84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Shackle angle problems installing lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shackle angle problems installing lift

So im probably an idiot ive been working on my rig all day but i ran into an issue and im pretty stumped. My rig is an 85 4runner and im in the process of doing a TG lift, while installing my front leaf spring hanger i noticed the frame portion parallel to the leaf spring hanger is tweaked. So long story short i was having some problems getting perfect mesurments for the mounting bracket. I ended up useing the shackle angle as a guide befor i tack welded the brace in place. Both shackels are at 70 degrees, with just the leaf springs hanging from the truck. Once i installed the front axle, tires and rested the whole weight of the truck on the leafs the shackle angle changed quite a bit. The driver side was ruffly 84 degrees and the passenger was at 89 degrees. What am i doing wrong? is the mounting bracket positioned wrong? could it be possible that one leaf needs to settle more then the other? can some one shead some light on this issue. thanks, Nick.
Attached Thumbnails Shackle angle problems installing lift-getattachment.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what you're showing me there. Is that pic with the axle on and the weight of the truck resting on it?

Some pics of how mine progressed
no weight

axle hanging

full weight but rear not lifted

done

after some settling

It may have settled a bit more after that, but not much.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM

the picture is on jack stands with just the weight of the springs hanging, the rear is also on jacks but the shackle angle is both at and even 70 degrees when i attach the front axle, tires and wheels the shackle angle changes to 84 degrees (driver) and 89 degrees (passenger) this is with the front of the vehicle on the ground.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:30 AM

did ou remember to weld the 3/8" plate to the drivers side perch. and with the weight on the vehicle and your shackle is still negative or almost vertical, that night mean your spring hanger is too far forward.try to get some pics of it.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Make sure you install at least 4 degree shims on both your front springs to correct your drive shaft angle. Most lift kits for Toyota straight axles have different left and right springs, did you check this?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't know much about these, but if I did that I'd either think the same thing suncomb1 mentioned about left and right different lengths or they are on backwards meaning you have the front of the spring in the back and the back of the spring in the front. As I believe (and I could be wrong) that the springs are longer on one end of the spring then the other.

I would think if it's a left/right thing then shackle angles would be different from left to right. Where as if it's a backwards thing and I am right about the different lengths, the angles would be off on both sides. I just don't know if it's possible to "flip" them that way.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-26-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 AM

If he starts shimming the front too much he'll mess up castor, and have another problem.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you print out and fully read and understand the TG install instructions?

Springs are the same. Drivers side gets a plate.

Shimming is NOT your answer.

:wabbit2:
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I think 1 or more people have the post by BLKNBLU confused with the O.P.s truck. And the shimming refernce was maybe meant r him and not the O.P.?

But I agree, shimming doesn't do anything about shackle angles.

Hey Wabbit, how accurate was my post about the spring mounts not being "centered" in each spring from front to back? Could that be the problem? Is it even possible to mount them "backwards"?

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Not sure what you're showing me there. Is that pic with the axle on and the weight of the truck resting on it?

Some pics of how mine progressed
no weight

axle hanging

full weight but rear not lifted

done

after some settling

It may have settled a bit more after that, but not much.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Needs to show a pic of his front spring hanger..
Which at this point of the install should only be tack welded...
Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Military wrap goes to hanger, not a shackle. You can put them in backwards but it takes effort

:wabbit2:
Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 AM

This note is referenced to BLKNBLU install. 2 -4 degree shims installed in the front springs when doing a 3-4" suspension lift do not effect the castor any significant amount but it sure helps your drive shaft angle. I have 4 degree shims on my truck with a 3-4" suspension for 25+ years and never had any alignment problems.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the quick responses guys the mil wrap is in the front, and i did end up forgeting the block for the driver side spring perch. i ended up welding that on and re-installing the front axle i have the front and rear stitch welded on but to be honest with you guys im not to happy with how it turned out. ill try and get some pictures for you guys once i can find the adapter for my camera.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 PM

Heres some pics on the build so far, obviously i need to change some things. Also its a little higher than id like but i can always change that later, im crossing my fingers and hopeing the springs will settle allot.

Last edited by 808nickh; 03-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM

I set the rear shock mounts on the axle at a 45degree angle which was a very bad idea because im not getting even close to using half the shock i think im gonna go with daves off road shock mounting bracket, it will put the shocks at an / \ angle. Never ran it before hoping it will work well.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM

Front hanger looks good. Another to think about is how tight you made your shackle bolts. The trail gear kit comes with lock nuts, you just snug em up a little and they'll stay. But if you tighten the too much youll trash your bushings and your suspension wont cycle properly. I tightened my driver side to tight and any time i made i made a sharp left turn into a parking spot, the truck stayed tilted. Found the problem, loosened it up a bit now it rebounds as it should.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Fossilized
Staff

4" or 5" front springs?
supposed to put the weight of the vehicle on the axle before permanently welding the front hanger. I am glad I did that when i did my front suspension or my shackle angle would have sucked...
that being said, maybe I should have put my spring hanger a little further forward..4" T-G springs 4 years later:
looks like I will need to notch & add some material to the body mount:

welds look awesome. I may order the frame plates too and redo my shock and steering mounts.

Bump stop plans?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 AM

If anytging his hanger needs to go back not forward.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM

You mention your truck sits too, is it possible you ordered the heavy duty springs and have the lighter 4 cyl. Instead of the v6. Just trying to think of all the possibilities.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by MP's4R
If anytging his hanger needs to go back not forward.
exactly, who said it needed to go forward?
i mentioned i kind of wish mine was a hair further forward after 4 years of use/settling

his current shackle angle looks like mine at full droop

edit: his should settle a bit after flexing/driving

edit 2.o-his springs look like 4" by the number of leafs

Last edited by dropzone; 03-02-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Shackle angle problems installing lift