Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1992 Pickup TC Long Travel questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
what are your plans with the truck? what do you intend to do with it? if its going to be just a cruiser on fire roads or rock crawler i would scrap the gen 2 kit and go with the gen 1 and a shock upgrade. if you plan on hitting stuff at higher speeds and jumping it then stick with the gen 2. for the rear i would wait until you get everything installed on the front and set the ride hight and go from there. you might only need like an inch or 2 to level it out.
i noticed you also dont have springs listed for your coilovers which you will need or the heim steering TC offers. i would suggest getting the steering upgrade along with the idler if you plan on beating on the truck.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f11/...-2-kit-225310/

snatch it up, i wish i could
Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert m
what are your plans with the truck? what do you intend to do with it? if its going to be just a cruiser on fire roads or rock crawler i would scrap the gen 2 kit and go with the gen 1 and a shock upgrade. if you plan on hitting stuff at higher speeds and jumping it then stick with the gen 2. for the rear i would wait until you get everything installed on the front and set the ride hight and go from there. you might only need like an inch or 2 to level it out.
i noticed you also dont have springs listed for your coilovers which you will need or the heim steering TC offers. i would suggest getting the steering upgrade along with the idler if you plan on beating on the truck.
Plan's for the truck are more for DD, cruiser, off roading on fire roads etc. for now. Later down the road i might take it more extreme to jumping and higher speed kind of stuff. Since I'm dropping the coin I thought i might as well not skimp out and do it right the first time so that's why i want to go with the gen 2 kit.

I have the front end of my truck down but can't figure out what I want to do with the rear. I don't want to hack my truck bed or anything like that. I was researching on the web and found an article in which they long traveled a toyota pickup and used a deaver mini pack kit which is pretty much a add- a-leaf. Based on the pictures it seems to have a good amount of flex in the rear and should give me 2-3 inches of lift. I think it will do for now as far as fire roads and what not are concerned. Later down the road when i get into jumping and higher speed stuff I'll probably go a different route with the rear What do yall think?

Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by razed
this post?

TC will add about 6" width, 3" per side. t100 rear axle will add enough for that and keep the front/rear track width about the same.
... and I missed something?
No you got it, but you had posted basically the same thing.

Anyways, at OP.. why dont you save your buck on something that youre going to use more than on just fireroads..
every person ive seen get LT on here has either lived in the desert, or done hardcore trails.. not to bash, but i cant justify spending 3 grand to drive down fire roads..
Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 AM

I have that gen 2 kit and the ass of the truck can be kept at the same height of the front. the only thing you have to do is adjust the collar on the coil over so that u even it out. without adjusting the collar ur truck is actually going to sag more than stock. so to pick that front up you need to adjust those coil overs!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Sweet that's what i wanted to hear. This way i can drive it like it is and later do the rear when i save more $. Is your rear stock? How do you like the ride over the stock suspension?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:58 PM

The rear is stock. I wanna do deavers with smooth body shocks. The front on the street to me it feels the same but also I had the shocks installed in he wrong place so ill have to see if it makes a diffrence this week when I get all that fixed. As far as the off road part odor. It makes all the diffrence. It was worth it I think but the back sucks stilll :/
Old 12-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
No you got it, but you had posted basically the same thing.

Anyways, at OP.. why dont you save your buck on something that youre going to use more than on just fireroads..
every person ive seen get LT on here has either lived in the desert, or done hardcore trails.. not to bash, but i cant justify spending 3 grand to drive down fire roads..
Maybe, but a lot of people do SAS's just to run fire roads.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why not sas the thing and do the rear too for the same or less coin
Old 12-13-2010, 11:25 AM

the i only part i don't like about long travel is we still have the week 7.5in front diff i know some people have swapped in the supra irs in aus but that's a lot of money and extra fab work, i think sas is still best option and cheaper. I swapped a gs400 irs into my is300 to get a lower gear because i was running a v160 and i spent almost 2k to get it together not including the lsd. Unless i was trying to enter baja i wouldn't want to spend 5k+ to get a tough front suspension, when u can have a lot tougher sas for under 2k
Old 12-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94toy22re
the i only part i don't like about long travel is we still have the week 7.5in front diff i know some people have swapped in the supra irs in aus but that's a lot of money and extra fab work, i think sas is still best option and cheaper. I swapped a gs400 irs into my is300 to get a lower gear because i was running a v160 and i spent almost 2k to get it together not including the lsd. Unless i was trying to enter baja i wouldn't want to spend 5k+ to get a tough front suspension, when u can have a lot tougher sas for under 2k
7.5 is weak from the factory. Get rid of the carrier, and its a lot stronger.

Axles are solvable but have a lot of coin.

In the end, running mild roads, the LT is far superior to a SAS. You can blast along roads with the LT. LT is also easier to build lower, and in the end, its a lot less cookie cutter.

Check out Tech Tim's stuff on Pirate. He would leave the SAS guys in the dust on the fire roads, because they couldn't keep up.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM

if there was a bolt on option for a supra or newer tundra or tacoma front diff i would love to do a long travel.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Also depends what ir going to use it for if u wanna haul ass then a LT is ur best bet. If u don't ten maybe sas is best for u
Old 12-18-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Meh, I'd worry about the rear later. You can drive it just fine without widening it. Many of the rigs on the TC website are not swapped in the rear.

I agree with Ike, I've been running the Blazeland LT for a year now and still run the standard rear. One of these days I'll widen it up, but so far it isn't really noticeable in the driveability at all.

As for the glass, I guess if your LEO's care about it, then yeah, better figure something out. I'm not putting glass on mine. No need to spend all that coin just to have it get screwed up. Around here, johnny law only cares about the tires if you are a jerk to them when they've pulled you over for something else.

Around here Johnny law is nasty when it comes to tires sticking out and that's been the biggest issue with driving my LT equipped 'Runner. With 35x12.50s mounted on 17x9.5" wheels, more than 3/4s of the tires stuck out from my stock fenders... not good.

Last week I dug out a couple FJ80 wheels, they are 16x8 with a 5" backspace and some metric 35s and threw those on the front. Now with a couple Bushwacker flares, I only have about 3/4" of tread sticking out, so pretty legal as far as the police are concerned.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've heard that those Aussie guys are trying to produce a Kit for the Supra 8" rear diff.

i've only HEARD this, not saying they are..i haven't asked.

i wanted to LT my 4runner, but..a top heavy 4runner aint best for blastin down some fireroads and such lol

still might though, if i can get that 8" front diff!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by elblako91
Christmas is around the corner and I think I'm going to bite the bullet and long travel my 1992 toyota pickup. I've been researching around and came up with a list of stuff I'm going to buy to make this all work out. I've estimated around $3000 for everything. What all am I leaving out? Things I should look out for? Is this something that I could do in 2-3 days?

- TOTAL CHAOS GEN II "CADDY" KIT (P.T. 9500)
- TOTAL CHAOS GEN II SHOCK HOOP KIT (TO MOUNT THE COIL OVERS)
(P.T. 95602)
- 2 KING HOSE RESERVOIRS COIL OVER SHOCKS 2.5 X 8" (P.T.PR2508-COHRS)
- 2 T100 AXLES TO RETAIN 4WD

If all goes well I hope to have long travel on my rig by new years
Sent you a PM
Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tech Tim
I agree with Ike, I've been running the Blazeland LT for a year now and still run the standard rear. One of these days I'll widen it up, but so far it isn't really noticeable in the driveability at all.

Around here Johnny law is nasty when it comes to tires sticking out and that's been the biggest issue with driving my LT equipped 'Runner. With 35x12.50s mounted on 17x9.5" wheels, more than 3/4s of the tires stuck out from my stock fenders... not good.

Last week I dug out a couple FJ80 wheels, they are 16x8 with a 5" backspace and some metric 35s and threw those on the front. Now with a couple Bushwacker flares, I only have about 3/4" of tread sticking out, so pretty legal as far as the police are concerned.
How do you like 35s on the blazeland kit? I've been considering it, but I was wondering if I'd have to go back down to 33s or tub the firewall.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 PM

35s are the way to go, I think the rig is much more balanced feeling and the difference in off road ability is obviously way better than when it had the 33s.

Bumping and rubbing a little, but so far has been very liveable. We need to do a bit more trimming and everything will clear. The best thing we've done recently is to go to a 8" wide wheel with a 5" backspace; not only did it tuck in the tires enough that we're legal with some Bushwackers, it also pulled the scrub in a bit which gives less swing on the tires, so they are not hitting as much as before AND as a bonus has made this thing go from a good handling rig to a great handling rig

Last edited by Tech Tim; 12-23-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Sent you a PM
PM responded
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 AM

Just letting everyone know that everything is in the mail. I'm so stoked!!