Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cost efficient way to regear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^What's cheaper than that, lincoln lock it!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ahhh just melt some lead in the spider gears....
Actually I have heard of someone doing it. lol

Last edited by 934rnr; 09-21-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Cheapest way is do it right the first time and add lockers while you are at it.

Have to agree. Doing it once is cheaper.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gear installs are one of those things where you have to pay to play.

I have done mine myself. TC and I have done his rear together. It was quite involved, took a LOT of time, and requires specialty tools, so factor them into your cost. After 45k miles on my rear diff (front has a lot less) I have great wear, and no issues.

I cannot stress enough how this is NOT trivial. If you have time, patience and a good mechanical sense, you can do it yourself. Otherwise, a quality shop is where you need to go.

The key word is QUALITY. They may cost more, but its worth it.

If you pay the cheapest place, and they set them up wrong, you will be paying for new gears, and likely a new diff, not to mention axles, seals, and bearings. A few hundred extra in good parts, and good labor is worth it.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Gear installs are one of those things where you have to pay to play.

I have done mine myself. TC and I have done his rear together. It was quite involved, took a LOT of time, and requires specialty tools, so factor them into your cost. After 45k miles on my rear diff (front has a lot less) I have great wear, and no issues.

I cannot stress enough how this is NOT trivial. If you have time, patience and a good mechanical sense, you can do it yourself. Otherwise, a quality shop is where you need to go.

The key word is QUALITY. They may cost more, but its worth it.

If you pay the cheapest place, and they set them up wrong, you will be paying for new gears, and likely a new diff, not to mention axles, seals, and bearings. A few hundred extra in good parts, and good labor is worth it.
x2.. i just set up my first 3rd, with yukon 5.29's .
it was a pain in the arse. i must have pulled it apart like 10 times, finally i got a good pattern.
im hoping my second one will go together a lil faster/easier.

go here http://www.gearinstalls.com/ if you want an idea of what it consists of. zuk is the man!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Yes, they will bolt up but there might be a few things you need to do:

1. The v6's used a different pinion flange pattern, you can drill new holes to fit your 4cyl driveshaft if you want. Or you can get tripple drilled flanges from marlin crawler and alike..

2. The new rear diff will probibly have a rear ABS hookup, if yours does not you can just snip the pigtail comming out of the third. Or remove and replace with a brass plug (the abs sensors are worth some money)

3. The front diff will have ADD. So you will need to disable the vaccum operated actuator to stay locked.. Not hard.

Other then that, its a 100% direct bolt in..
sweet! sounds pretty straight forward. all i need to do now is find a toyota yard.

oh and about step number 3... how exactly would i go about doing that?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xXbrutalXcoreXx
oh and about step number 3... how exactly would i go about doing that?
Rather simple. You run a vacuum line to one side of the actuator, and it pulls in the ADD sleeve at all times. this is how my truck is done.

the actuator has two vacuum hookups, one for disconnecting the sleeve, and one for connecting it. you have a 50/50 chance that one or the other will work. simply apply the vacuum line to one side, and test your 4wd, you'll know whether or not its locked in. if it's not, switch it to the other side, and it'll lock right in.

or you could simply weld the ADD sleeve shut, as many have successfully done.

or, lastly, you have the option of finding a non-ADD differential (the one in your truck if you aren't going to sell it) and taking its solid axle shaft and housing off and bolting it on to your carrier. personally, that is what I plan to do, as I don't like the fact that I have a vulnerable rubber hose determining whether or not I'm going to use my 4wd, or the fact that the weld could break.

good luck and happy hunting!

Jay, a locker-type device is not affected by Toyota's 4.88 gear design? I am looking at a 4runner with 4.88's and I'd wanna add a locker of some sort, put in a manual transmission, and run 33's.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
or, lastly, you have the option of finding a non-ADD differential (the one in your truck if you aren't going to sell it) and taking its solid axle shaft and housing off and bolting it on to your carrier. personally, that is what I plan to do, as I don't like the fact that I have a vulnerable rubber hose determining whether or not I'm going to use my 4wd, or the fact that the weld could break.
x2. That's the best course of action. Too bad those aisin locking hubs are so expensive. But like they say, nothing done right is ever easy. Or cheap!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
Rather simple. You run a vacuum line to one side of the actuator, and it pulls in the ADD sleeve at all times. this is how my truck is done.

the actuator has two vacuum hookups, one for disconnecting the sleeve, and one for connecting it. you have a 50/50 chance that one or the other will work. simply apply the vacuum line to one side, and test your 4wd, you'll know whether or not its locked in. if it's not, switch it to the other side, and it'll lock right in.

or you could simply weld the ADD sleeve shut, as many have successfully done.

good luck and happy hunting!

Jay, a locker-type device is not affected by Toyota's 4.88 gear design? I am looking at a 4runner with 4.88's and I'd wanna add a locker of some sort, put in a manual transmission, and run 33's.

Not at all I put a lockright in the rear of my truck ( 93 4runner gears)
Old 09-22-2008, 05:31 PM

so when i go out hunting for the 3rd member and the front diff. am i looking for just a junk yard? or do i need like a toyota pick and pull yard? or what kind of place should i keep an eye out for?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xXbrutalXcoreXx
so when i go out hunting for the 3rd member and the front diff. am i looking for just a junk yard? or do i need like a toyota pick and pull yard? or what kind of place should i keep an eye out for?
any yard will work, but a yard that specializes in Toyota is probably the best way to go, if you know of any.

whatever yard you choose, you will need to find a 92+ Toyota 4Runner/Pickup with a V6 engine and an automatic transmission to go with the 4.88's.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember, it needs to have the big tire package to have the 4.88's.

If you can find a yota in a normal junkyard you can usually get the parts for much cheaper. Once you start going to yota specific yards, they tend to want alot more... I guess they know what they have