84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Front suspension sag

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front suspension sag

I've got a bit of a noobish question. I suffer from a very rough, spine jarring ride in my 1984 4x4 pickup. I've already addressed the rear with a Zuk mod, so now the rough ride is isolated to the front end. My front leaf stack is squashed so bad that it's got a negative arc. Pretty easy to see that the rough ride is due to bottoming out.

I'm pretty certain that it's time to replace my front leaf stack. I don't want any lift (although I know I'll have a little after resolving the sag), so I'm going to go with OEM springs.

Long story, I know, but finally the questions:
  1. When replacing the leaf stack, is it also advisable to replace the shackles, even if they look okay?
  2. Along the same lines, should I get a new bolt kit? Or do the bolts usually swap out pretty clean?
  3. Should I also replace the shocks? They're only a little worn, but not sure if I'll need new ones after the sag is resolved.
  4. Anything else I'm overlooking? This truck is my DD, so I don't want it out of commission due to an oversight on my part.
Thanks for any help you can offer. I can take pictures of my setup tomorrow if it will help.

-Dock
Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shackles can be re-used, but its reccomended to get new ones.

personally i ALWAYS get new bolts, if your bushings are worn, theres a chance of wearing the bolt and having shear off. I always get new ones for peice of mind, but thats just me.

as for the shocks, theyre bassicly carrying the front weight of your truck, so theyre definatly worn out, or atleast worn. wich means when you get new leafs the shocks wont be working to their full potential, putting more weight on the leafs, wearing them out quicker. same goes for getting new shocks and using old leafs.

Again, its up to you. Reccomened, but not necessarily necessary
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 AM

I am in the same boat with my 85' 4X4 SR5 project. I have 31.5" tires so I do not want a lift either. I have been doing the research on replacement leafs as well. Turns out that you can get them re-arched for around $100 for both. At least here in AZ. I also plan to replace the shocks with some bilstiens as well as the steering dampner. hopefully this will solve my rough riding problem as well. I called a few off road shops and they sent me in the direction of leaf spring companies locally that do this kind of work. It seems cheaper than the dealer or trying to find OEM leafs for sure.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. Had some unexpected medical issues in the family, and now I'm left with the bill; so front suspension rebuild is having to wait. I will definitely look into re-arcing though, as I can't afford the new OEM's now.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
shackles can be re-used, but its reccomended to get new ones.

personally i ALWAYS get new bolts, if your bushings are worn, theres a chance of wearing the bolt and having shear off. I always get new ones for peice of mind, but thats just me.

as for the shocks, theyre bassicly carrying the front weight of your truck, so theyre definatly worn out, or atleast worn. wich means when you get new leafs the shocks wont be working to their full potential, putting more weight on the leafs, wearing them out quicker. same goes for getting new shocks and using old leafs.

Again, its up to you. Reccomened, but not necessarily necessary
Agreed about the new bolts......But shocks do not carry the weight of the truck. The leaf springs do. The only thing a shock does is absorb the "shock" from the suspension cycling up and down.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Might look into adding a few main leafs from another set into your packs.
Will bring it back to arch, and ride relatively soft.