86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 vs 92 big issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK..Whew!!

OK...Removed the IAC assembly(Realized that about 8 or 9 last night, removed it and routed it direct as on the 92 block and lower plenum(eliminating 3 hoses). you were 100% right there. Routed all the VAC lines...Cranked her up and did not fire...Checked spark again, good to go. Threw some ether in the intake and whamo, fired right up and attempted and idle. Disconnected the Cold air injector fuel line and no fuel when cranking....Main fuel line to the throttle body, and get very little. Working my way back tonight, to see if I crimped a line or for some reason the fuel filter decided it had had enough, by coincidence.. I'll prob disc the fuel line off the back of the filter to the tank first and make sure the fuel pump is operating. Got too late last night to continue on so I had beers instead. Thanks....Will let you know later
Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Crimped

Yep..Somehow, overnbent a line and she is purring like a kitty now...Fired right up... LUCKILY.."ACQUIRED" A Few EXTRA lines as I was pulling the new motor myself. Had plenty of crush gaskets, lines and banjo fittings. Now...I'm getting a flickering Oil Light, With GOOD oil pressure and a Hesitation at about half throttle...I figure the light is my own ˟˟˟˟ty workmanship, but the hesitation seems weird, idles and runs like a champ, but juts stutters a little about mid on the throttle...MASH it to the floor and goes away quickly with a good response. I'm gonnas take a pic of all the line routing and see if you can see any wrong-doings tomorrow. Meanwhile..Thanks a bunch!!

Bob
Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey.....alright! Progress!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Good to go

Everything is good to go, except for the small leaks and stuff like that, that come with the territory of a motor change. Still has the hesitation at half throttle with a hissing sound (According to the daughter), have to assume a vac line leak. Oil pressure sender is different on the 86, so have "Manufacture" a connector to stop the flickering light. Speedo stopped working all of a sudden and I had a busted wire up by the tranny, all GTG. Thanks for all your help, Matt... Greatly appreciate you walking me through...The uh..."New" stuff!!

BTW....Have some 86 top side and Manual Tranny stuff for sale if you know anybody Even and A/C compressor and brackets!!...Pics Posted here!! Thanks Again

Bob
Attached Images    
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Well, I don't see how I helped you much. You seemed to do alright mostly by yourself.
Nevertheless, you're welcome.

That hesitation at half throttle....is it there everytime, ie....not intermittent?
If so, that may be a deadspot on the throttle angle circuit for the TPS. Hook an ohm meter up on the 20k setting and to the VTA and E2 terminals. Slowly pivot the throttle all the way open and see if the meter falls out anywhere. It should steadily climb in resistance until midway of the throttle travel and then begin to drop off towards WOT.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf

As for the hissing, hell....I don't know. Could be vaccuum loss, but hard to say with sounds not being there to hear it.

Lastly, if you'd really like those parts to sell, you should post them up in the YT marketplace. Chances are no one will ever know you have them once this thread starts receeding into the realm of old posts.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 PM

Cool...

Yea...I drove it a few times first and got a little hesitation here and there, but it did not seem to be all the time....I'm gonna drive it to work tomorrow and see what the gremlins are that she's talking about. Tell you what though....You mash her down she SPLITS, this thing moves pretty well, even with the 32's on it. I think I found a cherry motor. Jasper engines is from around where I grew up, I hear that their crate motors are MONEY, literally!! Expensive, but real good. Everything is upgraded from factory parts and it seems to be a true statement, this dude is a runnin machine!
Got a smal oil leak from the front of the oil pan, torqued the front 4 or 5 bolts while it was warm and we'll see if it stops...If not....Back to the parts store we go for an oil pan gasket....She has a SMALL water leak, but I cannot see where it is coming from...It is THAT small. Overall she's back on the road and OUTTA MY RIG....Tundras are not built for kids!!! LOL...
Will see is I can find the "Not so sweet" spot in the throttle....Good thing is...I have another one(TPS). Yep will check out the YT marketplace. Anything YOU need??

Bob

Last edited by navman93; 08-21-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Not at the moment, Bob. But, thanks for asking. I rebuilt my 22re a couple of years ago due to a timing chain failure bending six valves. So, it's got a bunch of new parts on it and going strong.

So, what do you mean "upgraded from stock"? Is there a special grind on the cam? Oversized valves? Usually 32's will take the zip out of a 22re real quick like.

Spray foot powder is useful for tracing down small leaks. Washes off real easy when done. Kinda smells "purty" when burning, too....
Old 08-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Jasper UPGRADED parts

What I mean...According to the email I received back for Jasper(They are all serialized), CAM is performance, and it is bored.010. Also, basically, everything that SUCKED stock, like poor internal parts on the water pump are aftermerket. Not a RACETRUCK by any means, but does not run like a 22re on the road...Feels more like a 3.0 when it is brand new...Notice...I said barnad new...LOL.
If you need any EXTRAs, I probably have it, I will ship it to you...My treat for all your help, just let me know!! I'm pulling the water pump, oil pump, etc to make the old shortblock barebones...so.....Pistons and cylinder walls look REAL good, surprised me with 212k.
I'm attaching a picture of the jet I work on in the Navy, you seem the type of dude that would enjoy stuff like that!! I am the guy on the left in the group Pic....My Ship USS George Bush and the Jet EA-18G. ENJOY!!!!

Bob
Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Cruise 1 068.bmp (25.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Not per se, but my dad was in for 20yrs. His overseas duty was on the Eisenhower. So, we were back and forth between Millington and VA Beach. He wrenched on the jets for a long time until he went into technical electronics specifically. Most of my youth I spent in Millington, though, where I graduated high school. So, I was around jets a lot, then. Not so much now being 39 and out in the woods...lol!
But, I have a couple of Toyotas and a Subaru. Technical enough for me. Not like my dad who was correcting textbooks in calculus!!

Anyway, that's a sharp jet! I can't say I miss "the Navy life", but...man... the jets and ships sure were fascinating. You know, it felt really weird the first time I ever stepped on a ship. And, then getting back on land. Odd, odd, odd.......and, yet, pretty neat. It was like the ground was pushing up into my feet. Of course, you're probably quite used to that.

I had a feeling that's what you meant by upgrades. I bet it is nice, man! I may go that route if I ever need an entirely new motor. I pulled mine apart at a little over 200k and, like you, was surprised to see the cylinder and pistons were in such good shape. That's the quality Toyota is known for and made the 22r/e series famous. Hell....even the cam and all bearings were in very good shape. Were it not for the fact I had to replace the rings due to blow by, I'd have just left the bottom end alone. But, I went ahead put some new bearings in to tighten tolerances up a bit more.

So, I can't really think of anything I need, Bob. I've thought about reinstating the EGR system as the coupling threads stripped out a long time ago and I've never bothered to spend the money on replacing it. There's no emissions testing in Arkansas, so it wasn't a big deal. Alas, I'm not sure if I even have the modulator or switching valve anymore. I'd have to look. Tell you what, if you have an EGR, let me look and see if I have the other parts and I'll get back with you. Okay? You're being awfully generous.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Generous??

I'm from Indiana originally..>Farm Town. I miss how helpful people are in about every aspect of life. Now being in Washington since 1993, I just struggle to see it ANYWHERE in any facet of life. Scared to death if somebody stops on the road for you. Just the other day, I guy and wife/Girlfriend stuck on the side of the road in a late 80's 2wd toy...Cut out and died on him going down the road, but the WHOLE time I was helping him, he was on the defense, scared that I might be jacking him. Coil wire popped off...HE WAS CALLING A TOW TRUCK when I pulled up...For a COIL WIRE, but yet he was grateful, but still kinda worried about...This is not right. However long-winded that was, just an example of WH, when folks help me I AM GRATEFUL AND more than willing to help in any way I can!! BTW...Been Navy for 18 years and am a Chief...I am also switching my electrical rating to technology...BIO MED for after retirement.
Let me know on the EGR and shoot me a part number, so I send the right one.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails 86 vs 92 big issues-dscf0709.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by navman93; 08-28-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Egr

This the one you need??
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by navman93
This the one you need??
Yep...that'll be the part!

Sorry I hadn't replied sooner. Right now I'm only able to access YT from the computer at work on the weekends.

I've got all the other parts for the EGR system. So, whenever you ready to ship, shoot me a PM and we'll exchange the necessaries.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by navman93
I'm from Indiana originally..>Farm Town. I miss how helpful people are in about every aspect of life. Now being in Washington since 1993, I just struggle to see it ANYWHERE in any facet of life. Scared to death if somebody stops on the road for you. Just the other day, I guy and wife/Girlfriend stuck on the side of the road in a late 80's 2wd toy...Cut out and died on him going down the road, but the WHOLE time I was helping him, he was on the defense, scared that I might be jacking him. Coil wire popped off...HE WAS CALLING A TOW TRUCK when I pulled up...For a COIL WIRE, but yet he was grateful, but still kinda worried about...This is not right. However long-winded that was, just an example of WH, when folks help me I AM GRATEFUL AND more than willing to help in any way I can!! BTW...Been Navy for 18 years and am a Chief...I am also switching my electrical rating to technology...BIO MED for after retirement.
Let me know on the EGR and shoot me a part number, so I send the right one.

Bob
You sound a lot like me...lol! I do so much of everything for myself by myself (usually can't afford charges) that I'm elated if someone can help. I'll go all out to the limit to return the favor or show some appreciation.

Yeah....it's so odd to me people wouldn't help someone if they can. Even more odd that someone would take advantage of a situation in a malicious way. It really kinda sucks. Not that I don't understand why it's done, but still....it's like they must be from a different planet. Or, I am...one of the two.

To be sure....I'll get the part number asap. Thanks, Bob! As long I'm on and around on YT, I'll help in whatever way I can with whatever you need help with.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:53 AM

EGR Comin atcha!!

MAtthew,

Same here was out campin for the weekend and brought the daughter's little Yota (I call it little because of my Tundra..LOL). Did a little "Low-mid" level climbing and got it dirty, but she broke the cardinal rule...NO WASHING BEFORE PICTURES!! She couldn't stand it being dirty, but MAN a black Toy sure looks good with dirt on it!! Good News?? No problems, not even minor...We'll push it harder each time...BTW...Pulled out a Deisel Chevy with my Tundra (Stock Tires). HEHEHEHEHE

Anyway.....PM'Ing (If I can figure it out) you now and we'll get her shipped ASAP. Just gonna ship it snail mail so...You know...See ya next month...LOL.