84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Weber owners....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weber owners....

I heard you can pull the vacuum advance from the distributor and advance the timing and get more power.. has anyone tried this?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, this isn't really a carb question if you ask me. All the carb really does is mix your fuel and air and pulls a little advance on the distributor in light to mid throttle. At full throttle and higher rpms, the distributor is pretty much only advanced by mechanical means and the carb's vacuum is being used to pull in fuel and air. What timing is your engine set at now at idle with the vacuum removed?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
scribed... Curious about this as well.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Well, this isn't really a carb question if you ask me. All the carb really does is mix your fuel and air and pulls a little advance on the distributor in light to mid throttle. At full throttle and higher rpms, the distributor is pretty much only advanced by mechanical means and the carb's vacuum is being used to pull in fuel and air. What timing is your engine set at now at idle with the vacuum removed?
Good info here. I'm nerw to carbs. Basically advanced mine till it pinged and backed it off a little. Called it good. Runs great but as any of us that run 22r/re's can state even if you're geared properly we want more power.
Bain, which weber are you running? Are you running a header as well?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked it as a carb question since its the only line hooked to the carb and wasnt sure how it worked..with vacuum removed its set at zero... I'm running a 32/36..engine all stock. I have 5.29s and going up small hill I have to shift to 3rd to make it.. I have no power when I get on it... It was supposed to be jetted for this elevation to...but i'm new to carbs so its all new to me.. thanks for the info..

Last edited by bain; 09-24-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I can think of a couple things that might help you. First, I've had pretty good luck bumping my timing to about 6* btdc with vacuum removed, and also I've hooked the vacuum advance to full manifold vacuum(not hooked to the carb at all, just a port on the intake).

If that doesn't do enough, then your jetting is probably the problem. What elevation are you at and what idle jets do you have installed? If you haven't already looked up the installation lean best idle mixture, do that and it'll tell you if you need a larger or smaller set of idle jets.

To give you an idea of tuning it, I'm at 4,000' to almost 10,000' elevation where I normally operate my '83 with the Weber. Unknown engine mods except a header and larger than stock exhaust, Weber 32/36 with a sync-link kit on it(so worth the money, woke up my light to mid throttle response so much). I don't exactly recall my setup, pretty sure 60 idle jets and 140 or 145 main jets. Honestly, the idle jets do most of the work in these carbs cause they phase to the mains pretty slowly with our lower rpm motors. To give you a little idea of things you can do for the carb tuning, if that's the issue, check out this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...talled-225236/
Just don't mind the idiocy being spewed out by the jackwagon who originally posted it, but xxxtreme and KryptoRoxx have some good links there for you.