Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ABS Actuator Brake Lines (Rear wheel ABS only)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABS Actuator Brake Lines (Rear wheel ABS only)

The brakes went out on my girlfriends runner the other day (93 v6 3.slow 4x4 5spd)
I got under it and found the broken lines. The lines are the ones running from the 3 way blocks on the right frame rail just behind the front tire that go forward on the frame to the ABS Actuator. They had rusted clear through :-/ gotta love Ohio.. They are about 18-20 inches long in length. I had her stop at the stealership (Don Wood Toyota in Athens OH) today to see if they could order the lines but the people at the parts counter fought with her saying her truck didn't have rear ABS nor did it have an actuator for the rear ABS. I got a good chuckle out of that. I grew up in Oregon and i moved out here to Ohio to be with my girlfriend. I left my truck and all my tools ect (full shop) in Oregon so i don't have much for tools out here (just basic hand tools)

If anybody has a way to look up these part numbers or knows a knowledgeable parts man at a dealership that could find the part numbers i could just order the lines and toss them on. Otherwise I'll b down to buying the line and the tools to make the line :-/

The FSM doesn't show a part number for the lines, the ABS Actuator is on page BR-57. The lines are marked 15(155,11)

Thanks for any help or info YotaTech Rocks

Last edited by Workhorse; 03-03-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You mean this one hehe?

I can give you my VIN # and see if your parts dept shows my truck as having the ABS crap. Were they using the VIN # to look up the parts with? If not, they should.

Here's what I did to remove mine:
https://www.yotatech.com/912696-post60.html

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-03-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 AM

Yup thats the baby. The Toyota dealership my girlfriend went to has her truck on file they did the steering arm recall. so they should have the vin. But I'm not sure if they searched that way or not. I'm at work at the moment so I'll ask my girlfriend how they searched when she gets out of class. Thanks for the quick post of the pic
Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, write down the vin# before you go in there and they shouldn't have any problem finding the part.

When I was looking for a non-ABS rear brake line I first tried to have the parts guy find it, but there were too many different lines to choose from. So I found a truck in a parking lot that was like mine but with no ABS (yeah I snooped in his wheel well LOL) and copied down the vin# (you can see it through the windshield) and went back and ordered the line for that truck and it fit perfect.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-03-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look up the part# for a 94 or 95. Those years are officially listed as having ABS. Your GF's truck is probably a late model 93 when they had already switched the assembly line over to the ABS assembly install.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Well after several phone calls and my girlfriend bringing me a printout of their system i think i found the 2 lines. I sent her back armed with more info and to attempt the 94-95 years if needed. They were using her VIN to search the parts but supposedly the VIN points to not having ABS (according to them) the Service manager who has worked on her truck before had to come back into the parts dept and inform the Parts dept Manager that her truck DOES in fact have rear ABS and that she was asking for the correct parts and that finally got her past the wall to get in to look at the actual diagrams.

I would guess that Victor is right that her truck is a late 93. Anyway the part numbers are : 47326 and 47327. Going to order them up and i will note back if there the right lines thanks for all the help guys gave me ammunition to throw at the dealership.

I will try to get a pic of the diagram with part numbers on it up on the site when i get home so if anybody needs a brake line ect they wont have to fight with the parts dept to get it.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 PM

Sorry to jack this thread but....

Hey MT - I have a 1991 4Runner 4wd 3VZ auto tranny from California.

I have rear ABS as well and I really need to find the rubber hose at the front end of the actuator.

Can you direct me?

Thanks,

Dafried
Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Not sure how much up for DIY you are in for, but I have the same gen truck and I had rusted brake lines as well. I decided to redo them all. No point in fixing one weak spot only to have another blow 1 month later.

My personal advice, if your up for just a little fab you can do it all yourself without specific pre-cut lengths. Brake line comes in standard sizes both American and metric as well as the couplers coming in specific sizes for both american and metric. Its late and I cant remember the specfic brake line size, but I will tell you this, I bought DOT approved brake line for dirt cheap at autozone. It comes in various lengths. I bought 3 10 foot length sections to give me enough to learn/mess up on and it cost a whopping 30 bucks.

You will need couplers, which are also like 2 bucks per male/female pair. Make sure you take in an old one to match up.. the male side coupler is what hooks into your LSPV in the back and the front side disctribution point. It was almost stupid easy. The ONLY tricky part is making sure you DOUBLE flare the ends of the brake line. There is a very specific double flare that has a very SPECIFIC job. I bought a multi size line falaring tool at autozone for abour 15 bucks and it worked awesome. I will admit there is a little learning curve on how to use it. About 2 feet was used in just practicing flaring. Once you get it down, its easy.

Same for the rubber hose.. same for gas line. All of these have specific quialities and are easy to bend/cut with the right tool. I say this becuase I replaced my gas lines and the toyota dealership pretty much told me, on a truck as old as ours there are only like 3 left.. for me at least and they had no way of knowing when it would get in.. if they even could. It ended up being cheaper to make my own with the same size spec tubing. My flaring kit actually came with a manual showing the different flairs for different vehicles and different purposes(gas, brake,ABS-which in case you dont know runs off the power steering pump not the brake line simply becuase it needs constant pressure)

Last edited by GVOLCRunner; 04-24-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

I am heading to a hose and metal fabricator this morning. I have the old hose as a template.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:47 PM

Does anybody have an actuator that will work for a 92 runner? Mine leaks PSF like crazy. I am also looking for a auto trans ECU if any one knows of one.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Runnerfan
Does anybody have an actuator that will work for a 92 runner? Mine leaks PSF like crazy. I am also looking for a auto trans ECU if any one knows of one.
My 93 actuator might be the same if you have a 4x4 V6. It never leaked on me, $25 plus shipping.

The tranny computer and engine computer are the same ECU.