84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

SR5 gauge cluster question.......not the usual tach/oil sender etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SR5 gauge cluster question.......not the usual tach/oil sender etc.

I bought an SR5 cluster to swap out my bare bones one. I have searched and know the necessary measures that need to be done for the tach and the oil sending unit. My question is if the SR5 cluster is wired for the gas light will my trucks harness have it, and will it light up when the gas gauge gets/almost to empty?

Last edited by 77lubr; 04-27-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 PM

I don';t think I've ever seen a gas light on either gauge cluster. THe optional idiot markers are: BACK DOOR, T-BELT (for diesels), A/T OIL, CHECK ENGINE (for 22-RE), and the usual SEAT BELT, BRAKE and CHARGE. I don't believe there any other ones. THe fuel light is a pretty retarded idea considering there's a gauge right there. I never understood the reasoning behind seeing how long you can push a tank of gas.

Anyway, there's a 50/50 chance that the tach will automatically work. Some are pre-wired and some aren't. Definetly change oil sending unit as mentioned. There have been circumstances where fuel gauges don't read exactly the same. It has to do with natural resistance built up in the gauges over time. Some age better than others... kind of like women.

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 05-10-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
I don';t think I've ever seen a gas light on either gauge cluster. THe optional idiot markers are: BACK DOOR, T-BELT (for diesels), A/T OIL, CHECK ENGINE (for 22-RE), and the usual SEAT BELT, BRAKE and CHARGE. I don't believe there any other ones. THe fuel light is a pretty retarded idea considering there's a gauge right there. I never understood the reasoning behind seeing how long you can push a tank of gas.

Anyway, there's a 50/50 chance that the tach will automatically work. Some are pre-wired and some aren't. Definetly change oil sending unit as mentioned. There have been circumstances where fuel gauges don't read exactly the same. It has to do with natural resistance built up in the gauges over time. Some age better than others... kind of like women.
They were definitely an option. I've owned at least three (two Runners and a pickup) which had the light. The main reason I like the idiot light is if your gauge was to ever go out the light will send you a friendly reminder to get gas. You can also drive at least 40 miles once it starts flashing.

Oh yeah, I am unfortunately similar to Kosmo Kramer, and love to test the limits of a tank of gas.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
You'll learn that riding on E is bad...the hard way....when your fuel filter goes just so you could make it 'one more mile'. just a tip!
Old 05-11-2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
You'll learn that riding on E is bad...the hard way....when your fuel filter goes just so you could make it 'one more mile'. just a tip!

I'm well aware of the risks of driving with an empty tank. My truck is carb'd so changing the fuel filter is about as easy as putting gas in it. EFI's are a different story.

Thanks for the input, but I really only need to know if the light will work. If I need any other info about the MAJOR risks of driving around with an empty tank of guys I'll be sure to send you a PM.