Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3.0 ecm 89pick-up/93 fsm

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 AM
"pete f passed away quietly in his sleep on July 13, 2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 ecm 89pick-up/93 fsm

I am trying to test my ecm. The 93 fsm shows three connnecter that total 64 slots . My 89 p/u has 62 slots .I want to test to see if there is power to the ecm but I'm hesitant due to different number of slots. Help
Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pete f
I am trying to test my ecm. The 93 fsm shows three connnecter that total 64 slots . My 89 p/u has 62 slots .I want to test to see if there is power to the ecm but I'm hesitant due to different number of slots. Help
Oooo....sorry, Pete. I didn't think of that being a factor on your year of vehicle. Maybe there will be something closer to an '89 on 4x4wire. I'll look.

Okay, apparently if you go to this link and pm "Abnormaltoy" he has the FSM for your vehicle. This memo is noted in the first post by kewelynx and signified by "Anormaltoy" in bold black.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=21&fpart=1

Apologies for this complication. I'm sure you'd like to be done with this matter. I'll do what I can.

Last edited by thook; 12-15-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:33 AM

Alright, I've PM'd the fellow. Now, I just have to wait to hear back.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Alright, I've PM'd the fellow. Now, I just have to wait to hear back.
So did I . I pm'd you .
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
the 89 FSM is already located in a sticky at the top of this forum:

89 trucks: http://www.brian894x4.com/Scannedmanual.html
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM

Schnit...how did I miss that? Word to the Rabbit....TN, that is.

(PM'd you back, Pete)
Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
the 89 FSM is already located in a sticky at the top of this forum:

89 trucks: http://www.brian894x4.com/Scannedmanual.html
Back up a second....that's for a '90, which I'm pretty sure is different than the previous years. Besides, if you'll pardon my bluntness , there's not squat on those pages. Unless I missed something, it's just a few selected blow-outs of the motor and drivetrain.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Back up a second....that's for a '90, which I'm pretty sure is different than the previous years. Besides, if you'll pardon my bluntness , there's not squat on those pages. Unless I missed something, it's just a few selected blow-outs of the motor and drivetrain.
That's what I got out of it. I got a pm to tnrabbit. He's the best . He really helped me alot when I first came to yotatech early this year.I had some clutch woes .Yotatech helped alot.I'll get through this I just gotta be patient.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Yah mon, he's a good guy. He helped me out, also, when I first joined here. Geez'm'peez....that was an ordeal! And a 4pg thread! Yep....patience.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:23 PM

I still think the plug is flakey . I think the prongs on the igniter and coil on the black/white wire are bad . I have continuity only on one side . I posted it in my other thread. I call the stealer and the parts guy said I would have to buy a new harness . I priced the ECM @ over $1000. ouch .Reman @ parts store under $400.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

The link got screwed up somehow, and you're right, there isn't SQUAT on those pages....damn! My bad. Did you find an '89 FSM anywhere else yet?

Sorry to have you on a wild goose chase in the cold, Pete....I'm at a loss here. I've exhausted my ideas at this point. That was a good call on the EFI fuse, Matthew! That will DEFINITELY kill an engine dead

Old 12-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Here's a thought, Pete. If the ECM was shot, you wouldn't get any codes, but you did, right? So the problem has to be elsewhere. What exactly is wrong with the plug prongs? Got pics?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 PM

I still think the plug is flakey . I think the prongs on the igniter and coil on the black/white wire are bad . I have continuity only on one side . I posted it in my other thread. I call the stealer and the parts guy said I would have to buy a new harness . I priced the ECM @ over $1000. ouch .Reman @ parts store under $400.
I've been able to repair harnesses before. Rather, I've repaired the connectors from parts at Radio Shack provided the wires were intact. I've found female terminals that would fit into the plastic connector on my TPS....as an example. It worked for a while until I got my hands on actual factory connector from the local dealership. I've made friends with a guy in the parts department that offered to salvage a connector from the back/shop. They will often have a box of spare stuff around for when they may need something immediately and can't wait for a shipment/delivery.

FORGET!!!!!! going to the dealer for an ECM. Like I said, YT marketplace.

The prongs on the coil and igniter are bad? I thought you had a new coil? I will obviously have to refresh my memory with the other thread. I'm losing track over the span of days, here. Ha! And I have a great memory, too....

(EDIT: Let me understand you clearly, do you mean the prongs on the connectors or the prongs actually on the two parts?)

Last edited by thook; 12-10-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 PM

The prongs on the plugs are bad.Only one side of each plug. The prongs on the black/white wire it comes out of the Igniter and goes to the coil. when I picked up the igniter @ the plug was in it . but the guy took it out. I thought of jumping it from prong to prong and then pushing the plug over it but got cold feet. btw Gary I had a cel and codes before the new distributor but i pulled the fuse to clear the codes and that was the last time I saw the cel. The black red wire passed tap light test .I have power to both coil and igniter.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Update: Well that was 4 days ago this is what I've done so far and I need some input maybe there is something I missed.I had no spark so
1. Changed wires, distributor cap and rotor. no spark. I changed the coil

2.Air-gap pick-up coil and came out with copper wire. I got codes 12 and 51 So I put in a new distributor(code 12) and haven't dealt with the code 51 yet

3. No spark no CEL after new Distributor.

4.Bought a igniter at the junk yard. no spark. not sure about that one or even if old one was bad.

5. I change efi relay in fuse box on passenger fender and checked am1 and am2 for continuity okay. All fuses on driver side kick plate fuse box okay

6. I pulled efi main circuit relay above the ecm. I replaced it after failing continuity test #2 It had continuity where it shouldn't .
So now I'm up to the ecm and plan on ordering one in the a.m. I going to try and trace power from efi relay that lays right above ECM to try and find batt#1 to see if I have voltage going in. Any input as to what I have missed. I still have no spark no cel.

Last edited by pete f; 12-14-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:17 AM

Update: Well that was 4 days ago this is what I've done so far and I need some input maybe there is something I missed.I had no spark so
1. Changed wires, distributor cap and rotor. no spark. I changed the coil

2.Air-gap pick-up coil and came out with copper wire. I got codes 12 and 51 So I put in a new distributor(code 12) and haven't dealt with the code 51 yet

3. No spark no CEL after new Distributor.

4.Bought a igniter at the junk yard. no spark. not sure about that one or even if old one was bad.

5. I change efi relay in fuse box on passenger fender and checked am1 and am2 for continuity okay. All fuses on driver side kick plate fuse box okay

6. I pulled efi main circuit relay above the ecm. I replaced it after failing continuity test #2 It had continuity where it shouldn't .
So now I'm up to the ecm and plan on ordering one in the a.m. I going to try and trace power from efi relay that lays right above ECM to try and find batt#1 to see if I have voltage going in. Any input as to what I have missed. I still have no spark no cel.
UGHHHHHH!!!! What "EFI main circuit relay above the ECM"? There isn't one there. That's probably you're fuel pump relay, Pete. AKA, "opening circuit relay".

Last edited by thook; 12-15-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:31 PM

UGHHHHHH!!!! What "EFI main circuit relay above the ECM"? There isn't one there. That's probably you're fuel pump relay, Pete. AKA, "opening circuit relay".
The parts guy @ dealer said it was Efi Main relay. I'll take your word for it . Well I got a new one of those anyway. My wife said I'll have a brand new truck by the time I'm done. I ordered a new Ecm this morning and surrendered the old one for the core .I'll have it on tuesday afternoon.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM

Pete, for whatever reason (I think the site is having problems) I can't send PM's. It keeps trying to load, but won't and times out on me. So, for now I'll have to reply in one of your threads.....this one.

You put the new ECM and nothing? Does the CEL light up when you turn the key on, atleast?

The airflow meter will not keep you from getting spark. The truck will even start and (eventually) run with the meter disconnected, although not as well. The meter isn't the problem, unless your not getting fuel.

Is there any way for you to get a couple of pics? It would help if I could see the design of your system. I believe it should be practically the same as my '92 4rnr as far as where things are located; like the fuse box under the hood, the ECM and surrounding relay and connectors, distributor, coil, igniter, etc. But, if I could get a visual that would help me a bit.

Run the test you pm'd me about and post back.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Pete, for whatever reason (I think the site is having problems) I can't send PM's. It keeps trying to load, but won't and times out on me. So, for now I'll have to reply in one of your threads.....this one.

You put the new ECM and nothing? Does the CEL light up when you turn the key on, atleast?

The airflow meter will not keep you from getting spark. The truck will even start and (eventually) run with the meter disconnected, although not as well. The meter isn't the problem, unless your not getting fuel.

Is there any way for you to get a couple of pics? It would help if I could see the design of your system. I believe it should be practically the same as my '92 4rnr as far as where things are located; like the fuse box under the hood, the ECM and surrounding relay and connectors, distributor, coil, igniter, etc. 5.But, if I could get a visual that would help me a bit.

Run the test you pm'd me about and post back.
I pm'ed you with a list but I repeat it here.I can't get pic's up on here.I'm trying to find a usb plug for my phone. Vaf is the same as yours today I took it all apart and cleaned it with mass airflow sensor cleaner. The removal was easy as per 93 fsm a two hr job from start to finish.I always go slow and take time I seem to break things or have spare parts left over if I rush. This is what I have done so far and I still have no spark or CEL.
1. New ECM
2. New wires
3. New distributor
4. new EFI relay, Circuit opening relay.
5. Cleaned and tested Vaf it tested good
6. Cleaned and tested TPS tested Good
7. Tested all fuses in both fuse boxes all tested good
8. New coil tested ok
9. Igniter used (junk yard)
I tested the TPS because I had a code 14 and 51 just before I bought the new distributor . That's when I lost my CEL. I have been searching the threads for a good igniter test but can't seem to find one. What have I missed?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 PM

I still can't do PM's. Tried again. But, this is what I wrote:

Okay......that points directly to your problem. No CEL. No codes. For some reason your ECM is not functioning when you turn the key on. I would suspect the ignition switch, Pete. That seems to be the only thing left. If it was the igniter being the problem, you would still get a CEL and codes....just no spark. Are you following?

Quick Reply: 3.0 ecm 89pick-up/93 fsm