Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

33's Rubbing on Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
and yeah, my truck decreases in safety as soon as I start it every day
No, not when start it, just when you get behind the wheel, and put it in gear.....
Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 AM

it's wierd really, once you take the sway bar off...

at first, you don't really notice a difference...

then as time goes by, you find it a little more scary to take turns the same way you use to, so you tend to slow waaaay down...

if you drive without it for about a month or two, then bolt it back on, it's like driving a completely different vehicle...

I reinstalled mine, and I see no reason for me to take it off again...

I'll give up the marginal increase in flex for a safe ride

BTW, I'm in a PU; a lot less top heavy than a Runner, and I noticed a good bit of body roll... just FYI

I think that some wheel spacers would be a good idea though. How far do your tires stick out in refference to the body right now? If at all?

If you're only getting rub right at full lock, you wouldn't need much of a spacer; maybe 1/2"

I took it off last night and was able to drive my daily route which is about 30min. of driving everyday too. I get up the 70mph tops usually.

I didn't notice a difference really when I was driving 70 down the highway, I noticed it more when I would hit a bump or pot hole in the road. It isn't that bad without the front sway bar so far I think, but it's only been a day.

I might get the spacers if I really start to notice that it isn't safe to drive, and time will tell. As for my tires, they look like they are pretty much even in the wheel well. They could definitely be spaced out 1 inch. I was thinking about getting a one incher spacer. And yeah it only rubs really at full lock turning either way.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
The Jeep must have had other serious problems or badly blown shocks because a vehicle won't just start swaying on it's own just because it has no sway bars. My 4Runner drives down the highway just fine without them and so did my 99 Grand Cherokee.

If I had to swerve quickly at a high speed I might be more likely to roll over, but putting a lift, bigger tires, a roof rack, etc...etc will also make you more likely to roll during the same circumstances.
It was a late 80's Jeep Cherokee. He took out the rear sway bar because it was rubbing on his 30 inch tires (It came stock with 28's I believe).

When we were driving up highway 80 to the sierras to go snowboarding in the rain we would sway side by side probably every 10 - 15min. There was wind too that was causing the swaying. And other than that if he would hit a little bump or where the highway was repaved and there is a lip on the road it would cause his jeep to sway back and forth. We were going about 65 - 70mph. But other than that on the road in stop and go traffic you won't notice it at all really. And FYI he had a brand new lift and shocks on his jeep when the sway bar was taken out.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 AM

lol a safe ride. I see guys with a 3" body lift, 3" bracket drop, 1.5" BJ lift, cranked torsions, 37" tires....and stock brakes and steering. No sway bar is going to save you from that accident lol.

If you lifted your truck you have decreased the safety of your ride. If you have increased the tire size you have decreased the safety of your ride.

My 4Runner is mostly for off-road. It's not my daily transportation and it's not what I drive to work so sway bars really don't matter to me.
I understand your reasoning, but if the increased tire size will cause the ride to decrease in safety and a lift will decrease safety... wouldn't it make sense that a Honda or Toyota Camry would be safer because it's closer to the ground and has smaller tires?

That statement isn't always true. Just because a Honda has smaller tires and is lower to the ground doesn't increase safety in an accident. Those things will get crushed.. and if you think about it, if you're rear ended in a lifted truck with big tires they're gunna be hitting tires or tires/rear bumper which does nothing to your ride and in a Honda you can get crushed.

So that isn't always true. I much rather be in a lifted 4Runner with 37's and get into an accident than in a tiny civic.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Vehicle's saftey goes kaput when my eyes are layed upon them...

Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOD
I understand your reasoning, but if the increased tire size will cause the ride to decrease in safety and a lift will decrease safety... wouldn't it make sense that a Honda or Toyota Camry would be safer because it's closer to the ground and has smaller tires?

That statement isn't always true. Just because a Honda has smaller tires and is lower to the ground doesn't increase safety in an accident. Those things will get crushed.. and if you think about it, if you're rear ended in a lifted truck with big tires they're gunna be hitting tires or tires/rear bumper which does nothing to your ride and in a Honda you can get crushed.

So that isn't always true. I much rather be in a lifted 4Runner with 37's and get into an accident than in a tiny civic.
it's not really the fact the larger tires and a higher stance makes the vehicle unsafe

larger tires are harder to stop, putting more stress on the brakes, increasing you stopping distance, hence the decrease in safety

a higher stance obviously raises your center of gravity, increasing your chance of possible roll-over, so there's another decrease in safety

not to mention that when a vehicle is lifted, it put more stress on the steering components amoung other things, which if fail will leaving you barelling off the highway... obviously, a decrease in safety there too...

Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 PM

it's not really the fact the larger tires and a higher stance makes the vehicle unsafe

larger tires are harder to stop, putting more stress on the brakes, increasing you stopping distance, hence the decrease in safety

a higher stance obviously raises your center of gravity, increasing your chance of possible roll-over, so there's another decrease in safety

not to mention that when a vehicle is lifted, it put more stress on the steering components amoung other things, which if fail will leaving you barelling off the highway... obviously, a decrease in safety there too...

I agree.

Most Honda Civics don't come from the factory with sway bars so how about them apples?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:36 PM

Put bigger tires and a lift on a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry and yes, it you will have DECREASED the safety of that vehicle.

I'm not saying "X" car is safer than "Y" car, but if you put a lift and large tires on "X" or "Y" car you will decrease that vehicles safety in one way or another.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Put bigger tires and a lift on a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry and yes, it you will have DECREASED the safety of that vehicle.

I'm not saying "X" car is safer than "Y" car, but if you put a lift and large tires on "X" or "Y" car you will decrease that vehicles safety in one way or another.
True that. I still would take a 4Runner over a Civic. And I would take a lifted 4Runner on 37s over a stock 4Runner as for safety goes.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:58 PM

True that. I still would take a 4Runner over a Civic. And I would take a lifted 4Runner on 37s over a stock 4Runner as for safety goes.

Same here. I've had plenty of Honda Civics. They don't off-road very well.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:48 PM

it's wierd really, once you take the sway bar off...

at first, you don't really notice a difference...

then as time goes by, you find it a little more scary to take turns the same way you use to, so you tend to slow waaaay down...

if you drive without it for about a month or two, then bolt it back on, it's like driving a completely different vehicle...

I reinstalled mine, and I see no reason for me to take it off again...

I'll give up the marginal increase in flex for a safe ride

BTW, I'm in a PU; a lot less top heavy than a Runner, and I noticed a good bit of body roll... just FYI

I think that some wheel spacers would be a good idea though. How far do your tires stick out in refference to the body right now? If at all?

If you're only getting rub right at full lock, you wouldn't need much of a spacer; maybe 1/2"

yeah i wouldnt remove the sway bar on a ifs yota either. it leans quite a bit with a front sway bar in place. i bet you will get like half an inch more flex. removing a sway bar in a solid axle vehicle makes a huge difference in flex. i did that to my ram and got tons of flex in the front. i drove normally and didnt feel a diff except on the hwy that it swayed a tiny bit more, less than the yota with a sway bar. it got scary when i drifted around sharp corners. probably get nice flex in the rear of a runner with no rear sway bar

Last edited by gary96360; 03-26-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by gary96360
yeah i wouldnt remove the sway bar on a ifs yota either. it leans quite a bit with a front sway bar in place.
actually the opposite; IFS with no sway bar will lean LESS than a solid axle with no sway bar, just due to the fact that on IFS, when one side compresses it doesn't push the other side to droop a little; the suspention is completely separate (or inderpedent if you will ) from each other on either side, therefor a little more stability

but still, it leans too much for my liking