84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

runner rear window switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
runner rear window switch

Looking to replace the rear window switch in the center consule-
purchased a '85 runner with an aftermarket switch for the rear window. It is an off/on toggle switch. Problem is that occasionally it wont work unless the wiper switch is jockeyed around. I was wondering if anyone has found a good replacement. (stock is about $65 from the dealer)
Curious if a 2 pole( ? ) switch would work. (on-neutral-on) for the up and down. I hope this makes sense to everyone. The switch works however as I am tracking down electrical gremelins I am thinking this may be one of my culprits.

anyone done it yet and if so what did you use?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Napa auto parts carries some switches for about 5-10 dollars depending on the style. Personally, I would go with a toggle switch similar to the stock ones. They just seem to last long in my case. Also, the gremelins seem to happen a lot in first gens. I wouldn't be suprised if your module is starting to go out if it seems to be a bitch to open sometimes. Hopefully you can get it working
Old 04-17-2006, 07:50 PM

>>Problem is that occasionally it wont work unless the wiper switch is jockeyed around<<
Do LOTS of searching on here about rear window problems before going too far buying new parts. It's just as likely something needs to be adjusted. Seriously, there are probably over a dozen different switches and relays that have to all agree everything is in it's place before the window will work.
One of those, is a relay that checks to make sure the wiper is in the park position. If the wiper isn't parked (or something is happening to make it think it isn't), the window will not roll down. Not because of any issues with the console switch, but because that detector is working properly. Then there are the ones checking to see if the top is on, if the tailgate is open, if it's Thursday...it can be a real hassle.
As far as the switch that is in there, that sounds fubared to me. It should be a 3 position switch on/off/on. It is such a testy part that even in the aftermarket than can be some demand from them, but guys that make their rigs into crawlers and ditch the tops don't need them and sell them occasionally. Best part is, in my experience, the switch doesn't ever actually fail. Usually, they just need to gently pulled apart, have all the crap pulled out of them and cleaned up. Their placement in the console makes them a bucket just waiting to be filled with debris.
Hopefully, the PO didn't really screw up the wiring when they switched the switch. Anyway, search on here about it and you will find tons of info including links to wiring schematics that should help out a lot.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

$6 on Ebay. Just do a search for "Toyota Switch" and you'll find a bunch. Sift thru the pages and you'll find it. People commonly mislabel the switch so its hard to find. Buy-it-now will run you $15-20 but be patient and you can have it for cheap. I think its a lot easier than trying to figure out whats wrong by ripping things out. Just replace the switch and move on.

Aaron

...just hope its the switch is whats wrong
Old 04-17-2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks all, I will continue to search, really think it is the switch, unfortunately the wiring diagram I will need to find now so......