See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Toyota 4Runner 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides

Print Wikipost

1991 toyota 4wd parking lights , dash lights and brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 toyota 4wd parking lights , dash lights and brake lights not working

i was hooking up some new headlights i bought. They have halos surrounding the glass. I cut into the parking lights to hook them up and now neither of the three in the title are working. I checked the wires that were cut and no voltage. Ive already checked the tail fuse and it is fine. I used a test light on the fuse socket and there is not any power to that socket. Ive checked the relay for it and it is also in working order. I used one of these ask a mechanic deals and they lead me to check the dimmer switch. Pulled it off and no current going to that plug either. They told me to check the combination switch. ive looked under the dash and i cant seem to find it. can someone please help me. I really need this fixed by monday and i honestly dont know what to do now. any help much appereciated.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the combo switch is the thing on the steering colum that has your wipers, lights and turn signals in a switch...its a good possibility that might be bad? you can get one off ebay for like 30 bucks i think? its used OEM but non better, go to ebay, then stores, then search the stores by seller, and put in toyotafoolish, ive bought a bunch of stuff off him, hes a good guy, n if you buy a couple things he combine ships them in one box so its cheaper, and to add when i had this prob in my other 86, a bunch of wires were burnt up behind the instrument cluster....might just wanna check..my .02
Old 12-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What dash lights aren't working, all of them or just some?

Firstly the combination switch is your headlight/indicator/wiper stalk assembly. There is a few differn't switches, but they are all combined as the combination switch.The dimmer switch is the headlight low beam/high beam, the one you push forward and back. The light control switch is the 3 way swiitch on the end of the stalk (headlights on and off). And then there is the indicaqtor switch and the wiper control switch.

Start by checking the combination for continuity. Don't voltage test the outputs of the switch as headlight control is all -ve switched. Find a FSM and it will show you what pins to check for continuity.

I very much doubt your problem lies with the combination switch however, it is worth the check however. The headlights, brake lights and dash lights are on complete different circuits. Even the power supplies and ground points are separate in each circuit. Unless individual issues developed in seperate circuits at the same time you most likely have a loose connection, cut wires somewhere. This issue is hard to diagnose over the internet because there is no common problem between the 3. Get yourself a diagram and just investigate each circuit. Sorry I can't be of more help
Old 12-19-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You blew the fuse under the dash.
Were you working with the battery connected?
And did you short it out?
Because thats what i did, and my dash, operating lights, and parking lights didnt work.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Have you disconnected the halo lights? If not, do that first. You can run into trouble interconnecting the headlight and parking light circuits. Why? The parking lights are a switched power setup, that is they have a hard ground connection and power is sent to them to turn them on. The headlights are just the opposite, switched ground. They have a power connection (via a relay and fuse) then the lights are grounded to make them turn on. If your headlights are set up so that the halo light shares any connection with the actual headlight bulbs, that may be the cause of your problem.