Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners>Help: IFS diff - swapping longside ADD axle w/non-ADD axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners>Help: IFS diff - swapping longside ADD axle w/non-ADD axle

Okay......... I'm compiling all this information for anyone who may be interested in what I did.

My vehicle: 1987 Toyota pickup 4x4, 5spd tranny, 22R engine, factory 4.10 gears

My donor vehicle: 1992 Toyota 4runner 4x4, auto tranny, V6 engine, factory 4.88 gears

What I did: swap gears from 4Runner to Pickup

No for the how too:
First things first. You need to remove front and rear 3rd member from both vehicles. This is easy. After you remove the 3rd member you can simply bolt the 4runner rear 3rd member right up to you truck without any problems. That's easy an just takes common knowledge to do so.

Now for the front which is exactly why I started this thread. Okay first step. Remove the inspection cover from the pickup. Or whatever your doing this on. (Drain oil first) now that you removed that stick a fairly large flat head screw driver between the driver side axle shaft and pin in the carrier. Peck it with a hammer and this should pop you axle shaft so you can remove it. (Save this axle) now you can unbolt the axle shaft tube. This has 4 bolts holding it on. Once this is unbolted peck it with a hammer and it will fall loose. (Save this shaft) now you can set that 3rd member aside it's no longer needed. (Make sure you save your bolts there needed later for reassembly.

Now grab the other 3rd member containing the ADD setup. First things first. Drain oil. Now same process as before. Remove inspection plate. After its removed unbolt the ADD fork lever cover. It consist of four bolts. Now unbolt the axle tube shaft. This has four bolts as well except these bolts are made like a inverted star torx. I used a 12 point 7/16 wrench to remove those bolts. It worked really good without slipping or stripping the bolt. Now that that's unbolted peck it and it will come loose. Now take your flat head screw driver and do the same process as you did before to remove the axle shaft. When you do this everything should fall out together. ( or at least mine did) now before you can reinstall everything you will need a oil seal to put back into the ADD 3rd member. You can purchase this at Napa or straight from Toyota. The Toyota part number is 90311-35032. Now to install this seal just simply peck it into place with a hammer and large socket. If you don't know how it goes in look at your old non ADD 3RD member.

Now clean everything up and put some gasket maker on your 3rd member were the shaft will be going. Now slide the old shaft back onto the 3rd member and bolt it up with the old bolts that I told you to keep. Now slid the old axle into place. Take a hammer and peck it to insure its all the way back into place. Now apply gasket maker to the inspection cover and bolt it back on. Now your done clean up your mess.

Finished product: a ADD front end with 4.88 gears to replace your old 4.10 gears. Quick and easy swap to obtain great gearing.

Below is some pictures of my 3rd member. This took me about a hour to do with a impact and regular gear wrench tool set. Hope this helps every one.

By the way I done this inside my house. Wife bout killed me when she came home and seen this in the floor. Lol.

GOOOOOOD LUCK
Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Nice work...next time think tarp or plastic...conducive to harmony in relationships...you scattered stuff frigging everywhere
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dropzone
Nice work...next time think tarp or plastic...conducive to harmony in relationships...you scattered stuff frigging everywhere
Lmao. I had a old piece of wood paneling down but I intended to get a lil off of it. I don't have a garage or anything and its like 20degrees out here man. I said heck with it lol. I guess it was worth it. She only b****** for about 5 minutes lol
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
2400 sq ft heated shops rock

:wabbit2: