Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cone washers on wheel hubs rusted solid

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Freightliner uses them in their axles, hence the reason I mentioned the pliers. I drove a 40ton wrecker and pulled hundreds of those washers off. As he said, a bigger hammer and add a block of maple or oak.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DixieThunder
Welp.... I can't make any promises because I do not know yet if I have Monday off like I usually do but I possibly could come up Monday if you need an extra hand. I know you said that you tried the brass drift already but that's how I've gotten mine off. I've done mine about 3 times now. The trick for me was using a decent sized hammer. Haha hence why I now have a 3 pound sledge in my tool bag. If I were to help you out on Monday, schedule permitting, That's how I'd attack it. Before you laugh me off know that my truck was an East Coast truck I drove out here last July. It was not easy by any means to get more than a few of them out! Anyways just let me know if you would like the help and I'll let you know if I can make it.

Hey, thanks for the offer. I work till about 4:30 on monday, the problem is that I don't really have a good place to work on it. I've been working around my buddies schedule to use his garage since I live in an apartment. I tried the brass drift method but with a 23 oz framing hammer. I will deffintely try the 3 lb sledge route. I will give it a few more trys for sure.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 PM

Alright man, yeah I didn't get anywhere when using a smaller hammer like that. So I got a decent sized drift and the sledge made them pop. Now it did take a while on some of them and I do mean a while! But with stopping every so often and spraying down with pb blaster they eventually popped free. I heavily recommend what others have on here. Which is to leave the nut on there. You back it to be flush with the stud which will help keep any of them from flying off but it also gives you a larger surface area to hit. I would look into getting a stud kit and replacing everything while you have it off if you can. There's kits available from places other than the stealership, and cheaper. They come with the studs, cone washers, nuts, and washers. I know that WabFab has them that I plan on ordering next time I have to pull everything.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by RickyZ
I just had mine off Saturday when I changed my cv axles and I must have gotten lucky. I just hit em on the side with a hammer and chisel and they loosened up fairly easy. Hearing the horror stories has me thinking about popping em off again and rubbing some anti sieze on tho...
It works pretty good for me. The first time I took them off the 88 some of them gave me a little trouble....then I coated them in Never Seize before reassembly. Also put never seize on the cones for the hubs on the 94 too.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
That's why I live in Alabamee. I don't have to waste money on shoes, indoor plumbing or sleeves.

:wabbit2:
How do you ride a snowmobile with out boots or sleeves?

Originally Posted by DixieThunder
Alright man, yeah I didn't get anywhere when using a smaller hammer like that. So I got a decent sized drift and the sledge made them pop. Now it did take a while on some of them and I do mean a while! But with stopping every so often and spraying down with pb blaster they eventually popped free. I heavily recommend what others have on here. Which is to leave the nut on there. You back it to be flush with the stud which will help keep any of them from flying off but it also gives you a larger surface area to hit. I would look into getting a stud kit and replacing everything while you have it off if you can. There's kits available from places other than the stealership, and cheaper. They come with the studs, cone washers, nuts, and washers. I know that WabFab has them that I plan on ordering next time I have to pull everything.
x2 That's good advice...done the same thing with a brass drift. And hose em down with PB Blaster or Kroil, etc...
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 PM

Update?!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 PM

hit the side of the hub with a hammer and the washers will shoot out no problem,
Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 PM

Only if you want to cause undue bending on the side of the hub.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 AM

I broke one of the studs the cone washers go one, can these be removed and replaced? I know that I can use an EZ-out, but not sure if this is replaceable or would i have to repalce the entire hub?

thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 10:57 AM

get a brass drift...it will be the best investment of your life. I took the hubs off a 1986 pickup with over 300k in the salt belt that had been sitting for 10 years. I fought with a chisle and tabing the hub body with a rubber hammer but only got one out of 12 out. Got a brass drift and hit the stud and a get all of the 11 rest out in less than 3 minutes.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 AM

well, i called toyota, these studs can be replaced, and they are only like 1$ for those that are interested
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 AM

Get a stud remover tool and pull the stud out. Usually damageds the threads to the stud. But these parts can be sourced new. So when all else fails i dont waist any more time