86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 22re injector problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TC22RE
Hmm, I must have glazed over the part about the clicking randomly, forgive me. I think injector pulse will happen regardless of an operational fuel pump or not. But having them just sort of go off on their own is something else entirely. Could be something funky like the injector drivers having gone out. Or the signal to the driver corrupted from interference (spark plug wires?) / faulty distributor. Do you have access to noid lights (to plug into the injector harness), if you have 4 of them you can visibly see which injectors are firing and which aren't and when. The injector driver, if I recall correctly, fires in batches, meaning 2 injectors fire at the same time, then the other 2. While watching you can probably see if it's just 2 injectors randomly going off, or all 4. If it was just 2 I would lean towards a bad injector driver, if its all of them I would think the signal to the driver from the distributor is bad.
ill rent set noids check that out, feels like #3 &2 but hard to tell by touch cause they hit hard enuf to vibrate the whole rail a bit. It's gonna be tough unplugging injector plugs with plenum in way but at least u gave me next step. Thx dude!
Old 10-08-2016, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by CrustyYota
ill rent set noids check that out, feels like #3 &2 but hard to tell by touch cause they hit hard enuf to vibrate the whole rail a bit. It's gonna be tough unplugging injector plugs with plenum in way but at least u gave me next step. Thx dude!

So, noid set only had one that fits my injector plugs...but anyhow results were steady light on #1&#2. Random flickering on 3&4. Keeps getting stranger haha. Those aren't even proper batch pair right? This test was just key to on no cranking. So I think we know that it's 3&4 flooding her. Is it time to order a computer now?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:56 PM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
the factory wiring diagram shows that the injectors are paired up, but in reality they are tied together in the harness, to all fire at once, not in pairs... the joint where they are tied together has been a source of problems for a number of people out here, do a search.

at any rate, putting a noid light on the injectors doesn't tell you why they are firing, when the key is on but the engine isn't running and isn't even being turned over by the starter.

the point that was made earlier about fuel regulator leaking was good, i wonder if there is more than one problem here.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:51 PM

Has the AFM been messed with yet? It controls the FP and also controls how much fuel the injectors pulse, but NOTHING should be pulsing without the distributor spinning.

Very unusual fail Crusty
Old 10-09-2016, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Racersk
Has the AFM been messed with yet? It controls the FP and also controls how much fuel the injectors pulse, but NOTHING should be pulsing without the distributor spinning.

Very unusual fail Crusty
yea OSV, I've checked the fuel regulator before. But I killed power to fuel pump. To fight one prob at a time. Pump was wired to ign on by po for anyone catching up. I didn't think it should get pulse signal without distributor spinning either. Injectors 3&4 are randomly going to grnd with key on. I'm sure more than one issue with her but I want injectors stop opening like that first. Normally I'd crank it over to test injector harness with noids but this issue is key on injectors operating craziness. Thx guys I'm running out of ideas.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:46 AM

yea OSV, I've checked the fuel regulator before. But I killed power to fuel pump. To fight one prob at a time. Pump was wired to ign on by po for anyone catching up. I didn't think it should get pulse signal without distributor spinning either. Injectors 3&4 are randomly going to grnd with key on. I'm sure more than one issue with her but I want injectors stop opening like that first. Normally I'd crank it over to test injector harness with noids but this issue is key on injectors operating craziness. Thx guys I'm running out of ideas.

I took a pic of inside ecu, do u guys agree there's a scortch mark near center of pic above little red transistor? This truck was welded on a lot over the years. Could this be the weirdness? Maybe the welding machine fried the ecu? Asking a lot of y'all but I'm losing confidence here lol.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:43 AM

She's toast dude!
You need a new(used) ECU.

Remove the jimmy rigged wiring.

Check for melted or pinched wiring around the Intake manifold, Especially around the EGR Hot tubes.

I took a pic of inside ecu, do u guys agree there's a scortch mark near center of pic above little red transistor? This truck was welded on a lot over the years. Could this be the weirdness? Maybe the welding machine fried the ecu? Asking a lot of y'all but I'm losing confidence here lol.

Last edited by Racersk; 10-10-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:36 AM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
you can tell if something is burned by sticking your nose next to the area, it will stink if it's burned.

you can also remove the board from the case, if it's burned the backside will probably also show some kind of damage... just be sure and ground yourself before handing the ecu, and try to touch it by the edges only.

the center cap out of that group of three capacitors looks like it might be leaking? can't tell for sure from the pic... when a cap goes bad it usually swells up, not really seeing that here.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by osv
you can tell if something is burned by sticking your nose next to the area, it will stink if it's burned.

you can also remove the board from the case, if it's burned the backside will probably also show some kind of damage... just be sure and ground yourself before handing the ecu, and try to touch it by the edges only.

the center cap out of that group of three capacitors looks like it might be leaking? can't tell for sure from the pic... when a cap goes bad it usually swells up, not really seeing that here.
Ive checked for a pinched wire and checked egr for melted wire...there's not anything like that. All looks good except ECM, I realize it's possible prob may not be the burnt computer but think I'll try that next since it's most obvious. The afm ohmmed out like it should seems to be good. Haven't found an exact match on ebay for ECM "89661-35830" I wonder if any other part numbers with three plugs and same pin count would be close enuf? U guys know?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:06 PM

You dont need the same ecu number But manual/auto are different (auto will work with some modifying) and there are 2 differnt plug types from 89-95. 92ish they changed but you will get mix and match with Toyota. If the plugs are right shape and 22re manual, it will work.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Flash319
You dont need the same ecu number But manual/auto are different (auto will work with some modifying) and there are 2 differnt plug types from 89-95. 92ish they changed but you will get mix and match with Toyota. If the plugs are right shape and 22re manual, it will work.
thx flash. Still trying find a used ecm here, hope right one pops up on ebay soon.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:30 AM

thx flash. Still trying find a used ecm here, hope right one pops up on ebay soon.
Hey guys, got used ecm in today nov 12. That fixed her, she runs great no more overfueling. Thx for all your help.