Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 Long Bed Suspension Upgrade/Custom Camper Top?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Long Bed Suspension Upgrade/Custom Camper Top?

I have a 1991 4 cyl LB.ExtCab with 270k on it. I bought it recently and it still runs great! However, the shocks are pretty worn out and I am planning on doing a suspension upgrade very soon. At the same time, I am also considering building a custom camper top for the truck since I will living out of it and traveling cross country this summer.

I have several questions. The other day I was discussing this project with someone I had met who was saying that you can get an extra set of leaf springs that bolt on above the original leaf springs. Does this ring a bell? Can someone tell me more about what I am looking for? Also, what is a good shock to use for replacement? This truck will basically be an on-road only truck, for travel and camping, not off-roading or anything rough. I'm not gonna lift it up or anything like that. I am interested in smooth handling and the ability to handle the weight of a camper top plus a bunch of personal things like tools etc, which I will be storing in the truck.

I have imagined a lot of different camper top configurations, but I really like the idea a friend gave me. He suggested using wood to frame out a shape and clapboards covered in laquer to keep out the weather. So it might be a little heavy, but I plan on having the camper rest on the bed rails, vs. coming down all the way to the bed and covering up the wheel wells. So essentially, it will be like a truck shell, but it will come up over the cab some in order to allow for a little sleeping compartment.

So that takes me back to my original questions - what kind of suspension combination will allow me to add the weight of the camper plus things and give me a nice smooth ride on the road? I don't have an estimate as to the weight of the top, but that could be worked out. Any advice or personal experience is welcome
Old 04-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get some bilstein shocks, and some 5" Trail-Gear Offroad shackles, it will make it ride smoother, and the shackles will give you about an inch or less of lift, just to keep that camper shell from sagging your springs and making it ride rough. Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 AM

So the shackles just bolt right in and don't need any additional adjustment? I guess I loosen the lug nuts, jack up the back, remove the tires/wheels, remove the old shocks, remove the leaf springs, remove the old shackles, install the new ones, re-install the leaf springs, pop in the new shocks, reassemble, and I'm good to go? I'm assuming the front wouldn't need modification with that plan, other than replacement shocks?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need to remove the wheels and tires, or springs, just jack up the truck, place the jack stands infront the frame spring hanger and pull the old shackles, out and put replacement shocks all around and your done. Shackles are kinda a PITA if your truck has a rusty frame or sees alot of salt, PB Blaster is your friend.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:28 AM

Billsteins are a little expensive - are there any other brands that will offer a lot of support when carrying loads that don't cost as much?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 AM

The springs that go on top of the other springs are called "Helper Springs"
You can find them here at JC Whitney. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 AM

If it helps, this is going to be an "on-road" only truck, and I won't be doing any crawling or anything, so I need a smooth ride and extra support.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Something else you might consider is adding a coil spring helper to the rear end. If your stock springs are flat the coiled mod will push them back to stock height and add a little bit of lift to help with heavier loads. The great benefit is the added load capacity. I did this on an 86 ext cab truck with a camper on it so I could pack tools and camping gear in there and not stress the leaves.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/ (ZUKs site) has some great write ups on the bottom of the page on the left. The top write up is a link to my install. It's really really easy to do. I ended up putting spacers in the front of mine to level it out since I got more lift than I expected but as a camping rig I figured a little more lift wouldn't be a bad thing.

As far as shocks go I used OEM replacements from NAPA. Monroe Sensatracs (spelling?) and they made the ride 100% better than the ones that were on there.

I've taken that truck to several places to camp and piddle around, hauled dozens of loads of firewood out of the mountains and loaded the back end down with a lot of weight. The ride on those coils is outstanding.

Since your's is an "on-road" only rig the coils will make it easier to load the back end down and not lose ride height or stress the stock springs at all.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks, that seems like some good advice, a better solution than just adding a longer shackle. Is eBay the only place to get the springs?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:47 PM

Do you have a picture of your truck you can post? I've never seen a 89 or newer with a long bed, and never a long bed and extended cab. I'm really curious to see what it looks like.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Have you thought about air bags? I put them on my truck to get rid of the sag and I really like them. You can air them up for more lift or lower the pressure for no load. I got them from auto zone for 200.......regards.....Rick
Old 04-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by barnswallow
Thanks, that seems like some good advice, a better solution than just adding a longer shackle. Is eBay the only place to get the springs?
The site that ZUK recommends on his web page is where I got mine and I think its the same place that he gets his when he does the conversion for others. Can't go wrong if you follow ZUKs advice.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:38 PM

this would be really cool
Attached Thumbnails 91 Long Bed Suspension Upgrade/Custom Camper Top?-yota-camper.jpg   91 Long Bed Suspension Upgrade/Custom Camper Top?-yota-camper1.jpg   91 Long Bed Suspension Upgrade/Custom Camper Top?-yota-camper2.jpg  
Old 04-26-2009, 04:39 PM

Attached Thumbnails 91 Long Bed Suspension Upgrade/Custom Camper Top?-yota-camper4.jpg   91 Long Bed Suspension Upgrade/Custom Camper Top?-yotacamper-3.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 05:42 AM

I do have a picture, I hope it shows here OK. Yesterday I replaced the shocks. I got Monroe Matic Plus on the front and Monroe Sensa Trac on the rear. The leaf springs are still bottomed out though, and I figure that since the previous owner let the shocks get real worn out, it put extra stress on the leaf springs and now they are all sagged. I'm not sure, but I think the helper coil spring might be the best and most cost-effective way to get some lift on the rear and take pressure off the axle. I hope to have all this done pretty soon, and if I can scrounge up a camera, I'll post some pics.
Attached Thumbnails 91 Long Bed Suspension Upgrade/Custom Camper Top?-img_3369.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 PM

That looks like a short bed (6 foot) to me, but it's hard to tell from that angle. Interestingly, a long bed '91 showed up on my local Craigslist yesterday:

I've got an 86 long bed 4wd (got to change my signature), and they are pretty rare.

If yours has a 6' bed, you should be able to pick up an old cap for it for real cheap or free. I gave away the cap that my old 2wd truck came with. Check out Craigslist or your local want ads.

Last edited by Chris862wd; 04-27-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by barnswallow
The leaf springs are still bottomed out though....put extra stress on the leaf springs and now they are all sagged. .
Saggy springs after a while is just old toyota. I have had 5 toyota trucks over the last 20+ years and rear springs is something they have never gotten right for some reason...They did a TSB spring replacement on my '05 Taco..heck the rear springs on my '89 Tercel were crap too

IMO the coil helper will be placing a little stress on your axle, it usually mounts in between the frame and the axle. It is a cheap alternative but in the long run replacing your springs is the way to go...
Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
x2 that is a short bed. i dont think they ever made a long bed ext. cab.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 PM

You've got a 2wd, so your options are limited. You can get 1.5" lift springs from Downey that will put it close to stock height, but they ride like hell. I know, I put a set on my old 2wd. Although, with the added weight of a camper top, it might not be so bad. I would suggest an add-a-leaf. Your existing springs have lost their springiness, so an add-a-leaf will add some back, and since the old leafs are dead, it shouldn't be too stiff.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Short bed it is

Now I realize my options are all over the place. Longer shackle might bend, helper coil springs wear out, add-a-leaf might be stiff. I haven't built the camper top yet, so I don't know what kind of load I'm talking about, but I really want something that will allow for a bit of storage over the cab and space to crouch and move around in the bed, since I will be traveling extensively in it. Any idea what kind of weight is appropriate for the 22re's power? I like the idea of the add-a-leaf - how difficult are they to install? The helper coil spring requires a MIG weld, which I can't do myself.

Quick Reply: 91 Long Bed Suspension Upgrade/Custom Camper Top?