86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

89 4Runner Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 4Runner Problems

Hello everybody. Just got my first Yota. Always had (and still have) lifted Cherokees, but decided I wanted something different. So I bought myself a 89 4 Runner. The first gen.

Since I bought it yesterday, ive found a few problems.

The drivers side front tire seems like its been pushed back. The passenger is where it should be from the factory, distance from the fender to tire/bumper to tire, but the drivers is pushed back into the fender area. I didnt notice it until I loaded it onto my trailer and saw it. Nothing looks wrong visually but something definitely is. Im going to get it aligned and hope it drives alright. Wheels are toe-ed out really bad.

Sounds like it has a misfire. Will idle by itself after it gets going but It has no power, and runs like complete crap. Had to have it in low to get it on the trailer. (I found one of those foul prevention things on the #2, and only #2 spark plug. Took it off. Havent started it since yet.)

And now it doesnt want to start at all. Lights stay on but all I get is a click. Tapped starter. Nothing happened. Its probably just bad.

Other than those few (big) issues, I got to compression test the #1 cylinder before the starter went out and it read 150.
Rust free frame and body
Transmission shifts great, and ESPECIALLY the Tcase. Best shifting TC ive ever had.
Tires are good. Mickey thompson rims.

Anyone have any input on my new Yota? Paid $1300 (too much, but need a new vehicle)

Pics are from the ad. Will get more tomarrow. I have the fender, its just off in the pics.

Name:  00d0d_dd5a63SLPVg_600x450_zpsqqmyuucz.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  00F0F_leIcqcyD9Dz_600x450_zps5k25keol.jpg
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  00L0L_bxOMQ5kmeLI_600x450_zpskaptvzob.jpg
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  01414_gNaeko5qB6S_600x450_zpspwcjpgqp.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  24.4 KB

Last edited by Tylerzap; 07-16-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why was the fender off??

If it took a hit on the left front perhaps something has been pushed back..

If that is the case a front end alignment might be real interesting.

Did you pay to much time will tell.

Shame on you for not looking closer no doubt when you saw this you could not say no.

This happens at times with first time Toyota buyers.

You don`t say what engine .

I bet you have a bad ground condition check that before putting another starter in.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Why was the fender off??

If it took a hit on the left front perhaps something has been pushed back..

If that is the case a front end alignment might be real interesting.

Did you pay to much time will tell.

Shame on you for not looking closer no doubt when you saw this you could not say no.

This happens at times with first time Toyota buyers.

You don`t say what engine .

I bet you have a bad ground condition check that before putting another starter in.
Supposedly because it was beat up and rusty. its a little dented but not got-hit-by-a-car or anything dented. Just bent a little.

I looked over it as good as I could but until I could see it on the trailer, parallel to the front I couldnt tell.

It has a 22RE. Engine looks nice and clean. dont count for much if it runs like ˟˟˟˟ though.

Im going to go through and check all the wiring on this thing tomarrow.

I kind of wonder if the PO drove it into a ditch or something, and thats why the fender is decent but the tire is pushed back. He also put on new tie rod ends (which is partially why its crazy out of alignment)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Well it looks like the frame has a small bend behind the upper A arm. Dang it.

Still cant get the starter working.

I like this thing but with the bent frame, im not sure if I should hold onto it and get it pulled or sell it and get something else.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My starter used to do that randomly for years - I have any 89 but have the 3.Slow motor. Replaced the starter twice but still had the same issue. My mechainc, who happens to be a Toyota Master Mechanic, said the wire harness from the ignition to the starter was dry rotted. He replaced the wires and it has started up right away everytime since - its been over 3 years without any issues.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 PM

Well didn't feel like messing with this one anymore. Bought for $1300, put $145 in parts and gas, selling for $1500 to a friend.

So I was looking for something to replace this. Couldnt think of anything that would fit what I wanted better than a 4Runner though.

Then I remembered, for years I used to pass 2 of them at a guys house on a dirt road. So I stopped and asked about them.

One of them, white, 86, 22re, auto 4x4. Been sitting needs fanbelt and water pump. 280,000 miles. Wanted $600.

Then he had a nice, blue, rustfree, 88 Runner in his driveway. Tops never been off. Boxes and boxes of brand new OEM parts. New tires. 22re. Rebuilt transmission and transfercase. New timing chain. This thing is beautiful. Sadly, its automatic. But he wants $1500 for it, which is an amazing deal. Plan on picking it up soon and the white one later down the road.