86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ball Joint Spacer Lift and Ruined Lower Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Ball Joint Spacer Lift and Ruined Lower Ball Joints

About a year ago, I installed some ball joint spacers on my 87 4Runner. I installed all new Moog ball joints and tie rod ends at the same time. I did not mess with the torsion bar adjustment, it is still factory set. After all this I got it aligned the next day. Ever since, I've been plagued with lower balljoint failure. The first set (Moog) failed after about 2500 miles. I replaced them with 555 parts from AutoZone. They lasted about three times as long, but also came to the same fate. I figured that maybe OEM was the way to go. I dished out the money to the Yota dealer and now, my OEM balljoints have also developed play. I do wheel the truck but not at all what I would consider harsh. This is my daily driver so I never do anything risky. The PO put Rancho RS5000 shocks on it. They are for a stock height truck I assume because they limit down travel slightly. Could this cause any issue since the limit for down travel is set by the shock connected to the lower control arm instead of the bumpstop for the upper control arm? I have not read of anyone else having this issue with a BJ lift. If this was as big of a problem for everyone else as it was for me, I doubt anyone would consider a BJ spacer lift. So what can I check? All the bushings are good, all other ball joints/tie rods have had no issue. I can't keep spending money on lower ball joints. With the money I've spent so far, I'm almost halfway to a SAS kit.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Dude...you failed Ball Joint Spacer Installation 101.

Then you went and installed them anyway.

And you wonder why there's a problem?

7. Extend the shock to see if it needs shimming. it likely will) Place the appropriate number of washers to ensure the shock does not limit down travel.
http://sdori.com/SDORI_4WD_Spacer_Install.html

Sooo....

Longer shocks.

Or shim the ones you have so that they DO NOT limit down travel.

Simple enough?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM

I did install the spacers that were included in my BJ kit. But the shocks still limit downtravel. I plan to buy some OME shocks here soon. I only put it off because I was not terribly worried about the last half inch of downtravel I was losing.

Would the shock limiting travel actually cause damage to the lower ball joints? I really hope it's that simple.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Yes, it would. Because the lower BJ is the "follower". As opposed to the "main load carrier", which is the upper BJ.

As such, the LBJ should NEVER be heavily loaded by compression(stud and housing being pushed together). It's only designed to carry a significant load while under tension(stud and housing being pulled apart). The only compression load they ever see(normally) is the force it takes to extend the shocks. Which is MUCH less than the compressive force applied by the torsion bars pushing them against immobile lower control arms(which aren't budging because the shocks are too far extended/bound up/being used as bumpstops). And also quite a bit less, relatively speaking, than the tension load normally applied to the LBJs by compressing the shocks(loads which could be magnitudes higher, depending on shock valving). Since most shocks are easier to extend than to compress(in most circumstances, though not all).

So, by limiting the suspension down travel via the lower control arms(with a shock that's too short), said situation can be created whereby the LBJs are heavily loaded under compression(whenever that limit is reached). Which is a MUCH higher compression load than they were never intended to cope with...EVER. Under normal circumstances, the upper control arms are used to limit down travel(via the UCA bumpstops) . That way there's NO compression load on the LBJs being applied via the torsion bars...EVER.

Not to mention the excessive tension load placed on the shocks through over-extension. Though, I can only assume, that's not the main reason shimming them(if necessary) to avoid limiting down travel is mentioned in the tutorial.

Oh yeah...it's definitely that simple. You just need to think it through is all.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-25-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:34 PM

I understand what you're saying. I thought that it was possible but I also thought it was highly unlikely. I ordered up a pair of OME 60072 shocks. Hopefully Toyota will warranty my lower ball joints since all genuine parts come with 12 month warranty as long as they are installed on the intended Toyota vehicle. I'll just neglect to mention the truck is lifted.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So does that mean that it is a bad idea to jack up the truck by the lower control arm? I've done that a few times so as not to have to raise the jack as high (compared to jacking up the cross member). It sounds like, from your description, it would be a bad idea, but static loads would be much less than the dynamic loads seen when the suspension bottoms out.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Oh...I've done it a time or two myself. When I've had to(for various reasons). But yeah, it's never a good idea(unless you have to). That puts as high(or higher) a compression load on the LBJ as anything else I can imagine. Definitely not a wise choice for jack placement(barring certain "emergency" circumstances).

The center of the crossmember is what's recommended in the FSM.
Name:  Vehicleliftandsupportlocations.png
Views: 5530
Size:  38.1 KB

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-25-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Good to know. It's true what they say about learning something new every day.

It's also nice that this is not just a thought experiment as the OP's experience clearly seems to indicate that putting the LBJ in compression is a sure road to rapid failure.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:57 PM

Typical follower ball joint type construction(see pic below). Meant to be heavily loaded unnder tension preferably. Compression loads can damage this type of joint, when excessive.
Name:  Followerballjoint.gif
Views: 5516
Size:  6.4 KB

Typical main load carrying ball joint type construction(see pic below). Meant to be heavily loaded under compression preferably. Tension loads can damage this type of joint, when excessive.
Name:  Mainloadballjoint.jpg
Views: 6605
Size:  92.4 KB

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-25-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
MudHippy : ever thought of teaching a class on 4x4 yotas, with an emphasis on the 3vze?? if you do, please let me know.... I will be the first to sign up. Your wisdom knows no bounds
Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bone collector
MudHippy : ever thought of teaching a class on 4x4 yotas, with an emphasis on the 3vze?? if you do, please let me know.... I will be the first to sign up. Your wisdom knows no bounds
X2... Can learn alot from this guy!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:51 PM

A question if you wouldn't mind

So MudHippy, you clearly have a profound understanding of IFS and how it works. Would you recommend BJS or cranking torsion bars to get 1.5" of lift in the front? Or a combination?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 PM

So MudHippy, you clearly have a profound understanding of IFS and how it works. Would you recommend BJS or cranking torsion bars to get 1.5" of lift in the front? Or a combination? I have read alot of comments for and against BJS, you seem to know what your talking about so I just wanted your take on them. Thanks

P.S. Sorry about the double post I replied to the thread instead of your post and I wanted to make sure you got this.

Last edited by Bama; 05-30-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 AM

Balljoint spacers(upper only) + Crank down torsion bars + new links on front sway bar (mine were in very bad condition. After alignment I got a much better ride.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Look forward to doing this myself... (but not limiting down travel haha)
...pretty sure the KYB Monomax's I'd ordered aren't limiting, but I'll have to check. I've got a whole bunch of threads still exposed on the top of the front shock... so we'll see.