86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diff lock/gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diff lock/gears

hey im looking for both rear and IFS lockers for my 89 p/u im also wanting to lower the gears and looking for suggestions on what i should lower my gears to?

Right now i am running 31's but would like to get 33 or even 35' inch tires eventually...

any advice on what gear ratio i should get and where i can get them for a reasonable price?

thanks,

Lon

im also looking for a stronger pressure plate/friction disc because i keep burning clutches... granted lower gears will help but just wondering... i can find any stronger poundage that will fit my engine/tranny
Old 11-17-2007, 08:18 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lock the rear first before anything, I like ARB lockers but they are $$$ b/c they are air compressor driven. A detroit or such is cheaper but means your always locked.

You need a lift to fit those kinda tires, 3" or so. Lift first.

For 33's depending on engine 4.88 would be optimal, 5.29 for 35's.

If you keep burning out the clutch you need to learn how to properly use it or something is wrong with the whole setup..
Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, first - I dont want to sound like a jerk - but alot of these questions can be easly found out by searching. BUT here they are:

GEARS:

5sp

28" tires - 4.10 gears
31" tires - 4.56 gears
33" tires - 4.88 gears
35" tires - 5.29 gears
37"+ tires - 5.71 gears

AUTO

28" tires - 4.56 gears
31" tires - 4.88 gears
33" tires - 5.29 gears
35"+ tires - 5.71 gears

For where to buy them, online is usually the best choice. Im not familer with any particular websites but you can buy pre-setup third members from marlin crawler, trail-gear etc. If you have the cash to spend that is.

If you are going to re-gear, do not except to come out of it for under at least a grand. Its not a cheap thing, and this is the kind of thing you need to spend the extra cash, and get things set up right. The last thing you want is your r&p to explode on you.

As for the clutch, I would look into the marlin crawler lineup.
They offer stock non ceramic clutches with stepped up clamping force, I have the setup that features 1200ft-lbs of clamping force over the stockers approx 900ft-lb. It feels pretty much stock, no grabby issues like a ceramic clutch would give you. Highly recomended.

Lockers:

well, there are alot of directions to go here. It really depends how much green you're willing to drop on it. A full front and rear ARB system would run you upwards of about 1,000 dollers. They are pretty much the top of the line for full selectable lockers.
You can also (only for the rear for you) get a toyota electric locker. These are found in the 96+ tacomas and 4runners with the TRD off road package. These can usually be found for about 650 bucks, you will need to modify your rear axle housing to fit the locker though, this is somthing that usually turns people away from them. But if you can, the elocker is your best way to go, if you where ever to have a problem with the wiring, you can easily lock+ unlock the locker by hand. Unlike the ARB's if you get an air leak, you are hooped.

Now, geting down in price you can get an autolocker.
These can be had for around 250 bucks, can usually be setup by any confident mechanic and do work well. They do have some quirky on-road handling aspects that you will need to adjust your driving too, such as tight cornering, accelerating hard etc.
But 99% of the guys who get these, rave that the on-road quirks are quickly forgotten once off-road.

I myself am buying a lockrite auto locker, they are probibly the most popular of these kids of lockers.

I have only scratched the surface here, hopfally some other guys will chime in.

And remember, the search is your friend
Old 11-18-2007, 01:34 AM

Thank you much guys... found some lockers and should be ordered and installed within the next month...

be doin a lot more stuff to my truck over the winter
Old 11-18-2007, 05:12 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lon_Godhelm
hey im looking for both rear and IFS lockers for my 89 p/u im also wanting to lower the gears and looking for suggestions on what i should lower my gears to?

Right now i am running 31's but would like to get 33 or even 35' inch tires eventually...

any advice on what gear ratio i should get and where i can get them for a reasonable price?

thanks,

Lon

im also looking for a stronger pressure plate/friction disc because i keep burning clutches... granted lower gears will help but just wondering... i can find any stronger poundage that will fit my engine/tranny
Lockers, gears, complete 3rds assembled:
http://www.wabfab.org/products/diffe...ferentials.htm

Clutches:
http://www.wabfab.org/products/clutches/clutches.htm

Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lockers https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/locker-faq-43572/
You will have to pry my ARB's out of my cold dead hands. Expensive, but worth it.

gears - I agree with jay351's tables above, but would consider one step lower for the automatic if you drive on the highway alot (example: 5.71 for 33's).

Clutch - check out the Super Heavy Duty Marlin Crawler units
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/tra...lutch.htm#kits
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you look at Craigs list Seattle?
There is a Taco e-locker axle assy for $500 (4.10 gears though)
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM

Awsome... clutch is on order and diff locks within the month i think....

thanks again for the info