84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

New to Me 85 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking New to Me 85 pickup

Hello All,

This is my first post here at yotatech. I am a proud owner of a 1985 Sr5 pickup with a 22re and stock drivetrain. So far i am loving it and plan on daily driving it with some forest use on the weekends with my dirt bike. Everything on it is working properly right now except for the hazards and the wipers.

The windshield wipers are currently not working. The wiper motors work as well as the washer fluid pump. The button on the end of the controller is operating correctly for washing the window and swingin the wipers. The lever seems as though it moves in to many directions which leads me to believe that it is the lever that is not functioning but the button is. Right now the wiper lever moves up and down as if it was a turn signal lever, doesn't seem right. I assume the speeds and what not are changed from the ring on the lever.

Hazards are not working either. When the hazard button is on it cuts off all operation to the turn signals which i assume is what is supposed to be doing. Does this mean the button is working properly and most likely just a relay or something?

I hope my reasoning is leading me in the right direction. I look forward to learning a lot about my truck on these forums, from what i have read there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum whom i look forward to hearing from.

Thanks in advance for your responses,
Jake
Old 12-15-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the wiper control should be a 4 position switch-
all the way up = off
down 1 = intermittent- delay adjusted by "ring" on lever.
down 2 = low
down 3 = high
and as you found, the button is the 'wash' position that squirts and runs the wipers for a few seconds.
the switch in the column may be the issue or it could be wiring

the hazards do interrupt the turn signals. so, check your fuses and the flasher for the hazards and.

I look over some wiring diagrams in a few and see if I can get you some more info.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM

So from what you are saying, the wiper lever moves up and down like a turn signal and has a adjuster ring that controls speed as well? If this is the case then i believe the switch is broken because it doesn't click up or down into any positions but rather moves up and down freely without resistance of any sort. If it were the way its supposed to be it would seem to have infinitely variable positions so i think i have found my problem, anyway to verify?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Motomeister
So from what you are saying, the wiper lever moves up and down like a turn signal and has a adjuster ring that controls speed as well? If this is the case then i believe the switch is broken because it doesn't click up or down into any positions but rather moves up and down freely without resistance of any sort. If it were the way its supposed to be it would seem to have infinitely variable positions so i think i have found my problem, anyway to verify?
I think you have found your problem!
Be sure and post up some pics of your rig. As you probably know 85's are well liked in the yota world.
But be ye warned aaaarrrrgg, the mods never stop!

Thats a good thing.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by texcat101
I think you have found your problem!
Be sure and post up some pics of your rig. As you probably know 85's are well liked in the yota world.
But be ye warned aaaarrrrgg, the mods never stop!

Thats a good thing.
Yeah, i have already kinda got the bug. Can't quite chop it up yet because its my only vehicle and i need to be able to get the dirt bikes into the back of it with ease. Been thinking of cool stuff to do just to make it more bulletproof and rugged. I will get some pictures up when its light out.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the lever just flops up and down then it's likely broken inside and that's almost definitely what's wrong.