86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blower Control Removal-1994 PU

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Instead of taking the dash apart into a million pieces, there is a really simple way to remove the temp control. Once you have the upper instrument cluster shroud up and out of the way, simply remove the ONE screw that holds the upper heater tube to the top of the heater box, and the heater control with cables will come out the top of the dash.
Excuse the ignorance, but I don't quite understand this one. Do you have any pics of removing the upper instrument cluster shroud?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
No i do not, as I do not own one of those generation vehicles. I have taken many of these out at work however. Basically, what you remove is the instrument cluster cover. should b e about 4-5 screws? Someone should chime in if they have any pics....
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Been awhile since I started this. I've removed all of the dash bottom from left to right. I've dropped the radio.

And I still cannot get the blower/heater control out!

Any ideas or experiences are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Why would you take apart the bottom parts of the dash, or even touch the radio? Like I said, remove the instrument cluster surround, and take out the one screw that holds the heater tube, and slide it out. Then the assembly comes out the top.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Why would you take apart the bottom parts of the dash, or even touch the radio? Like I said, remove the instrument cluster surround, and take out the one screw that holds the heater tube, and slide it out. Then the assembly comes out the top.
Had a good description with detailed pics of how to remove the bottom end and thought I could get it out that way. Not so far. What I get for thinking sometimes. But it's ok 'cause there was a TON of dust, dirt, grime behind there I want to clean.

I would have gladly did the way you describe (and was going too because you sounded like you had the most experience and had done it many times) but I didn't feel too confident as I had zero pics. to go by. I found two screws at the instrument cluster, just in front of the instruments, screwed in towards the windshield. Take them out, then what do you do next?

Looking in with a flashlight, to the left of the control is no passage out, to the right is no passage, and directly above is two ducts and the "registers" for the A/C that go over and then curve behind the control module in 1 piece. I azz-u-med I couldn't go out from above.

And how do you get the cables loose from the control without breaking the brackets that hold them? I pried a little to see if they would come out as they were "popped" in, but they are locked in there tight. There doesn't seem to be enough slack in them to get it out even if the top was removed but I could be wrong as I have zero experience with it up to this point.

Everything seems to point to the fan control switch as the fan only blows at 2 speeds and the resistor has been replaced. Plus the switch will pretty much lock itself in the high position. Have to pull really hard to get it to move back.

Is it removable from the module? It is separate and will "wiggle" independently. But it is like alot of these things, still tight. And if you don't know how to slide or pry the right way, it gets broken.

My hats off to anyone that has to work on these daily. I have no idea why it is designed as it is. Anyway, all input is appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:36 AM

Bump. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Last bump then she's gonna' get sold.

Thanks.

HM