Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 4Runner Rear Body Panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4Runner Rear Body Panels

I have an 89 Runner that has some bad rear quarter panels. They aren't rusted out or anything, just got hit and needs some work. I am wondering if they come off individually or if that entire bed unit is one piece? If they come off, does anyone have any?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can cut & replace certain sections: go to http://www.alfaparts.net/toyota4r.htm for parts.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 AM

I replaced the rear quarter panels on my 84 4Runner a couple years ago. At the time the only replacement panels i could find were direct from Toyota and were pretty pricey (about 500 ea i think). To replace them, you need to remove the fiberglass topper and then drill out all of the spot welds around the edge of the panel. Then drill some holes in the new panel, mount and weld. It is a lot of work and can get pretty messy, but it is well worth it. I beleive that there is now a Canadian company that sells fiberglass rear quarter panels for the first generation 4Runner. The attached pics are from when I replaced the qtrs on my truck.
Attached Thumbnails 89 4Runner Rear Body Panels-110-1028_img.jpg   89 4Runner Rear Body Panels-110-1034_img.jpg  

Last edited by 4Rocker; 09-25-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:39 AM

4Runner Rear Body Panels

I'm in the same boat as you, I did some research and came up with this:

1. Parts from dealer (Stamford, Ct) cost $780 each r qtr panel. Body shop pro prefers this option because there is little prep work. What I save in prep work I spend on parts, can't win.

2. Parts from http://www.alfaparts.net/toyota4r.htm come in 3 pieces. T4R5AL(R) T4R3L(R) and T4R4L(R) . This will be alot of prep work, to many seams to hide.

3. Parts from www.toyotafiberglass.com have good write ups on other boards and are not as expensive as OEM.

I wasn't planning on doing this work myself that's why I went to recommended body shop. They weren't to thrilled about the fiberglass parts but I kind of prefer them because of price and they'll never rust.

Hope this helps a little, good luck!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
toyotafiberglass.com is the choice i think im going to go with. corey is really helpful over there, just go to the site and email him if you have any questions.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey all! I'm reviving a 5 year old thread.

I am in need of some quarter panels for my '89 4runner. I have been thinking of using the toyotafiberglass.com fiberglass quarters, but I also noticed that used/salvaged quarters are available for as little as $200 ea. Of course you have to go to Arizona or South Carolina to find them, which is not an option for everybody.

What I'd really like to see is a fiberglass patch panel that fit OVER the lower section of a rusty quarter panel. You'd basically just grind away the rusty sections and seal um up with some primer. Then you'd bond the repair panels on with poly panel adhesive. If you did a good job of sealing up the back side it would last for ten years or more.

Somebody more ambitious than me needs to get on this right away. -- Matt
Old 02-09-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
I can build these for you .. as a custom piece .. (must be prepaid)
I have done so in the past ..

you could cut them as you see fit .. or we can before we ship (save money in freight)

biggest problem with this .. In my opinion ... is that it is just a bandaid !! and NOT a quality repair .
with freight and customs , packaging fees ....... I highly recommend our complete panels ..
and really .. they are NOT that hard to install .

Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 PM

I think your regular panels look great and are priced right; I am very inclined to go that route. The repair panels you are showing here are out of the same molds aren't they? If so they won't fit over the sheet metal like a second skin because they have identical dimensions.

There's another advantage to using salvaged metal quarters that I want to mention. Most of the 4runers I've seen here in the midwest U.S., that have cancerous quarters, have rusty lower sections under the quarter panels. Particularly the front and rear sections of the inner sheet metal. So if I bought fiberglass quarters I'd still have to find a way to repair that stuff. If I can get salvaged quarters with the wheel tubs and the inner bits, I'd everything I need to do a quality repair as you mentioned.

The thing that is amazing about my 4runner is that while the quarters are pretty bad, and the front fenders need replacing, the rest of the body is excellent. The classic fatal rust at the seams high in the firewall, the thing that causes rain water to leak onto the interior floor/foot well, is non-existent in this 4runner, under the hood is pristine as well. Even the lower door seams are perfect on both doors. So she's a keeper in my opinion. And I'm thinking, if I go with salvaged quarters and replace the bad inner bits I'll have a nice "investment grade" 4runner to keep. -- Matt
Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 PM

I remembered that I have a few pictures of 4runner inner panel rust; the kind that needs to be fixed before a new quarter panel can be installed (if you're gonna do the job right ). These are from another '89 4runner that I bought for $500 with a bad frame about five years ago. It became an efi donor for my '84 xtra cab (motor, harness, instruments and ECU; also fuel pump, rear axle, starter, alternator). I easily got my $500 out of it (and then some). In fact I'm still selling or using parts from that rig. And now it's my test bed for the quarter panel replacements that my "good" 4runner is going to get. So far I've removed most of the driver's side quarter panel skin. Next I'm gonna try cutting the passenger side off with the wheel housing and the inner sections intact. I'll document that so I can show a wrecking yard exactly how I want it done.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
whach ever route you go .. fiberglass or steel .. the KEY is exactly what has been pictured above .. Rusted inners

If you just patch up the out side , however you do it .. it's a waste of money as the rust will just continue on ..

IMO it is much better to remove and replace .. and wether you go with our fiberglass or not .. at least you can get the skeleton structure exposed , and cleaned !!!!!

best of luck !

CJ