Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

24 valve heads for a 3vze and 80 extra Miles per tank?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24 valve heads for a 3vze and 80 extra Miles per tank?!

I was at the juckyard a few days ago to get the Vane airflow sensor off a I-6 Supra engine for my 3vze, since they are much bigger. I had an epiphany and thought of the Idea of putting a v-6 camary 24 Valve heads on the 3vze. does anyone have any Ideas on this For some more juice under the hood? what I would really like are some detailed pics of The head from both cars from all angles, as well as bolt patterns, and maybe the ci of the combustion chambers, to see if this is even remotly possible.

so anyway, I ended up getting a airflow sensor off a mazda MPV minivan. It was bigger, had the same connection, so It was a plug and play operation. ran great without the MIL. It had a noticable increase in power, as well as a deeper sound. I adjusted the Retrostate inside so the engine is running leaner. With the extra air flowing in and a leaner engine, I am getting roughly 80 extra miles per tank, with the same power.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hondacrusher
I was at the juckyard a few days ago to get the Vane airflow sensor off a I-6 Supra engine for my 3vze, since they are much bigger. I had an epiphany and thought of the Idea of putting a v-6 camary 24 Valve heads on the 3vze. does anyone have any Ideas on this For some more juice under the hood? what I would really like are some detailed pics of The head from both cars from all angles, as well as bolt patterns, and maybe the ci of the combustion chambers, to see if this is even remotly possible.

so anyway, I ended up getting a airflow sensor off a mazda MPV minivan. It was bigger, had the same connection, so It was a plug and play operation. ran great without the MIL. It had a noticable increase in power, as well as a deeper sound. I adjusted the Retrostate inside so the engine is running leaner. With the extra air flowing in and a leaner engine, I am getting roughly 80 extra miles per tank, with the same power.
80 miles per tank? Dude, you are very lucky if that's true, because you basically increased your range by about 40%, that's nuts!

The head issue has been covered before I believe, try and search. I might be wrong, but I am PRETTY sure I heard some discussion about it before.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:04 PM

Are you sure you are not going to be running too lean and hurt your engine? I do remember guy with a Matrix who threw a S/C on there and blew his motor up because he was running lean.

If not, that is a great mod and everyone/anyone with a 3.0 will be buying a MPV sensor now... What year or model was it off of?

Last edited by Rivalred; 01-25-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

...and your not getting any pinging?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:32 PM

alright I lied, Ive only gotten to the 1/2 tank mark at about 190 miles. befor it would be at 160. My gas guage runs down faster after 1/2 tank. last half is usually around 100. I guess I could get about 120 out of the last half of this tank. 310-210= 50 extra miles per tank. I didnt do the math until now. Ive got no pinging. It was off of a late 80's, early 90's Mazda MPV, It looks exactly like the stock toyota
Old 01-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hondacrusher
alright I lied, Ive only gotten to the 1/2 tank mark at about 190 miles. befor it would be at 160. My gas guage runs down faster after 1/2 tank. last half is usually around 100. I guess I could get about 120 out of the last half of this tank. 310-210= 50 extra miles per tank. I didnt do the math until now. Ive got no pinging. It was off of a late 80's, early 90's Mazda MPV, It looks exactly like the stock toyota
Tap the gas gauge

Let us know what happens by the end, I am gonna put my money on that 50 number going down a bit more.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 PM

Cool

Or.... You could have leaned out the stock airflow sensor and done the same thing.
Yes... All valve-flap sensors from JDM cars are Nippon-Denso, they only make 2 sizes, but there are atleast a dozen PCB's inside those two housings.

And 3vz-fe to 3 headswap has been discussed alot. Search.

Last edited by Toysrme; 01-25-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Toysrme
And 3vz-fe to 3 headswap has been discussed alot. Search.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:01 AM

call me incompetent, but I havent been able to find anything on the headswap, searching around. I leaned out the stock vafs and got better gas milage with a loss of power. Im thinking about doing the ect mod as well, so I can adjust the fuel mixture as I please in the car.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search on the engine code or camry

Here are a few

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=camry

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=3vz-fe

hope this helps
Old 01-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

There was somebody here that was trying to put the camry's heads on the 4runner block and using the intake manifold off a Tacoma 3.4. Not sure whatever happened to that, but I don't think it worked out for some reason. Last I heard the guy was trying to find a timing belt that would work.

Here's the links to that:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/mods-3-0-durring-full-rebuild-35794/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=camry+heads

Old 01-26-2006, 07:45 AM

the closest between the 2 would be the 3.4L head....but thats different too

the cooling jackets are different...its jsut not worth theeffort really
Old 01-26-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do all the research you want but the ultimate answer is gonna be that you'll have more invested in doing it right then its worth. Unless you can get all the parts for cheep then you'll be searching and tuning forever to get it right. Basicly the distributer goes right where you heater is now.

Lets see some pics of the VAFM that you got and compare it to the stock unit. You say that you just pluged it in and it worked with no tuning? Do you have a air/fuel meter to ensure that you're not killing your engine with this mod?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:03 AM

I am going to get a AF meter, because as of now, I have no idea if im killing my engine. We have decided that it is the exact same VAFM that is in the other 6 cylinder yotas. I guesss, technically I did tune it by leaning out the Meter, but im still going to get the AF meter. I was just really excited about the thought of putting 24 valve heads on the 3VZE
Old 01-26-2006, 10:10 AM

Also the 4runner ecus from whaty i remeber are regular flapper style afr vs the supra is a karmen vortex airflow sensors 2 different styles
Old 01-26-2006, 10:58 AM

Only the TURBO Supras are Karman vortex and won't work. The N/A Supras DO work.
Some thoughts on the 3vz-fe Camry engine: just swap the whole engine; it's much easier. See if it's possible to swap the sensors/electronics from the truck V6 onto it, and tune it that way. Use a 3.4 V6 upper intake manifold and exhaust. Now, how about ignition? Would it be possible to rig up a crank sensor somewhere (like GM does) and rig up a coil pack ignition system? Or even coil-on-plug like the Vortec engines? That way you could eliminate the distributor. The 7mge uses a distributorless ignition system, so why not convert it to the V6? Has this been thought of already?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 AM

Cool

Ya the bigger Denso AFM's read way different. In your case the output is going to be roughly 17-21% different voltage @ WOT.
That's a huge change. I'd say you need to get a multi-meter on that AFM @ idle, @ 3000rpm, @ 5000rpm.
Then put the stock unit back on & check it the same.

Forget the o2 value for now.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Radyota
Only the TURBO Supras are Karman vortex and won't work. The N/A Supras DO work.
Some thoughts on the 3vz-fe Camry engine: just swap the whole engine; it's much easier. See if it's possible to swap the sensors/electronics from the truck V6 onto it, and tune it that way. Use a 3.4 V6 upper intake manifold and exhaust. Now, how about ignition? Would it be possible to rig up a crank sensor somewhere (like GM does) and rig up a coil pack ignition system? Or even coil-on-plug like the Vortec engines? That way you could eliminate the distributor. The 7mge uses a distributorless ignition system, so why not convert it to the V6? Has this been thought of already?
there would be a bunch of fab work on the intake as it is facing the wrong way. If you wern't careful you would lose any gain from the 24 valves
Old 01-26-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by celica
there would be a bunch of fab work on the intake as it is facing the wrong way. If you wern't careful you would lose any gain from the 24 valves
I doubt that Toysrme has posted some pics of a modified plenum on a fe that would work on the truck application. The only way I can see it working is to do a complete swap, so you're looking basicly at a 3.4 level of difficulty maybe more. It would work out to the same cost for me here but that all depends of the cost of the motors where you live.

I looked at both the 3.4 swap and the 3vzfe swap and since the 3.4 engines are sooo expensive here I dropped that one, the complexity of the 3vzfe swap basicly left me in the same price range as a minty 3.4 so I dumped both ideas in favor of a stroked 3vze. Just got my new OS SS valves in the mail today, nice.

After I'm done with the NA 3.0 I'll likely just add a SC, depending where I am on the dyno when I get that far.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:26 PM

Let us know what power increases you get from the stroked 3.0

Quick Reply: 24 valve heads for a 3vze and 80 extra Miles per tank?!