Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker FAQ

When is it time to invest in a locker?
Generally, when you find yourself getting stuck due to wheels spinning freely in the air while its opposite is on the ground not moving.

On what type of terrain will a locker help the most?
While a locker will help in any off-road condition, it will help most in conditions where the terrain is uneven causing a tire to lift into the air; and in conditions where the traction is uneven.

Lunchbox Lockers

What is a lunchbox locker?

A lunchbox locker is any of several brands of lockers that replace the spider and side gears in a differential.

Are these lockers selectable?

No. These lockers are fully automatic, meaning they require no user input to lock them. They are actually locked by default, meaning they are tied together. One side will automatically unlock, however, when needed.

What kind of quirks should I expect?

The locker makes itself know when making U-turns and 90 degree turns at intersections. In these cases, it helps to either coast with the clutch in or to drive with steady throttle through the turn. In more gentle turns and on the highway, the locker will be un-noticeable as it engages and disengages.

Can I install a lunchbox locker myself?

Yes. A home mechanic can install a lockrite with simple hand tools. One person can do it, but an extra pair of hands comes in handy.

How does one go about installing a lunchbox locker?

The locker will come with instructions, the best supplement I know of to these instructions is here.

Should I get a lunchbox locker or save up for an ARB or E-locker?

Well, if you want/need a locker but dont have a lot of money to spend, then yes, you should get a lunchbox. Because of its low buy-in cost, and its ease of install, lunchbox lockers have a lot of bang for the buck. If, however, you have the money to spend on an ARB, go for it. The majority of the people who install lockrites are happy with them.

Are these lockers weak?

Pretty much any peice of equipment has its limitations. Lunchbox lockers do fail on occasion. The most common breakage is a chipped/missing tooth. These usually go unnoticed because the locker continues to function as before. Rarely, the locker will jam in the locked position acting as a spool.

Last edited by Napoleon047; 10-25-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:18 PM

check out this thread as well:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...4&page=1&pp=20
Old 10-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

should make this into a general locker FAQ stickie. Wouldnt take much more to cover the other options. Maybe do it in a cost breakdown structure...

Should also be noted that some of these (maybe all?) do make clicking noises when it disengages ie. on slow turns.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, feel free to add to this thread, including info on other locker options like ARBs etc. We'll turn this into a general locker FAQ.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lunchbox lockers are activated by the pedal on the floorboard.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Lunchbox lockers are activated by the pedal on the floorboard.

Don't you mean they are always active? Putting the pedal to the floor just locks them so the wheels can't differenciate through a corner. Both wheels are always moving at the driveline speed or greater.
Half sentences like this aren't very helpfull in a FAQ thread.

EDIT: sunshine and puppies

Last edited by Waterboy; 10-26-2004 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:07 PM

Subject=lunchbox lockers
Verb=are activated
Predicate=by the pedal on the floorboard

When you cost with an auto locker, whether Detroit or "lunchbox" the wheels are not tied together. This is the clicking. If you gas it, they lock and it squeals.

Hard ass?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:18 PM

here is a partial list of locker manufactures.

----------------------

TracTech - maker of the Electrac, Detroit (No-Spin), E-Z, and Truetrac LDS

http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm#locking

----------------------

Eaton Traction - ELocker, Eaton Posi (LDS)

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod1.htm

----------------------

Powertrax - LOCK-RIGHT

http://www.powertrax.com/

----------------------

ARB - Air Locker

http://www.arbusa.com/air_locker_loc...ferentials.htm

----------------------

Auburn Gear - LDS, Spools, Mini-spools

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/

----------------------

Torq Masters - Aussie Locker

http://www.aussielocker.com/

----------------------

Last edited by crawler#976; 10-25-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

When you cost with an auto locker, whether Detroit or "lunchbox" the wheels are not tied together. This is the clicking. If you gas it, they lock and it squeals.
The clicking is one of the tires rotating faster then the driveline. They both ALWAYS move the same speed or faster then the drive line. When they lock it takes away ability to differenciate wheel speed and it squeals your tires.

Originally Posted by http://www.torqmasters.com/howitworks.html
Simple explanation of the "Aussie Locker's" operation

The "Aussie Locker" mechanism allows a wheel to turn faster than the speed of the differential that is driving it (differentiation), but never allows a wheel to turn slower than the speed the differential and engine is turning it (traction). Therefore, a wheel cannot ever stop turning if the engine is driving it, but in a corner it can be forced to actually turn faster. Unlike a standard differential, the engine can never drive one wheel faster than the other.

100% Positive Locking

The "Aussie Locker" is positive locking, meaning there is no slippage when locked. There is a mechanically solid engagement of all parts. In contrast a limited slip differential is not positive locking and does allow slippage and one wheel "spin up" i.e. the spinning of one wheel at twice the differential speed while the other wheel having traction remains motionless. With the "Aussie Locker" you get 100% of drive and traction to both wheels.
Again half sentences aren't helpful.

EDIT: sunshine and puppies

Last edited by Waterboy; 10-26-2004 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:10 AM

I installed an Aussie locker the other day. The Aussie came with pretty decent directions, and it was a piece of cake to put together. The springs that go on the pins are a little tricky to put in, but it can be done. When you're taking the axle shafts out, don't try to take shortcuts like I did. Take the tires off and disconnect the brake lines. The shafts will come out fine with the tires on, but the tires make them really hard to put back in. They weight the shafts down, and make them pretty hard to line up. Also, lugnuts are a real pain to loosen when the wheel is off the ground . I'd get someone to help put the third member in. I did it myself, and I was sore as hell waking up the next morning. Don't rush yourself. If it gets dark and frustrating, go inside; it will still be there in the morning. After you get everything installed, as long as nothing is missing, chances are you probably did everything right. The locker will do some weird stuff, and it will make you paranoid. Now I just have to find some time to go wheel it!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Does anyone know or have a list of ALL the companies that make aftermarket lockers for the 3rd gen 4runner? Detroit? Eton elocker? Aussie yet?
The onlyone know know for sure is the ARB.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:07 AM

3rd Gen and apparently even 4th Gen all have the same 8" V-6 Toy diff that all Toy trucks have had in the rear since the late 80's inception of the 3.0

This means you can get ARB, Detroit, EZ-Locker, Lock Wrong, Auburn LSD, True-Trac and No-Slip, that is about it off the top of my head.

I still hold the assertion that lunchbox lockers are not activated, as in locked, until the gas pedal is pressed. They allow differentiation when coasting. If they did not, then they would be like a spool.

The best way to explain the differences IMHO is the auto versus manual locker. An ARB is manual because the owner has to push a button at which point it is locked. Then, when on the gas, both tires turn at the same speed. An auto locker automatically locks the tires together when the driver is on the gas without secondary switches. You can pick that apart and tell me I am a lying fool, but I am explaining convention and reality.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

3rd Gen and apparently even 4th Gen all have the same 8" V-6 Toy diff that all Toy trucks have had in the rear since the late 80's inception of the 3.0

This means you can get ARB, Detroit, EZ-Locker, Lock Wrong, Auburn LSD, True-Trac and No-Slip, that is about it off the top of my head.

I still hold the assertion that lunchbox lockers are not activated, as in locked, until the gas pedal is pressed. They allow differentiation when coasting. If they did not, then they would be like a spool.

The best way to explain the differences IMHO is the auto versus manual locker. An ARB is manual because the owner has to push a button at which point it is locked. Then, when on the gas, both tires turn at the same speed. An auto locker automatically locks the tires together when the driver is on the gas without secondary switches. You can pick that apart and tell me I am a lying fool, but I am explaining convention and reality.
If they all have the same rears then why can't people with 3rd gen 4runners use the elockers out of Tacomas?
I am not callenging you..just trying to learn.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:44 PM

The e-locker has a motor that sticks out beyond the normal bolt pattern of the third and requires housing modifications to use for rigs that can with 8" V-6 rears. The e-locker from a 4-Runner or Taco can be put in any other 8" housing with some minor modification. It cannot be put in a Taco that came with an open diff or a Tundra.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:48 PM

with the engine off and the transmission in gear and both wheels off the ground, you cannot turn one of them. period. the differential is locked.

lunchbox lockers are designed so that neither side can turn slower than the ring gear, but one side can turn faster than it. with a standard open differential, when turning, the outside tire gets more power than the inside tire. with a lunchbox locker, the outside tire is disconnected and gets no power and the inside tire is the only one driving the vehicle through the turn.

if you mash the gas pedal during such a turn, the differential and the inside wheel catch up the the outside wheel and speed, and thus the differential will re-lock.

if you apply steady throttle through a turn, this will not happen, the outside tire will disconnect through the turn.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon047
with the engine off and the transmission in gear and both wheels off the ground, you cannot turn one of them. period. the differential is locked.

lunchbox lockers are designed so that neither side can turn slower than the ring gear, but one side can turn faster than it. with a standard open differential, when turning, the outside tire gets more power than the inside tire. with a lunchbox locker, the outside tire is disconnected and gets no power and the inside tire is the only one driving the vehicle through the turn.

if you mash the gas pedal during such a turn, the differential and the inside wheel catch up the the outside wheel and speed, and thus the differential will re-lock.

if you apply steady throttle through a turn, this will not happen, the outside tire will disconnect through the turn.
Thank you, I've tried to get that accross in my first two posts.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:17 PM

They are locked until enough force is generated to allow them to unlock.

It's easy to check-

Set an axle on jack stands, tranny in neutral. Grab a tire, spin it slowly- both tires will turn the same direction.

Now, spin the tires slowly, grab a tire and give it a violent yank backwards- in most cases that will apply enough force to unlock the halves of the shell.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:41 PM

Aussie Lockers/Where to Buy?

I remember hearing somewhere that the Aussie Locker's were not being manufactured in enough numbers to keep up with demand. I also heard that the company who built the springs inside that locker went out of business. Do you know if they have straightened out these issues, and if so are they still 200 bucks? Is there a company to order through other than Australia? I've searched but haven't come up with any answers.....
Old 11-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

A friend just bought one and had it in about week. They are $266 shipped now. They have an office in New York so that's where you order from.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:56 PM

Am I reading this correctly? Wouldn't you need Manual hubs to run anything but the ARB?

Chris

Quick Reply: Locker FAQ