7mge air flow meter lest see if the slow 6 can take it

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
so what 5vz intake am I looking for? years, makes models, etc
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM

pics??

where the information for this 5vz intake swap? pictures?? links?? anything??

Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A junior member posted something about a highly undocumented 3vz/5vz hybrid...don't get your hopes up.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 AM

i wasnt. i was just seeing what he could come up with. I dont want some crazy unreliable engine. I really enjoy what I have now with the 3vze, but i have to tear off the heads to fix the bad valve, so i might as well play with it a LITTLE bit. What he is talking about sounds stupid expensive and massively unreliable. I really was trying to call him out, for promoting these wild ideas with no pictures or documentation.... Twin cam 3.0 that doesnt use 3.4 heads ??? wtf... so you are going to take a set of 3.0 heads machine space for a 2nd cam and another set of valves???? ya and prius's go 150 mph in a 1/4 mile.....
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM

ur right to get it to twin cams u cut the head for another cam ur think good now!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM

the later 5vz intake is on the same side as the 3vz. look for a prerunner intake. and as far as pics like i said in a earlyer post i have not done it all yet my dads friends 3vz is still kicking so we have not dont what i have posted about.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM

the crossover would be nice to do. and good as long as ur not paying for the gaskit match then thats great and use the new gaskitsnot the old ones for porting them out. do the exhaust ports as well. and the cam upgrade will make u a very happy camper. and when u do the exhaust dont go over 2.5" 2.25" sounds great and u dont lose power.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 AM

and for the record on the twin cam 3vz its called do ur research and look at toyota engines that cam v6 with twin cams theres more then just the 5vz. and if u ever seen a 5vz head ud know it would never bolt on. one must think a little bit and look at maybe a camry that cam with the same 3.0l but twin cam. which is a 3vzfe. but to bolt to the 3vz trans one must use the 3vz block with 3vzfe pistons,heads,intake,exhaustmanifolds. the hardest thing is to find one. (3vzfe) but if u want lagh away ill be sure to post a new thread when she is all done when ever it maybe.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 85celicagthatchback
ill be sure to post a new thread when she is all done when ever it maybe.
Please do! And post a link to it in this thread so we know when it goes up.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 AM

sure.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nvm I missed a page of posts.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 02-06-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM

So Im assuming your going to try and make a 3vze - 3vzfe hybrid motor. Using the heads off a camry mated to the block of the truck motor. along with the intake off a 3.4. Know this many have tried..... Nobody has had success to my knowledge. All for many different reasons. Your not the first person to think of this, cuz believe me I researched it as well. Sounds like some custom machining is involved and electrical issues.. So if your willing to go thru all of that with the time and money that willk be involved.....why not just do a 3.4 swap that has been done a thousand times and been proven reliable?? but its your truck and money do with it as you please.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/e...e-3vzfe-71315/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/3...-needed-37265/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...n-i-do-203343/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...3vz-fe-162128/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...er-tank-77241/

I wish you well... but a 3.4 swap would be quicker and cheaper and more reliable.....
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM

the only hard part is to make the stock 3vz rods full floating like the 3vzfe and ur ready to but together. idont see why anychanges to the wiring needs to be done but ok. will see why the time comes.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by bone collector
Yes i know this is an old thread. I just performed this swap on my 94 3vze ext cab. The short answer to your question suprathepeg is YES. I drilled out the air idle bypass screw, set the cog 6 teeth rich and built an ISR which took the longest time. i plugged in the afm and started the truck. it stumbled a lot at first but i adjusted the air idle bypass screw IN and it ran great. i re-timed the truck played with the idle to get it to be correct. i quick test drive confirmed that this a very good mod for any 3vze owner looker for power. By the time i finished playing with the idle control and timing i had the throttle body idle screw most of the way out as well as the afm idle screw most of the way out. the timing on my truck is set at 15*. As a side note i also have the the supra coil installed and 8 mm wires. As Nashman00 said..THIS IS A MUST DO MOD!! my 3vze is now a hot rod

thanks to Nashman for the write up

i did this, went 6 teeth rich. power is amazing, 4runner does 95pmh easily and can keep going. but smells like unburnt gasoline...i have not drilled out vafm yet. can u post a picture of where u need to drill out please
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM

Did you advance the timing to 15 or 16? If you have the truck idling correctly and it sounds like you have plenty of power, you might be better off not messing with the air chamber screw that is below the part that needs drilled out. I will post a picture when I can. Glad to hear that you like the mod!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:06 AM

i have the timing at around 12 degrees. maybe i should try 15*.
yea power is really good. i mostly take it out to the dunes.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7mge AFM mod for 3vze

I always read this thread (and all 2nd gen 3vze power threads) with great interest.

I spent years experimenting with my 3vze and endlessly reading all of the amazing threads here until I reached what I currently feel was the pinnacle of performance and reliability in my 2nd gen- and it has been incredibly fast, with amazing torque: truly powerful, and literally "old faithful" reliable for 5 years since I last made any adjustments. I am only just beginning to realize how much the 3vze likes to rev and while i used to keep the RPMs under 4k I am now seeing how nice it can be go higher!

In addition to lots of other off-road mods that I continue to love like the TJM T-15, budbuilt armor, oldie-but-goodie Warn X9000, Boyle alternator etc; my 3vze engine mods are Thorley headers, the ISR mod, Colt Cams (AKA Weasey Cams!); and LC Engineering ported throttle body, assisted by a custom exhaust. I tried other air intakes like the K&M, other ignitions and wires like Jacobs (epic fail!) and even a couple of other 3vze AFMs (with different gear cog settings), but find the best for me is sticking with stock wires, cap, plugs, gaps, ignition, and AFM.

I've finally gotten things so dialed in with timing light and have such great performance that I'm reluctant to make big changes like the 7mge AFM mod...but I must admit that I am SUPER curious and SUPER tempted to throw caution to the wind and get one/try to make it work.

For those who have done this;
  • how much time/effort did it take you? Were you able to restore yourself to stock if the ^&&% hit the fan (were you required to alter your current AFM in any way?) Where did you buy your 7mge AFM and how much was it? What other modifications did you make (could I use my current ISR mod for example?) Thanks in advance for any help! taiko
Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 AM

What is your hot and cold idle at?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 AM

It took me about 3 hours to do this mod. That included lunch. The longest part was building the ISR pipe. This is completely reversible. In the immortal words of Nike.... JUST DO IT!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
I always read this thread (and all 2nd gen 3vze power threads) with great interest.

I spent years experimenting with my 3vze and endlessly reading all of the amazing threads here until I reached what I currently feel was the pinnacle of performance and reliability in my 2nd gen- and it has been incredibly fast, with amazing torque: truly powerful, and literally "old faithful" reliable for 5 years since I last made any adjustments. I am only just beginning to realize how much the 3vze likes to rev and while i used to keep the RPMs under 4k I am now seeing how nice it can be go higher!

In addition to lots of other off-road mods that I continue to love like the TJM T-15, budbuilt armor, oldie-but-goodie Warn X9000, Boyle alternator etc; my 3vze engine mods are Thorley headers, the ISR mod, Colt Cams (AKA Weasey Cams!); and LC Engineering ported throttle body, assisted by a custom exhaust. I tried other air intakes like the K&M, other ignitions and wires like Jacobs (epic fail!) and even a couple of other 3vze AFMs (with different gear cog settings), but find the best for me is sticking with stock wires, cap, plugs, gaps, ignition, and AFM.

I've finally gotten things so dialed in with timing light and have such great performance that I'm reluctant to make big changes like the 7mge AFM mod...but I must admit that I am SUPER curious and SUPER tempted to throw caution to the wind and get one/try to make it work.

For those who have done this;
  • how much time/effort did it take you? Were you able to restore yourself to stock if the ^&&% hit the fan (were you required to alter your current AFM in any way?) Where did you buy your 7mge AFM and how much was it? What other modifications did you make (could I use my current ISR mod for example?) Thanks in advance for any help! taiko
if u have the isr mod, all u need to buy is a AFM, got mine off a 90 v6 camry
. i got mine for 20 dollars. takes about 10 minutes to swap it. all u do is tune it. 6 clicks richer. it will have more torque and rev up faster...example..i was coming home from my moms house this past sunday. had a slow s-10 infront of me on a 2way road...doing about 40mph 5th gear...dropped it into 4th floored it, passed the truck. took to 6k shifted it to 5th. still floored. mph kept climbing let off at 90 mph cuz road was not smooth and my butt started bitting on the seat.. i recomend it. 20-30 dollars and about 30 minutes is all u will spend. if u dont like it u can easily put in the stock afm

Quick Reply: 7mge air flow meter lest see if the slow 6 can take it