Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brakes on my 88 Toy

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes on my 88 Toy

The master cylinder went out a bit ago on my 88 Toy 4x4. I've been waiting on a paycheck to fix it, so I've been adding fluid and driving it around pumping the brakes. Recently, the brakes stopped working completely, the truck would not stop. I think that I ran the reservoir a bit too dry and let an air bubble in my line.

My question is, if I purchased one of those brake bleeder kits, and bled the lines all the way around including prop valve, would it restore my brakes to the way they were (still 'out', but the truck is still able to stop after pumping the brakes)? Like I said, I'm waiting till Friday on a paycheck and I need to drive my truck for the time being just to get to work.

Also, can someone give a really basic tutorial on brake bleeding?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<shakes head in disgust>

I'll save the lecture... In the mean time I hope no one answers your question or helps you get back on the road.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:00 AM

i had a similar issue....if the brake fluid leaked out the back of the master into the brake booster that could be another issue for you...that is what happened to me in my 91 truck I had.....
Old 10-17-2006, 10:02 AM

If the master cylinder is indeed bad I would not even be driving the truck. The brakes are the most important system on any vehicle.

Rather then spending on a new m/c you might consider rebuilding the one you have now. Any autoparts haus can get you a rebuild kit.

Bleeding? Make sure you start from the furthest wheel cylinder (caliper) away from the m/c. And use the search....It's been discussed at length here.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:28 AM

Brake Bleeding:

-purchase 2 ft section of heavy duty garden hose.

-hold hose above your head

-with great force, swing it down into your private areas, possible with a flick of the wrist to create "whipping action", due to the fact that you haven't killed yourself or anyone else yet, we can assume you are lucky, therefore, apply hose technique a second time, just in case

-once you have recovered from this exercise, with any luck you will not be able to reproduce

-now it is time to go to work

-go to AUTOZONE/ADVANCE AUTO OR SIMILAR AND BUY A NEW MASTER CYLINDER FOR APPROXIMATELY $25! For the price of a brake bleeder you can buy a new master cylinder, they are really cheap, not to mention it is just stupid to drive around with one that doesn't work.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:47 AM

on sorta an off topic: Brake Mster Cylinders are cheap down in your parts?! I phoned up NAPA the other day, and a new master brake cylinder is like $129+core...gotta love junkyards
Old 10-17-2006, 11:56 AM

napa also carrys a re build kit for around 45 bucks
Old 10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeKaduce
The master cylinder went out a bit ago on my 88 Toy 4x4. I've been waiting on a paycheck to fix it, so I've been adding fluid and driving it around pumping the brakes. Recently, the brakes stopped working completely, the truck would not stop. I think that I ran the reservoir a bit too dry and let an air bubble in my line.

My question is, if I purchased one of those brake bleeder kits, and bled the lines all the way around including prop valve, would it restore my brakes to the way they were (still 'out', but the truck is still able to stop after pumping the brakes)? Like I said, I'm waiting till Friday on a paycheck and I need to drive my truck for the time being just to get to work.

Also, can someone give a really basic tutorial on brake bleeding?
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Post this exact question on pirate4x4.com it's Tuesday and they haven't had any good ones yet. Make sure you word it exactly as you have here and you'll get plenty replies.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:03 PM

My master cylinder was also about $130 for my '86. I decided to change my brake pads one day. When changing them, I noticed half of the brake pistons were seized on both calipers. After replacing the calipers and bleeding, the brakes still didnt work. I replaced the master cylinder and the brakes started working. Then I did a terrible thing. I thought the clutch could use some now brake fluid. As soon as the pressure was let out, it never worked again. Untill I bought a new master cylinder for the clutch. Now Im scared to touch the brakes, It just costs me money.

Anywho, park the truck untill you can afford to fix the breaks.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bill

on sorta an off topic: Brake Mster Cylinders are cheap down in your parts?! I phoned up NAPA the other day, and a new master brake cylinder is like $129+core...gotta love junkyards
I bought a reman, sorry, I should have mentioned that, but either way, the fact is, after core return, it cost me around $25-$30, which is much better than having no brakes IMO.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:32 PM

just looked it up to verify on autozone.com:

Master Cylinder (Brake System) for a
1985 Toyota Truck 4 Runner 4WD

FENCO_REMAN M52017 LLT $17.00 $30.49
- installer warning -
unit must be bench bled. If you experience
any installation problems, call toll free: (MORE...)

I know that some people say only buy new or only buy Toyota, but let's face it, for a quarter of the price, you can replace this every week and still save money (although it usually has a warranty), plus, as I said, a reman master is better than NO master.

*edit- Just went back and double checked for an '88, v6 or 4 cyl, it is the same price, there is really no excuse IMO.

Last edited by Intrepid; 10-17-2006 at 12:33 PM.