86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

driveshaft play question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driveshaft play question

I have a 95 4runner with 4wd. I am getting a vibration at around 50 mph. I checked my rear driveshaft to see if the U joints are worn but I dont feel any play there. I cannot move the driveshaft to the front, rear or side to side. I am however getting some play in the driveshaft when I push the driveshaft up (mostly around the are where you lube the center of the driveshaft. How much play is supposed to be there? I am looking in the bgb but cant seem to find a section diagraming the driveshaft.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the same problem to the point that 50mph or over, my rear view mirror was a compleat blur. In checking a verity of things, I had no luck, and it just seemed to got worse. I took it to a local station to have the U joints checked after doing the same thing that you have done to check them. The shop had told me that the wheels must be off the ground to really see if it had play in it. Once the wheels were off of the ground, it did have play and had the frunt and rear changed. After doing so, the rig ran as smooth as silk. I also have a 95 runner. I do belive it is your U joints. I wish you luck.

Keith
Old 09-16-2006, 06:26 PM

That makes a lot of sense. And I dont mind changing those. But, I just cant make sense of the play around the center of the driveshaft. Does that indicate the driveshaft has problems also or is our driveshaft usually not the problem?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:28 PM

Mine also had play around the center, and my shop had told me this was the cause that made them go bad faster.

Keith
Old 09-16-2006, 06:31 PM

did you replace the driveshaft?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:38 PM

NO, and it did seem to be alot better after changing the U joints. It had alot less play in it. I do hope I'm undrestanding you in the play that you have. Can you explain it any different to me.

Keith
Old 09-16-2006, 06:41 PM

If you are laying on you back under the truck, pushing the driveshaft towards the body(floorpans) I get play. No play in any other direction
Old 09-16-2006, 06:49 PM

Yes, the shop showed me the same problem. They pushed up on it, and it did move up some. I really can't say how much, but I can tell you it didn't move after changing the U joints.

Let me ask you this, do you only feel vibrate at 50mph? I also felt it a slower speeds as well. If I took my foot off of the gass it go a little better. As soon as I put my foot back on the gass, I can feel the shakeing come right back. Is this the case with you?

Last edited by keithguts; 09-16-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:54 PM

The majority of my shaking occurs around 45-60 mph. Slowing down gets better. But now i get faint vibration around 35-45. It does sound like my situation is like yours
Old 09-16-2006, 06:58 PM

I really do think it is your U joints. Are you going to do this yourself, or have a tech do it for you? The place that did mine had one hell of a time getting them out. Just that you know. I also asked this question for the reason that a tech can in most cases be sure this is the problem.

By the way, any pics of your rig. I will post one of mine for you.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../06_12_0-3.jpg

Keith

Last edited by keithguts; 09-16-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Most likely I will be doing these myself. Most of the work I like doing myself unless it is a horrible pain in the butt. I guess I will just be wrestling with the driveshaft lol. Here is a link to all my rides. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2314934 The 4runner is the newest edition and most of my mods are beginning now. I like that rambar you have on the front of yours. Where did you get it from? Do you have the OME lift on yours? I have questions for days on improvements I want to make to the rig.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:58 AM

Yo, nice looking rig. Looks very clean. How long have you had it? It looks to me like the rear is sagging a bit as mine was. I put in new rear springs (STOCK) and it lifted it about 3 " or so. As far as the bumper, I have no idear where it came from as it came with the rig when I got it. My rig is in the shop as I speak for a bad Exhust Valve. Being I'm doing a new valve job. Im also having new HG. timing chain, Water pump, all new hoses, etc. I hope to get it back this week. It has been in the shop for a month thes monday. I really do miss her, and can,t wait to get it back. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. If I can be of any help, I will give it my best shot to help. O ya, I do not have a lift kit it is stock with 31" tires. I woud like to go to 33", but I think I would have to regear to do so, as well as a lift kit. Do you do any off road. What type of Mods do you plan on doing?

Keith

Last edited by keithguts; 09-17-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:53 PM

Yo, nice looking rig. Looks very clean. How long have you had it? It looks to me like the rear is sagging a bit as mine was. I put in new rear springs (STOCK) and it lifted it about 3 " or so. As far as the bumper, I have no idear where it came from as it came with the rig when I got it. My rig is in the shop as I speak for a bad Exhust Valve. Being I'm doing a new valve job. Im also having new HG. timing chain, Water pump, all new hoses, etc. I hope to get it back this week. It has been in the shop for a month thes monday. I really do miss her, and can,t wait to get it back. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. If I can be of any help, I will give it my best shot to help. O ya, I do not have a lift kit it is stock with 31" tires. I woud like to go to 33", but I think I would have to regear to do so, as well as a lift kit. Do you do any off road. What type of Mods do you plan on doing?

Thanx man. My current plans are first to take care of some probs I am having with it. First being the vibration then I have a small exhaust leak. After that, I have to replace my TPS. Hopefully after that things will stabilize and I can upgrade to the OME lift kit. I also want to replace some of the chrome on the bumper as well as put some new paint on the gal. And of course i have to replace my rear hatch because its bubbling rust. After that I will prob see how much life I can spring from the current motor. I have been looking into swap options but none seem to b worth the money and time spent doing it. Its not like I dislike the current motor bc it lasts for eons but a just a little more pep and id b in love. I am thinking 32 with some cool tires.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:15 PM

I'm telling you, I do belive that the vibration is the U joints. Repace them, and your vibration problems are over. Good luck with everything you plan on doing.

Keith
Old 09-17-2006, 04:52 PM

Thanx man