Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Building a bumper update

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Building a bumper update

Well I have been building a bumper from a cardboard mock up that I did to give me a working model.

I think that I may have gone a bit overboard building this thing. First I am using 1/4 plate steel and cutting it is a pain in the ass. I am lucky enough to have a ESAB Plasma cutter to make the big cuts but still need the cutting wheel to get everything right.

I also have to say that I am doing this after work at 11 pm till about 5 am every morning so it's been going kind of slow but going none the less.

Still have to add the end cap's I have them cut out but have to figure out how to bend 1/4 steel to make them but I will figure it out somehow

OK enough of the rambling on here's a few picture's of where I am at as of 4 am today will get better pic's in the sun my flash on my camera has gone tits up so this is the best I can do for now.

Oh ya if you see something you think would work on it that I have not got on here let me know it's not to late to add it yet. I will also be having it LINE X'ED OR RINO LINED when it's done.

FROM THIS TO

TO THIS

A COUPLE MORE UPDATED PICS

HERES A LOOK AT THE SHELF MADE TO HOUSE THE CONTROL BOX

HERES A BIT OF A CLOSER SHOT OF THE CONTROL BOX SHELF

THE HOLE TO THE RIGHT IS FOR THE REMOTE PLUG FROM THE CONTROL BOX

Last edited by olharleyman; 11-10-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I like it, using the cardboard mock up is a great idea. I like the integrated rear lights. Are you setting it up for a rear winch? just curious if that is what the center tray is for...
Are you going to powder coat or Rattle can?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I will also be having it LINE X'ED OR RINO LINED when it's done.
this is a front bumper, right? looks very good and very heavy duty. you putting d-rings or something to pull with on it? how much do you think it weighs without a winch?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you using 1/4" for the whole thing? I was just saying to use 1/4" for the winch plate part. ARB and TJM are about 1/8" IIRC
Old 11-10-2007, 06:56 AM

hope your not cutting on top of the racing fuel
are you going to replace the front springs/t-bars?
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm plasma cutter
Old 11-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I like it, using the cardboard mock up is a great idea. I like the integrated rear lights. Are you setting it up for a rear winch? just curious if that is what the center tray is for...
Are you going to powder coat or Rattle can?
It's a front not rear but yes the center is for the winch I have a 8000lb Smittybuilt I got for $360 delivered from 4wheel parts with a life time no questions asked warrenty that will be going in there.
As for paint I plan on going with Line X my buddies friend does LINE X and says for about $70-$100 bucks he can do it for me.

Originally Posted by idayota
this is a front bumper, right? looks very good and very heavy duty. you putting d-rings or something to pull with on it? how much do you think it weighs without a winch?
Yes you are correct it is a front bumper, As for D-Rings I have not yet found any to weld on but did get a set of HEAVY DUTY recovery hooks that mount in the stock location from SDORI.(San Deigo Off Road Innovations)
These Biaches are very heavy duty and just bolt right in place of the stock wimpy hooks on the frame but I have not given up on finding a set of D-Rings to weld on as well.

The weight I guess is about 130-150 without the 80 lb winch its pure 1/4 plate steel and I built a little shelf on the inside to mount the controll box and if you look you can see a little hole drilled next to the right side blinker hole that is where the remote control will plug into.

I will update some better pics today sometime after I get back from the shop.

Last edited by olharleyman; 11-10-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lonestar
hope your not cutting on top of the racing fuel
are you going to replace the front springs/t-bars?
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm plasma cutter
Ya cutting on the racing fuel to test its flash point
I will be adding a set of 1 1/2 bj spacers from SDORI to help out with the weight and adding a super charged 3.4 set up with U.R.D. piggyback and pully set up for less weight. Well ok power and braggin rights
Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 AM

Make your own d-rings, thats what i did. I used 1/2 rod and heated it to bend them into the shape i wanted. Did a good bevel at the seam and layed a couple beads over each other so i would be strong enough. I then used 3/8 plate for the plate that holds the ring. Again heated them and bent the plate to fit over the ring and then welded each side of the plate.

The ones on my bumper:
http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/p...cadc00c0a5.jpg

http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/p...a162ee630a.jpg

I did the same thing on my bronco 2 bumper. Used them to yank it sideways out of a hole i was buried in really bad with my dad's 3/4 ton dodge diesel. The rings showed no signs of breaking and we were yanking, not just pulling.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:11 AM

Excellent job on the bumper by the way. Looking good
Old 11-10-2007, 08:45 AM

i like those d-rings snipes...any trouble pulling with them yet? they look plenty stout.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:18 AM

I haven't gotten the yota' stuck yet with this bumper (must not be giving it my all..) but i have pulled other people and i think the bumper would rip off before they do. These ones are 3" wide by 5" long i believe.
The ones on my old B2 were 4x6 on the inside and i had 2x4 ones on the ends. They never showed any signs of failure on the b2 and i got that truck buried all the time and had to get it YANKED out.
They are pretty cheap and easy to make the only hard part is getting them symmetrical. Need a torch to heat, vise to hold and i used a crescent wrench to hold and bend the plate and rod. I usually cut the cover plates after bending so they were symmetrical.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Are you using 1/4" for the whole thing? I was just saying to use 1/4" for the winch plate part. ARB and TJM are about 1/8" IIRC
Well that was the idea but the only way I could get the 1/4 I wanted was to buy a 4x8 sheet and well it will out last a tjm or arb now and don't have to worry about denting I guess huh?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:23 PM

are you planning on hardwiring the winch to a switch on the dash as well? i wonder why more guys don't do that...i mean how often do you actually winch without someone in the driver's seat?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by idayota
are you planning on hardwiring the winch to a switch on the dash as well? i wonder why more guys don't do that...i mean how often do you actually winch without someone in the driver's seat?
Actuilly yes I am waiting on a dual battery / winch roof , bumper , back up lights lighted panel built for me by 12 volt guy so I will have it installed soon as I can.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Well today I made some more progress with my bumper but forgot my camera.
Today I did the end caps the bending was a pain in the even though I had a torch to heat the 1/4".

I will be getting some pic's tomorrow and post them , it's looking just like the cardboard mock up I built with the exception of the changes I made along the way with some of the suggestions I received here.

As for putting the lights in the bumper between the blinker and winch it would be a great idea but I plan on using my existing Prerunner bar with the lights on it so I did not cut them in the bumper.

I will weld it on the same way it was/is mounted to my stock bumper using the same mounting points from the factory.

Once I have the finishing touches of adding and grinding the metal this week I will be setting it up on the truck and finishing the mounting points this weekend.

I plan on using a design from JAMES DEAN CREATIONS and putting a front tow hitch on it as well it will act as a mounting point for the 1 1/2" pipes that I will bend from there to the bottom of the winch box.

I will also be using a 1 1/2" pipe to the frame sides as well for mounting points just behind the front mounting point plate back up to the inside of the end caps of the bumper.

I know it's hard to picture but as I get it to that point this weekend I will take pictures and post for you guy's.

OK well that's the updates for now I will get the newest pictures up A.S.A.P. for you guys tomorrow.

OH YA JUST FOR THE RECORD HUGE THANKS TO PETIE P. FOR PUTTING UP WITH MY LET ME DO THE DESIGN AND CUTTING YOU JUST DO THE

Last edited by olharleyman; 11-12-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

OK Boy's and Girl's here's some updated pics of my bumper some may not be great my camera flash stopped working so the light is not the best but here ya go anyway.

HERE'S THE ALMOST FINISHED BUMPER LOOKS ALMOST PERFECT TO THE CARDBOARD MOCK UP ONLY 1/4 STEEL NOW

TFFT--------TOYOTA FOREVER FOREVER TOYOTA--------

THIS IS ONE THE BENDS I MADE TO DO THE END CAPS

FOR SOME REASON THE STEEL ON THIS ENDCAP WAPED FROM THE HEAT OF BENDING HOPE MUD WILL WORK TO EVEN IT OUT AND LINE X WILL STICK TO MUD

THE PIC DOES NOT DO JUSTIC TO HOW WELL THESE BENDS TURNED OUT

LOOK'S LIKE I NEED TO ADD A LITTLE MEAT THE EVEN OUT THE LEVELNESS HERE

Last edited by olharleyman; 11-13-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:33 PM

comin out good
Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow...that's one heavy bumper. Looks good so far.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job man can't wait to see this thing mounted

Quick Reply: Building a bumper update