86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'95 3.0 Start when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 3.0 Start when Cold

Hello, first post, long time lurker. Search didn't answer all my questions so I hope someone here can help. Its a 95 runner v6 auto and about two weeks ago a battery was accidentally hooked up backwards to my truck. This resulted in the main fuse blowing(the one that is held by two screws and cannot be pulled out). I replaced the fuse and everything was straight until the next day when I went to leave work and it took close to four seconds to fire(no sputtering, no coughs, nothing). The engine cranked fine I had plenty of power it just wouldn't start. Then for the next week it would start fine one out of three tries. Then one morning it wouldn't start at all, I tried so many times that I believe I flooded it because when I popped the hood I immediately smelled gas. So it can't be fuel related right?, because I flooded it?. So I notice that the wire from the center of the distributer cap was all corroded and burnt looking. I replaced the cap,rotor and sanded the connector back to bare metal. Started perfectly. Next morning three to four seconds of cranking to start and when it did start it stumbled just a bit before it got going. Also with a little cloud of dark blue/black smoke nothing severe. And now every time I try to start the engine it cranks for three to five seconds before it fires up. If I shut it off then immediately try to start it again it will start fine. Now let me add that I do recall maybe a couple of times it had trouble turning over before the whole battery incident, but I think it too coincidental to be unrelated. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:59 AM

This morning I turned the key to ON three times before starting and it helped. Hopefully this helps. Any ideas? Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 AM

Cold Start...

Hopefully it's just a coincedence that your poor starts and your battery being installed backwards are now occuring. Poor starting, especially when it's cold is a very common post here, you may want to type in "Cold Start" in the search and see what comes up. There was a post, which got pretty deep, and I put my 02 cents in, it was under the heading "'Cold Start '91 P/U" or something of that nature... You'll see allot about the cold start injector and timer, try the inexpensive stuff first, save yourself some $$$... Good luck, let me know if I can answer some questions for you.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Sure enough again I turned the key(3x) just until the pump kicks on, then proceeded to start the engine and it started quickly with minor hesitation. Is there something ignition wise that I am missing that could be effected by turning the key a few times before starting or does this pretty much mean fuel? In the morning I will check the cs injector and replace fuel filter as I am hoping that it is badly plugged and the correct amount of fuel is not delivered when starting. This would explain why it starts if I "prime" the system a few times before attempting to start. This is also only a starting problem and the truck operates fine once running aside from being a slug of course.

Last edited by AaronH; 12-06-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:37 AM

Fuel filter was a big no-go. Got the input line off fine, held the other line with the 14mm and tried turning the filter with the 19mm. Bent the head of the filter because the line wouldn't budge. Managed to get it bent back and re-installed input line. Leak-free for now hopefully. Looks like I have to go to stealership for a friggen fuel filter soooooo pissed. I want to meet the guy who located the filter at the bar tonight lol.

Last edited by AaronH; 12-07-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 AM

did you loosen both fuel filter bolts before completely taking one off? 3-5 seconds seems fine to me for starting. espically in the cold. you should be happy its even starting!! i had many problems with my 3.0. i would replace all the plug wires, test your coil wiht an ohm meter, and also test the tps while your at it. also get a pcv valve
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 AM

Ya it was all loose the output line just wouldn't budge. PB blastered it and everything. I think I am going to cut the line in what ever open spot I can find, slide the whole thing out and then wrestle the filter off. Then just use some rubber fuel hose and clamps at the cut point upon re-assembly.

Last edited by AaronH; 12-07-2008 at 01:39 PM.