84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Tail light, flasher, blinkers (w/e you call them) are not working.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light, flasher, blinkers (w/e you call them) are not working.

Hello,

I will update with pictures shortly. This is for a friends (girl) 1st gen runner. Her boyfriend is coming back from the army after 3 months and needs to pick him up with it.

Problem 1: the flashers & hazards dont work anymore. I've opened up the fuse box on the bottom left corner of the drivers foot area. They are all the correct Amp & none are blown.

However, there is this black giant plastic thing that says "flasher" and seems to be held into place with a clip but wont come out. Im afraid to break it... could this be what it says

I've also investigated the fuze box under the hood everything seems okay.

Problem 2: The trunk door power window doesnt work, which on 1st gens means she can't open the door... This is a problem as the luggage needs to fit into the car =(

Any help would be appreciated, especially since the giant manual is full of technical information BUT doesn't have squat in terms of where anything is located...
Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
1. Clip is on top of the flasher relay box, you need to press down on it and pull out to remove. Assume you have checked the bulbs and any chance there is a trailer wiring plug on the vehicle. If so, disconnect it and see what happens.

2. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When all these lights go out,does the engine kind of,idle a bit lower?
I had a similar problem with some "idiot" lights all going out at once.
I popped the hood,while engine was running and several "idiot" lights brightly tellin me something,I took a long heavy screwdriver. rested it on the alternator housing,and gave a good whack on it with a soft blow hammer. (note...if you Lou Gehrig it with a heavy swing,you will crack the alternator housing. So,easy does it).
Anyway...after the it. Idiot lights went away and engine idle stepped up to normal.
I replaced the alternator the next day and never had a problem since. It did cost me $185 for the new alternator. Be forwarned! LOL
If you can solder real good,go to the dealership and get new alternator brushes. $18 bucks! (auto parts store does not have access to these).
Note: A lot of manuals might tell you,when removing the alternator. it needs to come "down n out",from underneath. making you remove all kinds of bolted in objects. Bull!
I unwired mine,unbolted it...spent 10 minutes swearing and studying it. Turned it a bit,slipped it right through the frontand slid the new one in the same way!
:>)