86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car locks when i turn the key...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car locks when i turn the key...

Well, it happend occasionally in the beginning, now it happens every time i start the car. Might it be something with the alarm system? Its aftermarket (carguard 3000 something). It has been indicating a problem (the diod is blinking) and it is connected to both ignition and central-doorlocking. If it is the alarmsystem, is there some way to test it?

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:46 AM

In my experience alarms tied in to other systems always cause problems.

That would be my guess. I've never gotten into the central locking system much - it is tied into the key in that it WON'T lock 'em all with the key in the ignition. Not sure anything would actively lock them, however.

To rule the alarm in/out just disconnect the wires that hook up to the central locking....
Old 12-29-2007, 01:49 AM

Thanks for your reply

Where might i find those wires?
In each door, or is there a "central place" where the central door locking hooks up?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:56 AM

automatic door locking?

My 94 runner has that--I thought it was stock. All 4 doors lock the minute the key is turned, unlock when engine switched off or driver's door is opened. Are you saying this is an aftermarket alarm system?
Thanks!
Jim
Old 12-29-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by morrison
My 94 runner has that--I thought it was stock. All 4 doors lock the minute the key is turned, unlock when engine switched off or driver's door is opened. Are you saying this is an aftermarket alarm system?
Thanks!
Jim
Same here on my 98 Limited. I thought all alarm systems do this. My wife's '01 Jetta does it and my '02 Impreza WRX does it too.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:38 AM

I have heard that it might be a "function" that the doors lock when the car is started but it hasent been like this before + my doors dosent unlock when i turn the engine off...
yes it is aftermarket

Any thoughts?
Old 12-29-2007, 06:45 AM

Sorry, I have no idea what the problem would be, but if it is a "function" issue maybe this site would help. http://www.usersmanualguide.com/
I found a manual for a fish finder that I aquired with a boat a year ago and they have that manual on here.
Good luck.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 AM

On my aftermarket keyless entry, Model Valet 716T, door locking when you turn on the ignition can be turn on or off.
But I need the manual that tells me what buttons to push and how many times.
Without the manual, forget about it.

You'll need the manual to change it.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks for all replies!

I looked in the manual but it says nothing about this "function"...
Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well in the last shop I worked in we removed 3 Toyota alarm systems over the course of the year I worked there because of stuff like that. One of them did it last resort because the stealership couldn't even find the glitch in the system.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:38 AM

Oh, well, I suppose i will have to live with it then...
Old 12-31-2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by morrison
Thanks!
Jim
Huh - well maybe on later rigs that's something that was added. My '92 sure doesn't do that though. It'd drive me up the wall (one of many reasons I drive old vehicles!).

Originally Posted by 4Run_95
Thanks for your reply

Where might i find those wires?
In each door, or is there a "central place" where the central door locking hooks up?
Well, it's been a long time since I messed with an alarm system but the last one I did had a bar of screw-down terminals on the alarm "brain". Each thing it hooked up to - sensors, siren, etc. - simply screwed down to one of the posts. If you had a wonkey sensor you could just pull it there and disable it.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:35 AM

Thats sound hopeful

Is the alarm "brain" located somewhere in the engien compartment?
There is a black box on the left side of the engien, near the MAF. Might it be it?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 AM

my 94 pu does the same isht! it's an aftermarket frod alarm system. it locks wehn i turn key past accessory. only wak thing is it dont unlock when returned to off. locked out of a started truck a few times.
i actually thought most cars nowadays and since mid 90's locked either after ignition or after 20mph. i think many mfgs went ot the whole 15-20mph thing to avoid my boneheadedass from bein locked out a started vehicle!!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Yeah, on mine it won't let me lock myself out of the started truck. If I try the button with the door open and the key in the ignition it pops the locks right back up. Handy feature there......

Originally Posted by 4Run_95
Thats sound hopeful

Is the alarm "brain" located somewhere in the engien compartment?
There is a black box on the left side of the engien, near the MAF. Might it be it?
Possibly.....Somebody coulda put it most anywhere. I'd go look at mine and see if it has a box like that but we have a -20degF wind chill so that ain't happenin'!

Last edited by GV27; 01-01-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:45 AM

yea, my truck started out w/out pwr dr locks, so they're stuck to a servo or motor er smthn and kinda hard to pull up...thinkn bout a true pwr door lock upgrade, saw one somewhere for $157 i think....
but i had several extra keys made jic i boneheadit again....
oh and to make things rediclous....the keys i had duped...were duped off a dupe so only 2 of the seven i had made even work..... :
Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 AM

Well, it's been a long time since I messed with an alarm system but the last one I did had a bar of screw-down terminals on the alarm "brain". Each thing it hooked up to - sensors, siren, etc. - simply screwed down to one of the posts. If you had a wonkey sensor you could just pull it there and disable it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I've been installing aftermarket alarms for 7 years now & I've never seen one like that. Most aftermarket alarms have a valet button for programing, though who knows where either that or the brain might be hiding. You would need the install manual for the alarm to do programing, cause every manufacturer does it differently.

As far as doors locking & unlocking w/ the ignition, yeah, that's pretty much a standard feature on aftermarket alarms. You can always take it buy a shop that installs alarms and they maybe able to turn it off for ya, though they would probably charge for it. If you are adventurous you could always take apart your underdash follow the wires off the ignition harness to find the brain and disconnect it, though the thing would be useless at that point.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 AM

I would guess I'm a couple of years older than you! When I say "long time" I mean a lot more than 7 years. Heck - his truck is nearly twice that old! But yeah, even back then they were programmable. It would be all well and good to just reprogram it with the button but it sounds like his is malfunctioning. Someplace in the wiring the thing hooks up to the central locking. He just needs to disconnect that wire. How do the units you've worked on hook up? A wiring harness like a stereo head unit? Well, then he just needs to figure out which wire coming out of that is the central locking wire and disconnect it.

I like your last suggestion the best, personally. Just yank the freakin' thing out. That's what I'd do. I hate the freakin' things!

edit: or perhaps it's not malfunctioning. Maybe it was malfunctioning originally when it only locked the locks occasionally and now it's working right.......

Last edited by GV27; 01-02-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:32 PM

Yeah, I'm actually older than you might think, I got started in the Mobile Install business later than most. As the newer systems go, they actually use plug-in harnesses that you then splice into factory wires. There are some companies that have t-harnesses but I've not used any of those. Usually you don't goto the central locking unit, usually you can tap into wires in a specific area, like the harness from the drivers door, which can control all doors.

The one problem w/ yanking the whole thing is if it has a starter kill feature, you have to jump that or the truck will not start. Yeah, they can be annoying but to each his own. And yes, the fact it works all the time now is more the alarm working properly than malfunctioning.