Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2wd 55mph rear vibration in intervals?!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed a slight momentary pulling to one side when driving above 40 or so when suddenly giving the gas? I have a Detroit locker in the rear and I was wondering if it's locking/unlocking while at speed and possibly doing that.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by str8_6
i checked the shocks already and it still has alot of resistance. ujoints all checked out good. no play at all.

i'm going to say its the right rear tire/rim for sure. i notice that its not even really the left rear..because its solid axle i think it just looks like the left rear also..but i feel my right ass cheek vibrating more then anything.

the wheel weights are hammered on the inside lip with sticky center weights.

thanks for all the input guys and giving me your experiences. much appreciated.
I'm not going to say it'll help, but there are a few permanent balancing systems out. They bolt to the hub or are injected inside the tire and respond to vibrations accordingly. Maybe google em?

*edit- have a read over here: http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=186499

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed a slight momentary pulling to one side when driving above 40 or so when suddenly giving the gas? I have a Detroit locker in the rear and I was wondering if it's locking/unlocking while at speed and possibly doing that.
A pull like that under acceleration would seem to me to be something loose or worn in the suspension like a control arm or leaf spring bushing.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-19-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:36 AM

All the suspension parts are new. I just checked and everything is tight. I'm kinda stumped on this. It became noticeable after I raised the air pressure in the tires. I wonder if one tire is slightly larger than the other now.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
All the suspension parts are new. I just checked and everything is tight. I'm kinda stumped on this. It became noticeable after I raised the air pressure in the tires. I wonder if one tire is slightly larger than the other now.
The diffential should accomodate slightly different circumferences, but maybe the locker is causing the effect. One thing you may try is to exchange the wheels between sides and see if the pull direction changes with the tires.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of tires do you have? alot of radials will develop uneven wear patterns and cause what is referred to as "radial pull". lockers do not push vehicles like that, its something in the front end. how is all of your steering components? jack the front end up and check everything out.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:58 PM

The entire suspension is new. Bushings, springs, shocks, joints, everything. It doesn't do it on straight roads, but if the road has a bend in it, then you notice it. That would actually make sense since one wheel is traveling a bit faster than the other which would cause the locker to lock.

The tires are WalMart specials that came with the vehicle when I bought it. Yes, they are prolly crap.