84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Fuel Pump Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Help

So the desert hobbies are growing on me, and i decided to buy an 85 4runner that wasnt/isnt running- (couldn't resist, it was such a good deal i thought!!). The PO told me it sat for about a year after he got a new car and got it checked by his mechanic before selling and he said that the fuel pump was shot after sitting and needed replacement. Truck also needs a battery, and has a leaking radiator that hopefully i can just repair instead of having to replace. A friend of mine is coming over this morning to help me install a replacement fuel pump. I found it on craigs list for $40 and couldn't resist.. i am truly hoping i didnt make a mistake as it is a Walbro fuel pump, and isnt (i dont think) a direct replacement for the original. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with the fuel pump situation in the 85 22r(e) engine. I am hoping to be able to figure out how to make this one work when we get into it, but if not i would like to see what you guys have to say before looking into what will probably require spending more money i am sure. Tomorrow i can get some pix up of the truck and the new fuel pump if you guys would like or if it would help. I am loving this forum so far and really appreciate how helpful, well versed and intelligent all of the members here are. I cannot wait to join the rock crawling community (currently located in Southern Arizona) and step number 1 is getting this fuel pump in there properly and to slap a used battery in there for now. Then hopefully i can at least drive her to see whats up with the radiator, but please- send your good vibes in my direction for this reincarnation of a beautiful 4x4!!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Get an OEM replacement is my advice.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-07-2011, 03:42 PM

cheap

I know they arent cheap, but some vet's on here could maybe point me in the right direction to the cheapest OE fuel pump out there?? thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Cool

Bosch or Denso. I bought a cheep one and I had to replace it a year later! I just called around and found the cheepest one locally. Mine is a 1992 and I think the cheepest one was around $165-185. It is a pain in the ass dropping the tank, spend the extra money and you wont have to go through it twice. Good Luck!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:42 AM

different size fuel pumps

So I was just advised that there are two different size fuel pumps that will work with the 85 EFI as a replacement. This is why I was so wary about the one I got off of craigs list. The one originally in my truck is obviously bigger and I assume is the 50mm fuel pump. The one I inevitably got as a replacement is a 30mm. Both apparently work , but the bracket-thing where the fuel pump attaches to seems to only be suitable for a 50mm. Does anyone have any experience with putting in a smaller sized fuel pump? Or some pointers on how to get it to fit into the bracket?? I'd rather not dump the extra money for one when I already have one that will apparently work.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like these guys have said, get the oem don't buy the cheapest one denso is my favorite. I would also get the strainer and filter.
If you go here:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

It is $156

Good luck!

Woody