubber still gets stretched some before the chain takes over.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvota

By the way, have we established whether you have a V6 or a 4CYL... because that will change everything...

4 cylinder 22re, 5 speed manual if that helps any.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On the drive shaft part I just had a driveline shop re-tube my existing shafts. It was about $60 to re-tube and rebalance each one here locally.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Any of you guys with duals ever break an engine mount? I've heard it can be a problem so I chained mine down.
I went this route, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154338 since I had the motor out anyways. Vibrates more than before.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:41 PM

U forgot to add in driveshaft work and a new crossmember/skidplate
Don't forget pinion rotation, depending on rear lift and over all angle of driveshaft.

I rotated mine before I tried it without, mines a DD and wanted to deal with the rear driveshaft once. Really wasn't as bigga PITA as I first thought it would be. Reenforce the aftermarket spring perches like Toyota does if you go that route

Dual cases was the best mod I've done yet. In hind site I would've been better off with dual stocks than 4.70 to begin with.

If your going to lift your truck do it before installing the duals, so you deal with the length/angle think once. Plan out you build, so to speak you'll save cash in the long run.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
4Crawler has ya' covered:
http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/MotorMount.shtml
and it's not the engine torque that's the problem, it's the torque of the driveline, multiplied by the low gear ratios.
think about it- 95 lbs torque, multiplied by a 4:1 ratio= 380 lbs. some of that torque is absorbed by the engine/trans mounts, the rest goes to your tires. if the tires bind, the torque has to be absorbed by the mounts. weak mounts = broke mounts.
There was never any disagreement on torque multiplication.

I understand very well how torque works, thanks.

The original question was "have any of you guys with duals ever broken an engine mount".

I answered no.

I also said I'm not worried about it.

I am still not.

I do think that it is a valid concern. I only answered in the context of my own truck and my own experience.

Last edited by AxleIke; 08-26-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM

I never broke one either, but had the motor out anyway and Murphy is not my friend.

My Sky crossmember uses 2 TC mounts so maybe the motor mount thing was overkill????

Sky crossmember with dual mounts is another story, every mod to solve a problem is the potential for another problem. Good times.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:12 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought I had broken a mount, but checked and they were OK. I think the beefy crossmember and two tranny mounts helps A LOT.

I do really need to chain down the motor mounts though ... I hear it REALLY sucks to break one.