84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

odd starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odd starting problems

Ok, I'm new here, so first off hello everybody, and thanks in advance for the great site and the help.

So, to the problem.
1985 Toyota SR5
short bed, 4x4
22R-E (EFI)

About 8 months ago she started occasionally not starting. Turn key, voltage meter in dash goes down, relay click near computer, NO click from starter. Get out, tap starter, she starts up fine. It did that on and off, gradually getting worse up until now. Right now it’s about a 50/50 chance that she'll start.
I took starter out, cleaned up brushes and commutator (both looked fine) and also the big ring and contacts on the plunger. She started great about 6 times in a row (unusual) but soon sent back to about a 50/50 chance in starting. Usually it started up fine after a couple taps.

Now, just in the last week or so, there have been two times that she hasn't started after a couple of taps. So I get back under the hood and tap the starter again. The engine turned over, and almost started, but seemed to settle down and just spin without "catching." to get it going I had to let off the ignition switch and quickly pump the gas to get the engine going. I have to keep pumping for about 5-10 seconds to keep her from dying again, but after that she idles smooth as can be. It doesn’t do that every time, but twice in the last week seems problematic.

I'm not sure if the two problems are related.

I had the starter tested and it was fine. Not sure it the test would find a faulty solenoid…if that is a possibility here.

Any ideas?

Last edited by marzocci; 04-22-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 AM

When you say no click from starter, that should tell you that the starter has been fine all along and that the solenoid is the issue. Not sure about the other issue.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM

you can buy the contacts and a new plunger for the solenoid on ebay and probably several other places. I use to have a handful of the contacts but dunno where they are now.
as for your start problem, if your attempting to start it several times in a row you could possibly be flooding the engine with the cold start injector. not positive bout that. I'm not sure if it's temperature controlled or what on Toyota
Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 PM

'she'?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:08 PM

intermittant starting problems with 2 new starters

If your starter is not clicking try checking below mentioned items.I would look at safety switch first.If its a auto trans try starting in neutral win problem accurs.If manual hit safety overide button or put jumper wire at switch pigtail/plug on clutch petal.
Runs rough after trying several times because its getting flooded with fuel thats all.

I also have a intermittant starting problem with a 85 and a 86 22re.2 new starters in 85 and 1 new in 86 Starters are from o-reilly/Kragen sounds like starters are clicking.works 85 % of time.Is there anything else im missing besides ignition switch ,FI relay on passanger side,Battery connections/cables and neutral safety switch?
Jason u mention a solenoid is their another one besides one on starter?
Thank's for any help
Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 PM

cold start injector runs continually

New timing chain& valve adjustment, ran good after valves were adjusted & went to crank after setting couple days& cold start injector runs continually as long as ignition is turned on!!!! According to manual its only suppose to run approximately 10 seconds@ tops,when crank up cold, its flooding engine????? Any
suggestions? ???
Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM

their is a time switch box below the throttle body.it controls the time for cold start inj i think.might check that out.also make sure the wire is not grounded out on anything.