84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

xtended cab drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xtended cab drive shaft

I am in need of a drive shaft for a 1988 long cab toyota pick up...
any idea of where I can get one...
I have been scouring the salvage lots and looked on ebay and craigs list and have yet to come up with one for the truck..
Just so you know yes I am female.. and I am looking for my boyfriend who I think has a whole fleet of toyota trucks.. he keeps buying one to repair the others and then fixes them all makes not a whole lota sense to me however I have been reading the these forums and am facinated by what you do to your trucks.. fun times..
so... if any of you could be of help... i would travel some distance to get the drive shaft.. in all honesty.. i know so little about this and want to suprise him with the drive shaft for christmas.. and that is why i am on here asking you guys to help... will you please help me
I do find some drive shafts for the short truck... but that is going to be too short right? can you alter those somehow to make them longer? i am sure you guys are thinking gosh who is this silly girl.. she needs to know more.. sorry for my lack of knowledge...
Old 11-24-2007, 11:19 AM

Wow, that would be a good gift...no joke. Did you check the junk yard? If there is one already on it you may be able get it balanced unless it's really damaged. Otherwise there usually are shops that do that sort of thing i.e. balance, fix, extend, shorten whatever you want but may be pricey. Also, is it a two piece drive shaft? If so does he need both...they are separated by a bearing so maybe check that out, also not too sure if 88's have that. Some on here might say you're better off getting a whole one piece unit therefore eliminating the need for the center support bearing. Somebody else may chime in with more info, that is really the extent of my knowledge. Good luck and don't worry about sounding "silly" and no need to apologize...there are lots of guys/girls learning from this great forum.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 PM

i have checked all of the salvage lots in the area even the ones with a reputation of being a little sketchy...

I think he mentioned wanting a one peice one or needing a one piece one...

do you think anyone on here would have one for sale..
could you tell me why the extended cabs are so difficult to find?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:36 PM

You may want to post in the wanted section...go to home page, forums, then click on marketplace and you'll be able to post a tread. Also do a search in there...you never know, there are many parting out trucks. As far as ext.cab go, do you mean why are the trucks themselves hard to find or just parts. Where I live and within a 4hr radius it's nearly impossible to find any parts for older toyota's trucks...people are keeping them all to themselves I guess. Give this thread some time and hopefully someone can steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by BluYot; 11-24-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Try:
- http://www.car-part.com/

The xtra cab and long bed pickups are a longer wheel base and thus need a longer driveshaft. There are two versions, one is a one-piece long shaft that goes from the back of the transfer case to the rear axle. The other version (more common) is 2-piece, with a short front section, a center support bearing and a longer rear section. And search for anything from '84-'88 model years, longbeds or extra cabs, should all be the same length.

You could always have the old shaft repaired at a local driveline shop or you could get one for a short wheel base pickup or 4Runner and have it lengthened at a driveline shop.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 11-24-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Rear driveshaft for a 1988 LWB pickup, yep I know where to get those. Car-Part.com is the only supply of such in the entire state of Oregon I can find. Hope you don't live here because last I checked there was only one left for a V6 MT. I bought the other two one-piece 1988 4x4 LWB V6 MT driveshafts that were available(each requiring a cross-state 400 mile round-trip drive to retrieve). And if you got a 4 cyl MT you won't find any in Oregon on there. So they are rare here too, if you ain't from here, which I don't know.

There's a difference between 4 cyl and V6/Turbo driveshaft bolt patterns. The V6/Turbo shafts are also slightly more robust. Also there's a slight length difference between MT(manual transmission) and AT(automatic transmission) rear driveshafts even on the same wheel base vehicle. So you don't get many options there really, gotta be the same engine & same transmission & same wheel base as yours to match up perfect.

The reason I can't find many for my 1988 long bed(LWB)pickup 4x4 V6 MT is because the ONLY match is a 1988 4x4 V6 long bed or extended cab with a MT, AT is too short by an inch or so. The length of the wheel base changed after 1988, so any year after they're too long. And anything before 1988 won't be a V6, and apparently there weren't many LWB turbos or the length of thier rear driveshafts is different than a 1988 LWB V6(most likely). I've never found one to match mine anyway, but a turbo 4 cyl driveshaft is the same as a V6. However, would only work on a V6 vehicle if you could find one the right length, which may not exist.

So you have VERY FEW options for stock replacements if your in my boat, 88 4x4 V6 LWB MT. Are you? If so, now your up to speed with what goes on here.

The shaft on mine is a one-piece 42.5" weld-weld, if yours is a V6 it's the same.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-24-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks for that webpage.. that is super dooper helpful..
looks like there may be one located in minnesota...
the truck is a AT and 4 cylinder...

This has been interesting for me to research.. thank you for all your help

and actually i was looking either in the midwest or oregon as I have connections in oregon that could have gone to pick up the drive shaft and bring it here but.. you are right tehre is none there and none between here and there as well

Hopefully I can help him get this truck running again so then he can start working on the engine of the 1986 4 runner... as i wanna drive that and it has been sitting for a bit.. i think that the engine is bad... or something.. once we went on a romantic date as i was frustrated and well we ended up at the salvage lot buying a 4runner... is taht romanace at least its a good story

I am amazed at how much you poeple know.. wow
Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Were are you located? I need to know the overall length? I beleive I have one that will work.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:10 PM

i am located in south dakota... where are you located?