86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze timing belt help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze timing belt help

I am installing a long block in my wife's 95 4runner and I am a little confused. I am currently installing the timing belt. I put everything on as per the FSM. Crank at TDC, both cam pully marks at 12 o'clock. I set the t-belt installation marks to match the mark on the bottom of the crank, and the two 12 o'clock marks on the cam. I installed the tentionor and put the crank pully on. I then turned the motor over 2 rev to check the timing as per the FSM. After doing this, the top two cam marks are back at 12 o'clock, crank at TDC. However, the installation marks on the belt are no longer matching the cam pully marks.
Should they?

Thanks

ccannon222
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your crank pulley. I've had several pulleys seperate. The rubber portion of the balancer seperates from the pulley and the timing mark moves on the crank pulley making your timing off
Old 01-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ccannon222
I am installing a long block in my wife's 95 4runner and I am a little confused. I am currently installing the timing belt. I put everything on as per the FSM. Crank at TDC, both cam pully marks at 12 o'clock. I set the t-belt installation marks to match the mark on the bottom of the crank, and the two 12 o'clock marks on the cam. I installed the tentionor and put the crank pully on. I then turned the motor over 2 rev to check the timing as per the FSM. After doing this, the top two cam marks are back at 12 o'clock, crank at TDC. However, the installation marks on the belt are no longer matching the cam pully marks.
Should they?

Thanks

ccannon222
No, the marks on the belt are only for initial setup, they won't match after turning the 2 revolutions. As long as the marks on the cam and crank pulleys are in the right spots you're good to go.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the help. My crank pulley if good. I double checked the marks on the timing gear on the crank and it is at TDC.
I didn't think that the installation marks would stay on the pulley marks but I wanted to make sure.
I didn't want to mess up my wife's new motor.

ccannon222
Old 01-12-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eric-the-red
No, the marks on the belt are only for initial setup, they won't match after turning the 2 revolutions. As long as the marks on the cam and crank pulleys are in the right spots you're good to go.
x2. They are just for initial installation. If you have time to kill and you keep rotating the engine for a while, the lines will eventually line up properly again. It takes quite a few revolutions, though.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:59 PM

That messed with me when I was putting mine back together as well. The marks move one tooth to the left after every revolution as the others have said.

Jason
Old 01-13-2008, 03:03 AM
"pete f passed away quietly in his sleep on July 13, 2008

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
I had to tear down my 3.0 last week because I left the wrench on crankcase bolt after a distributor change and on testing for spark the wrench caught in the fan and backed the bolt out of the crankcase. The mechanic that did my timing belt did not install it with the marks on the new belt . At first I didn't see the marks so I used a marker and made my own. Then I saw the marks and they were way off. When I was checking the belt for wear I turned the crank two full revolutions and I was back to 0*btdc the marks lined up on the pulleys perfect I had to make two more revolutions and my marks I made with the markers had moved four grooves each . I put it all back together and now the truck is running great after I chased down some gremlins.https://www.yotatech.com/3-0-ecm-89-pick-up-93-fsm-131904/
The cam pictures are on the 2nd page.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:05 AM

X3, cam pulley marks are just for initial set up. You're doing good.