86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE valve check/adjust

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZE valve check/adjust

I tried posting this a few days ago, but, looks like it didn't go through.

I have a '90 Toyota Odyssey motorhome. It has the 3.slow V-6 with auto and 120K on the clock.

120K might not be much on a regular pickup, but this is a pickup with a house on it's back for everyone of those miles, so, it's probably comparable to a regular pickup with quite a few more miles.

I haven't registered it yet. I drove it maybe 5 miles when I test drove it and it seemed to run reasonably well. The only obvious issue was what sounds like an exhaust manifold leak somewhere on the driver's side as best i can tell.

I did a compression test using a loan a tool tester from Autozone. The numbers looked a little weak all around, with 2 cylinders appearing very weak. Forget the numbers, exactly as it was last summer when I did it, but, they were below 100 on the worst ones.

I have been doing some reading on this engine, particularly when used in an RV and have found that burnt exhast valves are quite common, considering the heavy load put on it, combined with lack of valve clearance maintenance.

I have also read that adjust tight valves may restore compression assuming it hasn't been run that way long enough to burn the valves.

So, looks like it's time for a valve check/adjust.

I have searched the forum and found quite a few mentions of it, but, not an actual write up on the procedure including what to remove/not remove for a toyota noob mechanic such as myself.

is it that advantageous to do it hot? i'm really not the quickest mechanic in the world and would feel better taking my time and not worrying about whether or not i got it done while everything was hot enough. beside, working on a hot engine sucks.

if it turns out that a few valves are toast, what sort of bill am i looking at for machine work? i am somewhat comfortable with pulling the heads, but, not messing with the head internals themselves. better to let someone who has a clue handle that part.

so, if there is such a thread on this forum, i'd appreciate a link.

thanks

pete