YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

'88 pickup, V6, 4x4: removing oil pan

Do I have to drop/remove the front differential to remove the oil pan to replace the oil pan gasket? I removed the steering dampener and idler arm from the steering (suggested here in another thread) and that gives me a lot of room, but the front diff seems to prevent me from even getting at the bolts to the pan. I haven't jacked the front up to see how much room that gives me.

(P.S., I'm planning on putting RTV on both sides of the new oil pan gasket, but i see there is another plate between the oil pan and the engine block ... does that require a gasket and/or sealant?)

Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
termiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Threadstarter [OP]

up

Need any guidance you can provide ... thanks!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Contributing Member

pull the online FSM for complete details; you'll have to drop the diff or raise the engine to get it off. The FIPG on there is a PITA so be prepared to chisel the pan & baffle off VERY CAREFULLY & razorbladet the FIPG off.

Multipe FSMs!!!
EPIC 3VZE info thread
Cheap OEM Parts: www.toyotaofnewnan.com

TNRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Threadstarter [OP]

Is the online FSM you are referring to the one on the Toyota site available for purchase?

I assume the FSM shows how to drop the diff. Also, what is between the baffle and the block, another gasket?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

I just noticed that the tech site on Toyota only covers back to 1990. Anyone have access to the '88 FSM (Engine Volume ... i have the chassis volume)?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #6

Termiflyer:

I recently did mine (1990 truck) so here is what I remember:

Don't sweat the date on the manual - I think all of them V6s are pretty much the same with respect to the oil pan. The section in the fsm is under the "LU" or lubrication system.

On mine you have to drop the front diff. I removed mine. Major PIA.

Once there the job is relatively simple:

1. I removed the transmission "stiffener plates" - these were in the way on mine.

1a. DRAIN OIL

2. Removed the nuts and bolts on bottom of oil pan per fsm.

3. Ran a razor blade (with a drift) around the oil pan to break the old fpig.

4. The pan then drops off.

4a. Undo the oil strainer and remove it.

5. Do the same for the baffle plate. (The baffle plate is just another plate pretty much parallel with the oil pan but above it. It "baffles" the oil in the pan so that it does not slosh around to much.)

6. Reinstall - just follow the fsm - make sure surfaces are clean - this took me the most time. Used "The right stuff" silicone from NAPA.

HINT: For me, I needed to put steering to full lock right to remove the oil pan. I also unclipped the steering damper.

Last edited by BC Rider; 06-18-2007 at 10:44 AM.
BC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #7

undo the motor mounts (4 bolts) jack up the truck put a jack stand under the tranny close to the motor with some sort of padding on it (old carpet or a wood block) then lower the truck back down lower it slow and make sure that the stand is not too high.

this works I have done this a few times lucky for me my own truck has a 4 inch suspension lift and it did not require this

86 pickup
1986 stock pickup 22r 31.10 BFG ATs flatbed

a sad day for the 4runner
"One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life."
CyMoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1989, 4x4, 88, 89, 93, differential, front, gasket, oil, pan, pickup, remove, toyota, truck, v6