86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 4Runner Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4Runner Seats

My husband has a '87 4Runner and for an anniversary and father's day present I am wanting to get some interior work done on the his truck for him. He won't do any of it because he doesn't feel it is a necessity and well having to sit on pillows to drive the truck is starting to get really annoying. I am trying to find front seats for his truck. It currently has bucket seats and I'm trying to find new ones, or new to him seats. I have looked on Amazon and E-bay and I am not even sure what will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am taking his truck by an auto upholster to look at, but I'm really afraid that this option is going to cost a lot more than I would really like to spend! Thank you!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

That is going to be your only option unless you want to go with fancy off road seats.

Which most often require some Fab work to install in Vehicles.

Then are over priced to boot.

Perhaps a used set to have redone and installed on the big day.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:08 AM

you can literally put any seat in any car especially a 4runner. You can take the roof off and literally almost any seat will fit. you can go to a wrecker and pick up some nice leather RSX heated bucket seats or any lexus and you guys will be more than happy! cheers
Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by SnowVan
you can literally put any seat in any car especially a 4runner. You can take the roof off and literally almost any seat will fit. you can go to a wrecker and pick up some nice leather RSX heated bucket seats or any lexus and you guys will be more than happy! cheers
This option will require fabrication. Just swapping a same generation 4Runner seat into my pickup required a little work.

Though almost any seat could literally fit into your husband's 4Runner, unless you find a similar year vehicle, it'll require at least some amount of tinkering. If that's beyond your capability, a good upholstery shop should be able to recover/repaid plus EXTRA pad your stock seats.

Good luck! Be sure to post up your final results.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:04 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Do some looking in salvage yards. I found a couple of decent seats for $75 each for my '94 that way. Even if they have a bit of wear or damage, it might be cheaper to have the upholstery shop start with something that is in reasonably good shape than ones that need a complete rebuild. Especially if your existing seats are leather, as mine were. The shop wanted about $700 each to repair those.

Last edited by RJR; 04-11-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would go to the junkyard, and try to get some seats from a 2nd. gen. 4runner.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Call around to some junkyards. Be sure and notice what color his interior is, blue, red, gray or tan. You can use seats from an 84 through a 2002 4Runner. Seats from 1990 to 2002 will require two extra holes drilled for each seat. It would be better to use the back and bottom cushions from newer seats mounted on the original framework to retain the slide feature of the passenger seat and not have to drill holes. I believe you can use the backseats too. A lot of junkyards belong to a exchange system and can get what you want shipped in. Another option would be custom seat covers. Most people like wetokoles.com They are neoprene seat covers (wet suit material) and I find them hot in the summer but you can get back and front made or just front. They take about 4 weeks to manufacture and send from Hawaii so you might end up giving him a photo in a jewelry box. Before you order are you sure the seats he now has are original? If you're not sure post a picture here and we'll help.

Any other interior parts he needs you can ask here and lots of people here are great to deal with. In 1st gen 4Runners a lot of the interior parts break and you can't get them from the dealer. Good luck. You're planning a really thoughtful present for him. Also have you seen softoppers.com? He paid me to ask you.

Last edited by Nervo19; 04-11-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 PM

Thank you everyone for the help. My bro in law is helping me with the seats and we are checking a couple salvage yards later this week. I honestly couldn't tell you if the seats are original or not, and I don't think that my hubby knows either. We bought the truck about 10 years ago from a kid that got scared playing around with the 4x4. We had to put some work into it from the start, but she has been a great ride since. No major malfunctions other than having replaced transmission about 4 years ago. I will get some pics posted hopefully soon. I am hoping to get some interior work done for him and thankfully I have a mechanically inclined brother in law that is willing and able to help. Otherwise this would become a rather expensive project. I went by an upholster and he wants $400 to redo the seats, but eventually we are going to get the backseat done in vinyl. Something we don't have to worry to much about if the top is off. Another project that is going to take some research will be looking into a soft-top theory. I love taking the top off, but it's a major pain!!! Thank you again guys and I will be back with more questions, lol!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I checked into getting my re-upholstered. I had estimates at $400,800,and 1200. That was for all 4 seats. All 3 interior shops were going to use a cloth similar as to what came in the truck and not the exact fabric. Prices do vary.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For the rear you can also look at the second gen. 4runner rear seat swap. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-swap-118423/