84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

What should I do with my 22R

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I do with my 22R

I have an 84 pickup, 22r motor. About 5 years ago, it overheated on the freeway, and from then on would not start. It has sat in my driveway since then. I had it taken to a mechanic, and they figure it could be a blown head gasket, or a cracked head. They said it had lost compression, although i don't recall the figure.

They want $700 just to take the head off. Which i obviously don't like.

I want some opinions on how you would proceed. A friend of mine suggested i may want to get it rebuilt instead.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 607 Likes on 443 Posts
If it has a blown headgasket, it may well have laid the last 5 years with coolant in the cylinders.
Can the engine be turned now with a socket on the crank pulley??

This needs to be known before any further decision can be made.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by millball
If it has a blown headgasket, it may well have laid the last 5 years with coolant in the cylinders.
Can the engine be turned now with a socket on the crank pulley??

This needs to be known before any further decision can be made.

They ran a compression test, pretty sure that would require turning the engine over manually right?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:15 PM

Was it just done recently??
Old 03-05-2015, 12:28 PM

Was it just done recently??
just talked to the guy a moment ago. apparantly, the engine cranks when you start the ignition....odd because i swore it did not. obviously won't start. So they just hit the ignition and did the test.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:48 PM

Well it needs to be opened for inspection then, since it has been determined that its not seized up.

$700 is a major ripoff for simple head removal. I would think an honest shop would do that for under $200.

Can you do any of this work yourself??
Old 03-05-2015, 03:31 PM

Well it needs to be opened for inspection then, since it has been determined that its not seized up.

$700 is a major ripoff for simple head removal. I would think an honest shop would do that for under $200.

Can you do any of this work yourself??
Its not out of the question. I have weekends to work on it, not sure how involved it would be, barring an visibly blown head gasket im not sure what to look for. what would you do?
Old 03-07-2015, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 84'22r
I have an 84 pickup, 22r motor. About 5 years ago, it overheated on the freeway, and from then on would not start. It has sat in my driveway since then. I had it taken to a mechanic, and they figure it could be a blown head gasket, or a cracked head. They said it had lost compression, although i don't recall the figure.

They want $700 just to take the head off. Which i obviously don't like.

I want some opinions on how you would proceed. A friend of mine suggested i may want to get it rebuilt instead.

Thanks
700 just to R/R a head seems insane to me.

First off, the block/lower end components can take a good baking without harm, it's the aluminum heads that are weak. What you'd probably need to do is have the head surfaced and while it's off have a standard head service (valve job/seals/etc...). You can't get an honest compression test if you have a blown gasket or a badly tweaked head as those two things can affect the results.

After pulling the head you can feel the top of each cylinder sleeve for a ridge. If there is no obvious scoring, corrosion or ridge inside the cylinders and the engine spins freely without the head you can probably put the head back on and be on your merry way. Worst case scenario you have a newly rebuilt head that can be reused as is and a bad bottom end which means disassembly and rebuild time.

If the engine is seized (sounds like it isn't if you had a compression test) a lot of times you can break it loose and the rings will still seal, and not need a rebuild. It's all about what you want to do.

Clear as mud?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:13 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Get prices for getting the head surfaced. It can run $2-400 bucks. If it's on the higher end then you might want to call engnbldr and see what a stock new head shipped to you door is. I think they can be had for under $400. And that's new head and head components. Not sure if you would have to reuse your cam but as long as it's not damaged that no big deal.

Also depending I. How warped the head is use caution on decking it. Everything I have been told is do not take more than 10 thousands of it. It can mess with the cam timing and then they run hotter and that just a slippery slope to go down. Call engnbldr out of Portland and just ask him his opinion. Nice guy to talk to and honest advise. Good luck hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:15 PM

More than .010 can be taken off a head. A shim can be used and/or an adjustable timing gear as well. Calling engnbldr is probably never bad advice. Never dealt with him myself but he has a solid reputation and his posts are informative.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Make sure and check the block as well. It is quite common for there to be some minor corrosion between number 2-3 cylinders. If that's the case you might need to get your block decked as well. Bring the timing cover in at the same time they need that to match. And keep track of how many thousandths they take off. It all adds together.

Sure you can use shims and adjustable cam gears. But compare prices and decide what's best for you. Just talk to some motor builders and ask. I would start with engnbldr. He is friendly and gives honest advise. LCD builds great motors but some people have trouble with their customer support. 22re performance has a good rep but you pay for it. Those are just 3 off the top of my head. Good luck
Old 03-08-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Its a cool truck, fix it and drive it! Its not that hard to do a head DIY. The machine shop does the hard work.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can probably find a running 22r for around $700. Just drop it in and change your fluids etc. They're notorious engines for a reason.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 PM

84'22r is getting some solid YotaTech advice...
Old 03-09-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do the head yourself, make sure you chase your head bolt holes and make sure you have no fluids in there at all other wise you will be asking for problems!

If you have a blown head gasket and you pull the spark plugs and crank the engine you should have coolant spiting out of one of your plug holes. If head gasket is blown you should have water in your oil or vise verse. By the way water in your oil, is also caused by a worn out timing chain cutting through the water jacket wall on your timing chain cover.

Word of wisdom, if you're replacing the head gasket you might as well do your timing chain and water pump at the same time. You are going to have to remove them to pull the head anyway.

grey
Old 08-17-2015, 12:37 PM

Ok Im reintroducing this thread.

I had to get the truck out of my apt complex, and a neighbor reccomended me an auto shop nearby so i had it towed over there and inspected. After running the engine, the guy says that it is burning oil, and that if they fix the compression problem, it may cause it to burn oil quicker. So from what he tells me, I need new piston rings, otherwise it is going to continue to overheat.

His estimate was pretty steep, at close to $2000 after parts and labor. Can anyone make a suggestion on how I should proceed? I really hate to part with my truck, but also hate to spend so much on it.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:06 PM

That sounds very reasonable for an engine rebuild.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Look at the frame; everything bolts to the frame. If the frame is good; do it.