86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bigger Leaf Pack vs. Long Shackles

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Bigger Leaf Pack vs. Long Shackles

Well, here's the next thing on my to-do list thats been on my mind. Been wanting to get rid of my blocks, and have been debating on whether to go with longer shackles or a bigger leaf pack. See, the way I've been figureing was to go with the longer shackles (3-4"), and get a little more use outta my stock leafs. Then later on go with a bigger leaf pack (been lookin at the superlift's 3 or 4" leaf pack for $124.99 a piece from 4wheelparts). Cause I believe the shackles would be much cheaper to have fabed than those leaf packs, right?

So what are yall's thoughts on the matter? Pros, cons on leafs vs shackles? All opinions appriciated.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:57 PM

Although I realise my ass end will be sittin a good deal higher than my front, but I haven't even thought about what to do bout the front yet, so any ideas on that too would also be helpful
Old 11-30-2006, 09:23 AM

springs are the best, but shackles are the easiest and cheapest.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Do it right...do it once. I sell both.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:46 AM

Not to Hi-Jack a thread ... How come no one makes replacement springs or 2inch lift springs for the prices of some 4-5" lift springs?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A bigger leaf pack will help reduce axle wrap so I vote for that.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:25 AM

i am thinkin about doin the same thing with either a leaf pack or new shackles.
what is the downside of doin shackles??
Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I vote a new leaf pack personally...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalyota
i am thinkin about doin the same thing with either a leaf pack or new shackles.
what is the downside of doin shackles??
See:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...es.shtml#FAQ12

While a longer shackle will give lift, it won't change the spring rate. So if your stock springs are sagging under the load (especially on a 4Runner), then they will still be sagging with the shackles. Lift springs will help carry the weight better. Shackles with a decent add-a-leaf, like the Rancho Soft-Ride AAL kit (http://www.gorancho.com/) is another option. OME makes a good 2" lift spring: http://www.arbusa.com/. JC Whitney carries decent stock height springs for under $150 as I recall.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 11-30-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 AM

I vote also for making the most lift with the springs. I have Downey 1 Piece 1.5" longer shackles with AALs and the AALs made more difference. I need to look at some heavier duty packs because I carry too much weight but if you don't carry a bunch of tools, spares, and equipment like I do then I think it's a really nice setup (rides and flexes great and was about $100 for the AALs and shackles).

For the lift Swamp is talking about definitely springs. Super long shackles make it sway too much for my tastes and then you mess up shackle angles, etc...
Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 AM

Thanks yall, have definitely given me things to thing about. Now yall got me wantin to do get mild shackles, 4-5" springs, AND a add-a-leaf now!

Now I gotta sersiously think about the front, cause I imagine seein the rear end sittin a good 8" higher than the front would look pretty wierd to some people.

But keep the input rollin! Appriciate all the help so far!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:30 AM

If you get new springs it's kind of redundant to do an AAL too.. That's more to get lift out of stock springs. Just get whatever springs you need for the right height.

As far as the front, are you going to stick with IFS or eventually get a solid axle?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 AM

I agree as far as what you said about aal are kinda redundant after just getting a new pack, but they also act as a overload spring that you see dually diesels using. And occasionally I have been know to pile a lot of weight back there, and I just prefer a buffer

As far as the front, I eventually plan to sas it, but that day is very far from now. But for the sake of aurgument, lets say no, I'm never going with solid axel.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:15 PM

ya i think i will forget the shackle thing and just go with a new spring kit
Old 11-30-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DON'T DO EITHER! Just do a chevy spring swap. You obviously hit the trail with that thing so they will only make things better that way and they do well of the road. It will most deffinately cost less then new springs, ride better on the road, flex better off road and give you the lift you want.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Ooo... Chevy spring swap? Never even heard bout that. Whats all involved?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:44 PM

There is a good article on PBB.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:10 PM

search it there is hella stuff on it
Old 12-01-2006, 06:57 AM

springs and stuff

Man, I've done almost every one of those options.

Longer shackles = 1.5 inches or so. If your stockers are already on the overload (flat) then it will still ride like crap, but don't worry, you'll probably use those shackles later.

AAL is an option. The 2 leaf "soft ride" will get you about another 1.5 inches. Lots of work. Get a shim in there while you have the pack apart to bring the nose of the diff back down after you added the longer shackles. Mine broke at the bolt hole after 2 years of wheelin'.

Next up: Stock length 4 inch lift springs. You'll want the longer shackle here too. I was able to invert the stock shackle with mine (and a load of wood in the back.) the springs went nice and flat, but the shackle wasn't long enough, layed flat on the frame, and didn't come back off of it. I wound up pulling a couple of leaves to compensate for putting the ol' long shackles back on. Keep these for your rears up front project later.

Then: Mazda spring swap: 56 inchers. Bought a couple of stock front hangers and welded them right in front of the originals. Worked pretty well for the last 3 years, but I was always adding leaves. They just can't take the weight. I used the same ol' Long shackles.

Now: Marlin's 4 inch rears. I used trail-gear's front hanger this time. They work GREAT (so far) they ride better than any thing I've had under the truck so far. I haven't lifted a tire yet, but I measured 17 inches difference left and right while crossed up on a snow pile yesterday. Drawback, I might have to move my rear hanger back too. I'm dreading that because I could have done the chevy swap for the same amount of work. We'll see how it works after a year on the trail. With the long shackles kicked back pretty far on my 4runner, I'm inches form the fender lip to the top of a 15 inch rim.

63 inch chevy option: a lot of people end up with blocks in addition to the springs = axle wrap = e-brake cable in the way. That doesn't turn me on. but, they are inexpensive and are proven to work very very well. Nothing else wrong with this method. Have to add new front and really should add new rear mounts.

link it: Want to do it once? Link the rear and run really long air shocks. You'll be able to adjust ride height at will. more load? add air. front too low? let air out. For the amount of work I've done over the last 10 years, I wish I had done it this way. (of course, it is nice not having shocks and towers sticking up though the 4runner bed too!)

Last edited by leiniesred; 12-01-2006 at 07:14 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 12-01-2006, 07:09 AM

The great thing about the chevy swap is if you make your own hangers you can have multiple spring heights right away. So if all you want is the standard 2-3" of lift then mount them as low as possible. If you do an SAS then you can move the mounting point down and fab up some longer shackles and gain another 1-3". You will have a solid 1/2 ton of cargo weight capacity back there too. Whatever you do don't put blocks, I did on my old runner and the only thing I got was lift, ĊĊĊĊty) ride and the potential for axle wrap.

Depending on who does the welding you could do the chevy swap for $50-$100.

Quick Reply: Bigger Leaf Pack vs. Long Shackles