86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

22re please help hesitates/hard starts

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re please help hesitates/hard starts

well guys everytime ive asked for help on here before ive always been lead in the right direction to the correct solution so lets hope it works again. first the basics 1994 22re 4x4 5spd 173k. brandnew timing chain and guides and tensioner. brand new as in a week old.

ok heres the problem. i bought the truck from a guy and when he had it sounded like the starter was dragging when it tried to crank. like if you had the timing way off and it didnt want to start when hot. also from idle to about 3000rpm the truck is real sluggish then it wants to pick up. it did all this before and after the new chain. i know the timing is at 5' checked it many of times. ive even advance it a couple of degrees to help with it being sluggish. still no change. also i know the chain was in the correct position checked 3 times and had it verified.

ive replaced the wires fuel filter cap and rotor button and plugs and air filter still no change. also ive put a new starter on there just cuz it seemed weak. it sounds better but still hard to start. it seems to start the best with you try to give it a little gas upon startup. ive read that the 02 sensor can go bad and still not trip a CE light? is this true? also how do you test the 02 sensor? im completely lost on this and its driving me crazy so please help

thanks everyone
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Hi,
It sounds like my problem is the same. I have an 86 4Runner. I'm not a mechanic, but my garage gutted the cc, and it ran MUCH better for a short while, then more of the same. Have you gotten any solutions to this problem? My garage has the truck in now, and is trying to read/interpret the old flash codes. Thanks,
Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the TPS to see if its good and adjusted properly. Also check the AFM to see if its good.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
Check the TPS to see if its good and adjusted properly. Also check the AFM to see if its good.
^x2. I would start with the AFM just because it's less messy (no coolant).You can do a sloppy inspection of the TPS while it's still on the engine, but it's better to just take it out and set it up right. Just drain the radiator enough so the coolant level is below the throttle body, otherwise it gets a little messy.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 AM

Thanks. I'm learning much about the 4Runner. TPS and AFM seem to be the consensus. 2CarPros (http://www.2carpros.com/questions/to...r-acceleration) page agrees, and says to check the usual (bad gas, dirty plugs and injectors) but includes TPS and AFM/MAF.
ACTS412
Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by myyota
Originally Posted by B-Fake
^x2. I would start with the AFM just because it's less messy (no coolant).You can do a sloppy inspection of the TPS while it's still on the engine, but it's better to just take it out and set it up right. Just drain the radiator enough so the coolant level is below the throttle body, otherwise it gets a little messy.
Thirded. I had a bad TPS that acted the same way, sluggish until a certain RPM and then it picked up like a scalded goose.

4crawler has an awesome writup on testing it out - http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml - I've ended up printing that out and sticking it in my Chiltons.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 AM

I had a cracked piece of air duct in between the MAF and Throttle Body. I ended up repairing it. If you disconnect the wire from the coil to the distributor and turn the motor over you should hear the flap in the MAF opening and closing. If you do not proceed from there to make sure you have no leaks in your intake system. If not then check out the MAF. I have another if you need it.