86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22RE rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE rebuild

how many of you guys out there have rebuilt a 22RE engine yourself? how tough is it? and have you guys found anything to help other then the chiltons manual? I just got a '92 pickup for parts and I want to rebuild the engine on it some time in the future. Just wondering what parts to use, if I'll need any special tools, and how long I should expect it to take me. Also would it be any harder to put in an aftermarket cam at this time and do you guys use plastic or metal timing chain guides. thanks

David

Last edited by david28; 04-15-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:24 AM

havent personally done it as of yet, but the yota engines are pretty easy to work on. as long as you have a guide and these guys and a litle bit of knowledge u should be fine. good luck, look forward to seeing the pics of rebuild.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Shoot Ted at engnbldr.com an email. I got my rebuild parts from him, he had great stuff for very good prices.

I opted to have a professional machinist machine the block and set up the lower end, cost about $800 total. Not too bad!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:35 AM

I got all my parts from Ted aswell.

Wasn't an overly tough job to do, a bit time consuming and tedious at times, but not tough. Lot's of vacuum lines to watch out for, but everything mechanical is pretty simple.

Putting in a cam isn't tough either, as long as your rocker arms are in perfect shape, or you have new ones, its as easy as pulling the old one out and putting the new one in.

My rebuild took me about 4 months to do...because I had school and it was realyl friggen cold. So total working time was probably about 2 weeks working pretty lazy days. That also included redoing the top end twice because I was dumb. I had it all together and it started, then I had to pull the whole top end and timing junk again.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my buddy and I rebuilt mine in a week end. It was pretty straight forward, just depends on how fast and how bad you need it on the road. The 93 FSM that is online is a great thing to bookmark, and use.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:44 PM

thanks for the help......the 22RE is such a popular engine it seems like that I thought they may have made a book specificly for it.....but about the timing chain guides, what is the difference between the metal and plastic guides?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM

i rebuilt mine at school, and it took a long time, but i couldnt devote as much time per day as i would have liked, but i did most of the work myself and was fairly easy, other than finding that several of my bolts had been stolen(so many idiots in my class) it still runs but with the exhaust not being fully hooked up iv only put like 200 miles on it, but it seems to be running fine. for parts i would recommend ted at engnblrd, he has all the parts you should need and he is really helpful
Old 04-15-2007, 10:03 PM

these engines are nothing special. other than they last longer than many rivals.

if you have good mechanical knowedge. some good quality tools, and a FSM, you can do it. But I guarantee your gonna be making threads asking about somthing. but thats just dandy. we are here to help.

you will need a strait edge, a piston ring compressor, a plasti-gauge, dial indicator, rubber mallet, torque wrench.

use only OEM parts, dont skimp on this. unless you are UPgrading to LCEngineering. like pistons, cam and crank. you might as well burn your money if you do otherwise.

use only OEM gaskets. and use FIPG for the oil pan.

you can rebuild this engie easily, with patience, the right tools, (throw away your cresent wrench and get a set of real wrenches) and the FSM. Remember, its only metal, you can out smart it.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by david28
thanks for the help......the 22RE is such a popular engine it seems like that I thought they may have made a book specificly for it.....but about the timing chain guides, what is the difference between the metal and plastic guides?
When the plastic guides break (and they do), the chain will rub on the drivers side of the timing cover and will eventually rub a hole into the water pump section allowing water to mix with oil.

The metal backed guides keep the above from happening.

Get you parts from Ted as stated above great service, knowledge and parts. You can also find stuff from him on ebay as well as his site.