86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

brake/fuel lines, AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake/fuel lines, AGAIN

so yet again, i'm at the end of my rope. see https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...runner-152536/ for a detailed background of my problem. i'm very close to start parting it out, and believe me, i DON'T want to.

basically, i rusted out my brake lines in my 1989 4runner, and in the process of replacing it i broke my main fuel line. i found a set a brand new brake lines, but i just can't see how i can install them without either A. removing the body because they go between the frame and the body, or B. cutting them somewhere in the middle and adding a union somewhere convenient so it is 2 shorter pieces instead of 1 (which is probably what will end up happening). i couldn't get the d@mn things out without breaking them in pieces because they are so close to the frame and the 47 different bends prevent from just sliding them out nicely without destroying the shape, ergo, i won't be able to put the new ones in for the same reason.

but the big problem is that i cannot find anywhere that can match the fuel line tube nut because apparently it is some weird ass japanese stupid thread from the 80's. i've been to 5 DIFFERENT automotive supply stores and they have nothing that match. they all (and 1 of you, actually) directed me to a place called inline tube, which is local to detroit, which makes custom brake/fuel lines. i went there, and even they had never seen my fuel line tube nut. WHAT THE HELL THREAD IS THE FUEL LINE TUBE NUT? maybe, just maybe, if i can figure out what the hell thread it is, i can find a few tube nuts online somewhere and then bring them to the custom place and have them flare some pieces of steel line with these things installed, and i'll be back in business. otherwise, i'm SOL and it's time to scrap it out.

any help? need thread size, tube diameter, and flare angle for the fuel line. and if you can come up with that, maybe you can come up with thread size, tube diameter, and flare angle for the brake lines too, just to make sure i have the right part.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's hard for me to say exactly how I'd deal with your situation since I can't see it. I can tell you what I've done. What confuses me, though, is why you can't match up the tube diameter for the fuel line. I was able to when I went to the local O'Reilly. Only I didn't go with factory fittings. I bought some there, bent and flared the new tubing, and rerouted where I had trouble getting the line to fit in the factory locations.

I know it's a real pain, but figure out a new route for the lines. I used some long pieces of baling wire (from hay bales) to bend a mock up for measuring the lengths of tubing I'd need.

Another idea is to use compression fittings as opposed to flare fittings. I've done that before on another vehicle without issue.....ie no leaks.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by thook
It's hard for me to say exactly how I'd deal with your situation since I can't see it. I can tell you what I've done. What confuses me, though, is why you can't match up the tube diameter for the fuel line. I was able to when I went to the local O'Reilly. Only I didn't go with factory fittings. I bought some there, bent and flared the new tubing, and rerouted where I had trouble getting the line to fit in the factory locations.

I know it's a real pain, but figure out a new route for the lines. I used some long pieces of baling wire (from hay bales) to bend a mock up for measuring the lengths of tubing I'd need.

Another idea is to use compression fittings as opposed to flare fittings. I've done that before on another vehicle without issue.....ie no leaks.

the line isn't the problem. i can get the line no problem, and i can bend it myself no problem. the problem is getting the properly mating tube nuts to the remaining existing parts. would compression fittings seal against a mating flare fitting?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:39 PM

Oh..well, you asked for a tube diameter, so I assumed that was a problem.

Is one of the problems you're having mating a new line to lines on the fuel pump bracket?

No....compression fittings only work with compression fittings. Sorry.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, I replaced both my rear brake lines and fuel lines. First off I used OEM factory parts ordered from the dealer (not that bad, really!!! couple $$) To get the brake line in I had the gas tank moved over, the drive shafts off, the tranny out and the engine out. Piece of cake, sorry hope that helps some anyway. Hey at least the body was still on the frame.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-09-2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 AM

Is one of the problems you're having mating a new line to lines on the fuel pump bracket?
that's the main problem i'm having. there's a small (8"?) flex hose coming from the fuel pump, ending in a female connector. then there's the roughly 6' long metal fuel line, which is the one that i broke. then at the other end, there's another (12"?) flex line that goes into the fuel filter with a female connector. i can't find mating male tube nuts to those 2 female connectors on the flex hoses.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 AM

Have you tried the dealership like Dale did?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 PM

Have you tried the dealership like Dale did?
yep. no dice. they are all out of service parts, and they can't tell me what size the fitting is. if i could find out the thread size of the tube nut, i might have a little hope. but without it, i'm SOL.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 PM

I'll make a call this afternoon and see what I can do, okay?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

They should be able to order them with your vin #, no?

There is one more option with the brake lines. You could go to a 10' long flex line. I was going to go that route at one time and even got so far as ordering the line and some fittings which I still have. Here's a guy that helped me with finding those parts:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23361.0

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-09-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:44 AM

that'd be great, cuz i've exhausted the area i'm in.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
They should be able to order them with your vin #, no?

There is one more option with the brake lines. You could go to a 10' long flex line. I was going to go that route at one time and even got so far as ordering the line and some fittings which I still have. Here's a guy that helped me with finding those parts:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23361.0
there are no more service parts, period. they're gone. i don't need a flex line, i can bend my own lines. i thought about a flex line, but it's so much cheaper just to bend my own, and i'm capable of it so i'm just going to get a regular steel line. but if i don't have the right tube nuts on each end, then having a line (flex or not, pre-bent or not) isn't gonna do me jack crap.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM

Not sure if this will help ... I am going through the similar situation right now - only I am dealing with teh brake lines only. If you can get the right size tubing and a flare tool could you not reuse the old flare nuts if they were still in good shape? I am assuming the line is F'd but the nuts should be ok. To repair my brake lines I just got some 3/16" line and bent it myself and put a double-flare on the end of my original line beside teh gas tank and used a union to make the connection. Lets not talk about how many times I ahd to remove the gast tank before I got the fittings to be completely dry!

I was really suprised the the Toyota brake lines were just standard "double-flare". I have to take my gas tank out again tonight or tomorrow I will check to see if teh fitting at the fuel pump flex hose is "double-flare" or "bubble-flare". Depending on which it is you will need a diffeent flare tool.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:10 PM

anything?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can order the lines with the end parts on them.. i ordered one last week from toyota.. dont order just the nut order the whole line it cheap..just replace all fuel and brakes cuz in the rust belt there all gonna go.. youll be good for 15 more years then
Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
you can order the lines with the end parts on them.. i ordered one last week from toyota.. dont order just the nut order the whole line it cheap..just replace all fuel and brakes cuz in the rust belt there all gonna go.. youll be good for 15 more years then
i tried to do that. but maybe i should try a different dealership, or maybe even call one in canada, cuz my local dealership told me that there are no service parts left in all of america.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ayoung101
anything?
I'm real sorry. I tried to contact my friend there the other day and couldn't get him. Then, I just forgot. I promise I'll call him tomorrow, though.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Check this post out ...

I just when threw the same thing ... you can NOT buy the fuel nut "aftermarket" nor threw the dealership .. It is just NOT avaliable .. you either need to go to the junk yard and "get" one .. or buy the whole componant ..

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ew-bed-153395/

I also built a new sending/pickup .. like this ...

you can see here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...-build-131775/ page 6 ..

Last edited by slacker; 09-12-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by slacker
Check this post out ...

I just when threw the same thing ... you can NOT buy the fuel nut "aftermarket" nor threw the dealership .. It is just NOT avaliable .. you either need to go to the junk yard and "get" one .. or buy the whole componant ..

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ew-bed-153395/
i live in the detroit metro area. and partially because of the general area's negative opinion of any vehicle that isn't american (and therefore very few toyotas on the road in this region), and partially cuz these vehicles just don't die much, i haven't found anything that will work in any local junk yard. unfortunately, mine are rusted solid to the remaining line, and even if they weren't, i had to chew the crap out of them (ended up having to use a pipe wrench to get them off of the mating connector) to get them off. where would you buy the whole component? i didn't have any luck doing that either.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

You might try ORS for help with the fuel line fitting. http://www.offroadsolutions.com/

They provide fittings for engine swaps that mate up to the older fuel lines.

Quick Reply: brake/fuel lines, AGAIN