86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake Fluid level drop and have to pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Fluid level drop and have to pump

Ok guys to I had to do lines front to back on my 94 3.0. Got it done and bled out the lines along with the whatcha ma call it on the rear axle. Since then I have had a peddle that just plain sucks. It drops fast then grabs but if you pump it up it is fine. Well I figured air in the system or rear out of adjustment. So I was going to run up to the store to get some fluid today to do the bleed and my light came on, I get there and check and the fluid is at the min level. I can't find a leaking line or fitting, could I have damaged a wheel cylinder if the rear was out of adjustment? I imagine if thats the case that could cause a fluid leak.

On another note, how does one adjust the rears if the parking brake cable is broken? Someone told me you pull the parking brake and it will do it but I can't since its broke.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

you could have a cylinder going out or a power booster, maybe. on my 4 runner there is a rubber plug about 1" long on the backing plate, about 4-5''above the rear axle. that allows access to the adjuster for you shoes. I adjust mine to where i can feel the shoes just grabbing, oh, yes you will have to get the tire off the ground to spin it. sounds like you still have air in your lines to me.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:13 PM

well I will pull the rears off and check the cyclinders tomorrow and see what gives and then adjust the rears as well and if that doesn't fix it well I will bleed these suckers again lol.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was your brake fluid black at any point? This is an indication of really old fluid with high moisture content, and is caused by years of neglect from lack of yearly fluid changes.

If so, your master cylinder has probably failed due to internal corrosion buildup. Slight corrosion buildup in the bottom 3/4 of the cylinder travel will cause the m/c main seals to fail when you bleed the brakes.

The fix is to replace the brake master cylinder. Put in a new Aisin one (ASCO, available from worldpac or various parts stores that can buy worldpac parts). Aisin is the OEM for Toyota. So you get the Toyota quality without the dealer price and markup. This m/c will last for another 20 years or more in your vehicle if you replace your brake fluid every couple years.

Brake fluid, by it's very nature, must absorb moisture to prevent water from corroding things. Fresh fluid is clear/yellow and old fluid turns darker as it picks up moisture. Once the fluid is saturated, it must be replaced, or else the water starts to rust things. Even aluminum parts can corrode. Usually, the first thing to die is the front calipers, as that is the lowest point in the system, where the water 'falls' to.

HTH.

Last edited by 86tuning; 08-12-2007 at 02:55 AM.